New AP poll is out | The Boneyard

New AP poll is out

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
AP Women's Basketball Poll Week 11

#1 through #8 remain the same. Lots of shuffling after that, with 11 out of the remaining 17 teams suffering at least one loss last week.

Biggest movers:
  • #11 Ohio State drops to #16, after losing to Michigan State and struggling vs. Purdue.
  • #18 West Virginia falls to #24, after losing to Texas Tech and Texas.
  • #16 Texas jumps to #12.
  • #17 UCLA jumps to #13.
  • #24 Cal falls out, and Texas A&M enters at #25.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Revoke this guy's vote as he apparently only votes on record and not by watching games.

Scott Nulph, Laramie (Wyo.) Boomerang
1. UConn
2. Mississippi St

Nice to see Texas climbing back toward the top 10. I may be wrong, but IMO they are still one of the top teams in the nation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Also wanted to point out that Temple is also receiving votes. Very nice season so far for them. Hopefully the success gets them moving forward and helps Tonya start landing top 100 or even top 50 kids. Without looking at Creme's bracket, it would seem that at least 3 American teams should be in and maybe a few more percolating around the perimeter...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Anyone else think the Ohio State performances have been less impressive than last year?

I also said this in another thread. There's no doubt that their results last year were more impressive for the bulk of the season. They tailed off toward the end of the season, partly due to an injury to Ameryst Alston, their second-leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think the Ohio State performances have been less impressive than last year?
They added Mavunfa, Harper, and Calhoun.
I thought they'd be a lot better!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also wanted to point out that Temple is also receiving votes. Very nice season so far for them. Hopefully the success gets them moving forward and helps Tonya start landing top 100 or even top 50 kids. Without looking at Creme's bracket, it would seem that at least 3 American teams should be in and maybe a few more percolating around the perimeter...

South Florida, Temple and Tulane are in the mix for an at-large bid.
Revoke this guy's vote as he apparently only votes on record and not by watching games.

Scott Nulph, Laramie (Wyo.) Boomerang
1. UConn
2. Mississippi St

Nice to see Texas climbing back toward the top 10. I may be wrong, but IMO they are still one of the top teams in the nation.

I am rooting for Texas, but it's questionable whether they're playing like a top 10 team yet. They're playing well enough to beat the likes of Texas Tech and West Virginia. But Baylor would have their lunch and eat it too.

Reaction Score
I have watched OSU play in several games this year, including in person against UCONN. Several things appeared to stand out to me. One, they don't play defense. It appears that they believe they can outscore their opponents. Didn't work against UCONN and isn't working against some of their other opponents either. Two, they don't play team offense. To much one on one and if you somewhat limit Mitchell and shut down their other players, as demonstrated by UCONN, their offense tents to shut down. Coach appears to be a very good recruiter of high ranked high school players, but appears to concentrate on their rankings and not about how they will interact as a team. Most of their players appear to be concerned about their individual accomplishments and not about playing as a team. Although most of their players are very highly ranked, they would not be recruited by UCONN including their star. Anyway, she wouldn't have ever considered UCONN as Geno didn't have an opening on his coaching staff.

Reaction Score

Dunno about "at least 3". Temple needs to take care of business against the rest of the league and only lose to UConn and USf. Upset losses would seriously hurt their chances.
Tulane has 2 games against UConn, usf, and temple. Not sure they can overcome that.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

In a separate thread (about OSU o/a 12/20)) I made this comment:

"Coach McGuff lost control of this team the day he hired Kelsey Mitchell's dad as Assistant Coach."

Nothing has transpired since to change my opinion.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Looks like I was right. From February in this thread - Parents, Diamond, Stewie And More

Sierra Calhoun shot 31.4% FG and 29.0% 3FG in her time at Duke. Harper shot 38.7% FG and 23.9% 3FG last year at Kentucky. If they shoot like that for Ohio State, there are many teams that will be ahead of Ohio State in the national pecking order.

Calhoun was only a Duke for a short time and it's not uncommon for freshman to struggle with shooting efficiency early on. Nonetheless, she's totally unproven at the college level. Harper has a negative assist/turnover ratio, is a poor shooter, and is a poor free throw shooter. Her steal and rebound numbers are great but I'm not sold on her overall game. I want my guards to be able to pass and shoot and she does neither very well.

Mavunga is a good player but a step below the very best and is also not very efficient offensively.

I think Ohio State will be very good again next year but I'm definitely not sold as those three new players in particular taking Ohio State to another level.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Are you from Planet of the Apes?

Me? Of course not ;)

latest

Reaction Score
In a separate thread (about OSU o/a 12/20)) I made this comment:

"Coach McGuff lost control of this team the day he hired Kelsey Mitchell's dad as Assistant Coach."

Nothing has transpired since to change my opinion.
Was he the big dude decked out in the sloppy sweats at the UConn game?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you add up just all the talent that tOSU has added this year you should have a top 20 team just by themselves.
C: Mavunga #23
PF: McCoy #10
SF: Calhoun #16
SG: Caretti #31
PG: Harper #5
6th Man: Lewis #24

Reaction Score

I think most of the posters here would agree. Their playground style will not beat good teams... they should have a good record because the BIG10 is probably the weakest P5 conference.

Reaction Score
If you add up just all the talent that tOSU has added this year you should have a top 20 team just by themselves.
C: Mavunga #23 a decent player if she is healthy
PF: McCoy #10 could be very good
SF: Calhoun #16 cannot shoot..........33% FG
SG: Caretti #31 has done nothing
PG: Harper #5 I like Harper, but top 5, she is not even close
6th Man: Lewis #24 another athlete that cannot shoot 20% 3s

Those rankings are ridiculous. They have good, not great talent. And terrible coaching, chemistry, etc.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
As far as tOSU is concerned, I wonder how they would play without Mitchell. I sometimes, well mostly, think she forces her offense too much. I would like to see her get others involved. I think the team dynamic is everyman for themselves because they know that's how Mitchell thinks and plays . Just my opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are the one that is using the rankings to make the point that tOSU has an abundance of talent. Rankings are opinions, not facts.
Rankings are based on opinions. Once published the rankings become verifiable fact. But I see why you would want it to be one way,but it ain't.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As far as tOSU is concerned, I wonder how they would play without Mitchell. I sometimes, well mostly, think she forces her offense too much. I would like to see her get others involved. I think the team dynamic is everyman for themselves because they know that's how Mitchell thinks and plays . Just my opinion.
You know, that's a great question. I watched them play vs. UCONN and marveled at her speed, quickness, and how difficult it was for us to keep in front of her. I realize we limited her scoring in the 2nd half, but your point is well taken - to quote Doris, she's NOT a willing passer. Could tOSU play better TEAM basketball if she and her daddy/coach were not involved?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
To recap, previously-vanquished UConn opponents, with South Carolina coming up as well:

#2 Baylor
#3 Maryland
#6 Notre Dame
#7 Florida State
#12 Texas
#16 Ohio State
#19 DePaul
#22 Kansas State
#23 USF

I love our schedule this season; it's unassailable, conference strength notwithstanding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom