New Coach Announced at Noon Today (Press Conf. Friday @ 11 @Rent FREE & OPEN TO PUBLIC) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New Coach Announced at Noon Today (Press Conf. Friday @ 11 @Rent FREE & OPEN TO PUBLIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This hiring reminds me of most of my Christmases as a child. I'd ask for a bike or a gaming system and get a 19" TV or a weight bench. Sure they were nice.....but I wanted the bike or gaming system dammit!!!! That sums up my feelings right now.

Reaction Score
Wondering if Randy is still getting residuals from MD to mitigate the base salary.

Maryland fires football coach Randy Edsall

Maryland fires football coach Randy Edsall
By Roman Stubbs October 11, 2015

"The move will have short-term financial implications for Maryland, which must pay Edsall his salary of $2.1 million for this season in addition to a buyout that will cost roughly $2.6 million."

Hopefully he forces us to pony up some incentive dough. Would like nothing more than to see that happen.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I guess we shouldn't expect to see Ryan Donohue at any of the future football alumni events.;)

Reaction Score
Is that the real figure?

Maybe that was part of the sales pitch. Maybe that is also part of his contrition. Get us back to winning and recruiting, and all will be well...

Perhaps one of the donors also had input on the decision. Still going to be as interesting as to who will be the new OC and for that matter DC will be. Looks like Edsall is going to have to eradicate losing from UCONN again. I suppose that means all of Diaco's staff will go?? If not will any be retained??

Reaction Score
Underwhelmed. Not happy. Not sad. It's like taking your ex girlfriend to the prom because you are both kinda losers. Just not sexy at all. But he has my 100% support as of now.

He should get his ass to XL center pronto.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It an acknowledgement of the issues, financial, state of program, his baggage, who is in charge here.

I think everyone would feel a lot worse if RE was makin big dollars with a guaranteed 5 year deal with a huge buy out. Aren't we still complaining about Diaco's buy out?

It sounds like a very adult agreement with all the cards on the table.

On Randy's end it shows a desire for the job and that he isn't just looking for a paycheck.

On Dave's end he recognizes that getting a star coach isn't happening, finances are tight, and that the program can't handle another 3 win season.

It also acknowledges that for all his baggage, Randy can win here. Something the last two guys couldn't do even though we keep sending guys to the NFL.

Anyone here think Holy Cross is going to be hanging around in the 4th Q, next September? Would you have thought the same a week ago?

Obviously, I hope he turns it around enough to warrant an RE Happy Dance Statue outside the Rent, but at bare minimum it is worth a wait and see. I think he at least earned that much with his previous work here.

If his team plays like Bob's team, then he won't be here long enough to matter.

Reaction Score
Do Bonislowski and/or Dennis Brown have any years of eligibility left? Can come in as grad transfers?

Reaction Score
The program was spiraling to the abyss for the last SIX years. RE is the right hire. Who knows UConn FB better than RE. PP and BD? Talking about the next level is delusional. Let's get back to where we were first. RE might have learned quite a bit about himself, how to deal with HS coaches, the media and offense schemes. He can see that changes needed to be made. DB got a fantastic contract with RE, not like the one WM gave to the red pant. Here is wishing RE the best of luck and success at UConn.

Reaction Score
Scott Lutrus is quite happy about this. He's posted on facebook his thoughts and he is ecstatic.

Scott Lutrus with Jon Wholley and 2 others.
1 hr ·
Haven't been this excited about UConn football since running out of the tunnel in the Fiesta Bowl. Beyond excited to have Coach Edsall back in Storrs to restore the football program. Plenty of work to be done, but he's the right man for the job. Would love to see some of the old band get back together. Let's go huskies!

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to, in no particular order, blowing out 1AA teams, returning punts for 6, pressuring quarterbacks, going bowling, blowing defensive linemen off the line of scrimmage, real hard nosed football.

Watching defensive lines look like they quit in the 4th quarter. See ND and USC

Reaction Score
If this is the plan, then I'm OK with RE:

We're at a point where we do not have the $ or clout to attract a top-flight coach, be it a coordinator from a big time FBS program or a hot G5 head coach. That leaves us with FCS coaches and brand new or lower-end P5 coordinators. Both of those are huge gambles. We've just gambled twice and both were disasters, setting back the program immensely. A third disastrous hire would risk the program irretrievably falling into the ditch and permanently losing the fans.

The program is currently bleeding out. Fans are fleeing, alums want no part of the direction it was going, donations and season tickets are plummeting. Randy is a stopgap and a bandage. He's proven he can be a competent coach who can average 7 or 8 wins a year, recruit decently well, and put a product on the field that will attract some people. He'll also bring back the NFL (and other) alums into the program from a support, financial, and potentially coaching perspective.

He's also in his late 50s, so if he can give us six or seven years (starting at a low salary to save some $) of solid program building, bringing us back to respectability, and bringing back the fans that positions us very well to bring in or groom someone to be his successor when he would very realistically retire in his mid to late 60s.

UConn's brand name is still strong athletically and the ceiling is immensely higher than anyone in our league as well as numerous P5 schools. The weak link has always been football, but Randy has proven he can improve the program's stature to a point where it can be attractive to the Moorheads and PJ Flecks of the coaching world.

If the plan from DB is to be sitting there in 2024 (oddly when P5 TV deals are renegotiated!) with 25-30K consistent season ticket holders, home games averaging 90% capacity, some bowl wins, consistently winning 8 games a year, maybe a conference title or a big name bowl win or two, and Randy on the cusp of retirement, that aligns us to be in a place where we can bring in the hot name to take us to the next level. Right now, we have absolutely no shot at attracting that candidate.

Reaction Score
If this is the plan, then I'm OK with RE:RE can gives us a 7-8 season.

If only PP and BD have had a single 7-8 WIN season in their combined 6 years, we would not have had this discussion. If RE can come up with 7-8 season in the next couple years who is to say we cannot be a 9-10 win season in the future. I never bought into the myth that we do not have talent or the NE is not football territory. It's all about spotting talent, recruiting and coaching!!!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
100_3390.jpg

My wife and I are prepared for the press conference.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Edsall did ok but he was never able to bring us to the next level especially in recruiting. This was a dumb choice.
yeah because Hathaway and the admissions put the screws to him making it hard to admit players whom they previously allowed.. Edsall will right the ship, which we need, then we will get the H out of this conference!

Reaction Score
He may not be a sexy choice but I always liked Edsall though was not crazy on how he left. BUT, he built a solid team from nothing got the Huskies to the Fiesta Bowl, Beat ND in Southbend and WV at Home. He has a good eye for talent, most, if not all the UCONN players in the NFL are Edsall products.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Bring back the block C

Hire Mark Helfrich as OC, Edsalls contract would make it seem like we have the money for it.

Don't say much in the press conference, we don't need quote worthy nonsense to bring up after every loss.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It an acknowledgement of the issues, financial, state of program, his baggage, who is in charge here.

I think everyone would feel a lot worse if RE was makin big dollars with a guaranteed 5 year deal with a huge buy out. Aren't we still complaining about Diaco's buy out?

It sounds like a very adult agreement with all the cards on the table.

On Randy's end it shows a desire for the job and that he isn't just looking for a paycheck.

On Dave's end he recognizes that getting a star coach isn't happening, finances are tight, and that the program can't handle another 3 win season.

It also acknowledges that for all his baggage, Randy can win here. Something the last two guys couldn't do even though we keep sending guys to the NFL.

Anyone here think Holy Cross is going to be hanging around in the 4th Q, next September? Would you have thought the same a week ago?

Obviously, I hope he turns it around enough to warrant an RE Happy Dance Statue outside the Rent, but at bare minimum it is worth a wait and see. I think he at least earned that much with his previous work here.

If his team plays like Bob's team, then he won't be here long enough to matter.
Subba,

That post was just too damned rational for this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom