New Coach Announced at Noon Today (Press Conf. Friday @ 11 @Rent FREE & OPEN TO PUBLIC) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Coach Announced at Noon Today (Press Conf. Friday @ 11 @Rent FREE & OPEN TO PUBLIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only positives I see here are that many of the current assistants that I would want to keep would transition smoothly to REs style of play and the moves I've wanted to add speed to our defense (moving de/lb hybrids to de; de/dt hybrids to dt) should be imminent.

In all candor I wanted more than to be able to say"we could have done worse".

Reaction Score
Seems like a good hire to me, it is not a shoot for the stars choice, but best chance to get back to consistently good as quickly as possible. I don't follow college or UConn football closely, so my perspective on Edsall to this point was he was good not great and screwed UConn over the way he left. This certainly is the best way to atone for that, whether he is forgiven immediately or earns it over time is up to each fan & depends on their investment. If I was a left in lurch season ticket holder it'd take a lot longer for me to forgive. Given the quick turnover of last two hires, stability via return to past success & experience are big positives. He'll hit the ground running and have credibility right away. Cautiously optimistic on this.

Reaction Score
Maybe you should check your facts. Edsall was 39-12 at the Rent during his time here. Including going 7-0 at home in 2007 and 6-0 at home in 2010.
Maybe you should check his overall record while at Storrs 22-26 in conference, 74-70 overall and then at Maryland 22-34 over all for a total win loss record of 96-104. And that's stepping up the football program? No thanks.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Dan Orlovsky ‏@danorlovsky7 21m21 minutes ago
Now THAT is some news to come out of a meeting to! FIRED UP for @RandyEdsall and @UConnFootball I feel I know Coach Edsall as good as

Dan Orlovsky ‏@danorlovsky7 20m20 minutes ago
Anyone as a coach and a man, and what the state, the kids and the administration are getting is absolute top notch. Can't wait #TheComeback

Dan Orlovsky ‏@danorlovsky7 19m19 minutes ago
I'm legit so fired up about this!!! #UConnFootball
has D O been under a rock the past 5 years?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the much awaited apology.

"Certainly as I look back on it, I wish I had done things differently in that instance," said Edsall. "I completely understand and respect that there are loyal fans, supporters and former players that still have not forgotten and it will take time to forgive. I have many incredible memories of my time at UConn and I hope the fans do too. It is my goal to get us back to that level of success and I hope that all of the Husky fans out there will be along for the ride."

Reaction Score
LOL at those who think he is here for life with that contract.
If he ever has a good year, and a big if, he will be boarding the next plane out of Bradley to his next dream job. I'm sure he already feels dissed and is just taking it to get back on the wheel.
I don't know why this university, with all the athletic success elsewhere, just cannot do football right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Joe D'Ambrosio@JoeDSports 1 min ago · Bloomfield
It's official @RandyEdsall press conference Friday at 11 @PWStadium FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
meh-cat_featured.png

Conspiracy Kitty is not impressed.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
LOL at those who think he is here for life with that contract.
If he ever has a good year, and a big if, he will be boarding the next plane out of Bradley to his next dream job. I'm sure he already feels dissed and is just taking it to get back on the wheel.

After the dumpster fire at Maryland, his uninspiring game strategy, and media/PR problems--I don't think he has any chance at another P5 offer. The low buyout is probably more beneficial to UConn that it is to HCRE.

Reaction Score
Just think, if this had been done a week earlier we could have had Edsall running the Defense and Jerry Kill running the offense!

My thoughts exactly. I was going to post this in a separate thread.

This combo would have been very good.

Hopefully we can get someone quite good as an OC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
has D O been under a rock the past 5 years?
Nah, it just seemed like it watching the Pasqualoni and Diaco coached teams.

Reaction Score
Leaves a lot of available money to bring in some quality assistants. Maybe we get some sizzle with the coaching hires.

This is make or break for me. Not excited about the hire but it is an obvious and immediate upgrade. Hopefully he's learned a few things about football and himself much in the way time mellowed Geno and even Jim and brought them to a less rigid style with their personnel. We need a GREAT OC that will have the autonomy (love that word) to create an offense that reflects 2016 and beyond, instead of drawing up an offense based on the 1967 Ice Bowl.

And he still needs to address his feelings on how he left and how his Dream Job worked out.

Reaction Score
Maybe you should check his overall record while at Storrs 22-26 in conference, 74-70 overall and then at Maryland 22-34 over all for a total win loss record of 96-104. And that's stepping up the football program? No thanks.
Our record since Edsall is 14-32 (.304) in conference, and 24-49 (.329) overall, so yes, unfortunately it is stepping up the football program. We were not competitive at all since he left. Not saying I love the hire, but lol facts again.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That contract says DB is hedging his bets. This is a stop gap. If RE does great...fine..give him a new deal and build on the future. If he is old Randy, after two years of "meh" football, he can make a change at no cost.

To me....I think BD reaaaaaaaaaly pissed off DB and forced his hand. The only way around the buyout issue was to hire RE at a low rate and bide time.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That contract says DB is hedging his bets. This is a stop gap. If RE does great...fine..give him a new deal and build on the future. If he is old Randy, after two years of "meh" football, he can make a change at no cost.

To me....I think BD reaaaaaaaaaly pissed off DB and forced his hand. The only way around the buyout issue was to hire RE at a low rate and bide time.

It may even be....coach for a couple years...get us stable...then RE gets another position at UConn and they hire a new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom