New 2015 Commit - Dario Highsmith Jr (Ath) - Middletown HS CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New 2015 Commit - Dario Highsmith Jr (Ath) - Middletown HS CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Pretty sure I said not "just" money.

Okay, well, I'll be clear in the fact that I'M saying it is JUST money. That's the only explanation I can come up with about the fact that he committed to UConn even after he had heard about the offer from Army, and then changed his mind a couple weeks later...

Reaction Score
Okay, well, I'll be clear in the fact that I'M saying it is JUST money. That's the only explanation I can come up with about the fact that he committed to UConn even after he had heard about the offer from Army, and then changed his mind a couple weeks later...

"Highsmith had previously announced he would attend the University of Connecticut as a preferred walk-on, but since that time he and his family met with Army coaches and according to his father, Dario Sr., he made the decision to attend the Academy Friday."

Reaction Score
Going to Army doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be going to prep school next year. The USMA Prep School is now at West Point (formerly at Fort Monmouth New Jersey) and is used by the academy to get players a de facto red shirt year or for them to get better grades if they are marginal. One of the key purposes of the school is pretty obvious when you see that right in front of its gorgeous new building by Washington Gate is a football field. Highsmith might skip the prep school because he's a skill position player rather than a lineman (which is where Army is at a massive disadvantage due to PT requirements and the lack of a traditional red shirt option) and purportedly has strong academics.

Reaction Score
If he was offered a "scholarship" by Army there is no doubt his academics are in order. I wish him well...no matter the choice (Yale, UCONN, West Point) , education wise he was in a win, win, win situation and will get a top notch education.

APA

Reaction Score
Going to Army doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be going to prep school next year. The USMA Prep School is now at West Point (formerly at Fort Monmouth New Jersey) and is used by the academy to get players a de facto red shirt year or for them to get better grades if they are marginal. One of the key purposes of the school is pretty obvious when you see that right in front of its gorgeous new building by Washington Gate is a football field. Highsmith might skip the prep school because he's a skill position player rather than a lineman (which is where Army is at a massive disadvantage due to PT requirements and the lack of a traditional red shirt option) and purportedly has strong academics.
Purportedly is the right word. Nor at all what it once was.

Reaction Score

"Highsmith had previously announced he would attend the University of Connecticut as a preferred walk-on, but since that time he and his family met with Army coaches and according to his father, Dario Sr., he made the decision to attend the Academy Friday."

And??? How does that make my assumption wrong?

Geez - I didn't think I said you're assumption was wrong. I'm just pointing out another plausible explanation on why he may have committed to UConn even after hearing about the Army offer. He hedged his bet until he had a chance to get to campus, meet the coaches and learn about the expectation - it has to be the right fit - no? 8 year post playing days commitment is a long time to just jump on a last minute offer without due diligence.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Geez - I didn't think I said you're assumption was wrong. I'm just pointing out another plausible explanation on why he may have committed to UConn even after hearing about the Army offer. He hedged his bet until he had a chance to get to campus, meet the coaches and learn about the expectation - it has to be the right fit - no? 8 year post playing days commitment is a long time to just jump on a last minute offer without due diligence.

Medic, I'm not mad at you. What I'm saying (and what I've been saying throughout the thread) is that he wouldn't have jumped from UConn if he had a scholarship from UConn in hand. I still stand by that statement. And my point is that if the coaching staff thought that he could make a difference for UConn, they should have offered. Going to the #19 ranked public university in the country for free and playing for State U, he would have stayed here for his college career...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Fighting Army and Yale for football players. What's next? Fighting St. Bonaventure and Siena for basketball players?

You must know zero about the player in question, as he was the Gatorade Player of the year last year and if he played at quarterback to start the season he might have won again. He is talented player who I watched over the past three years grow and showed so much by carrying a team this year that last three offensive lineman with two of them being 6'7" and 260 plus.

Remember he was offered a preferred walk on spot, so not sure why you are being so snarky.

Reaction Score
Medic, I'm not mad at you. What I'm saying (and what I've been saying throughout the thread) is that he wouldn't have jumped from UConn if he had a scholarship from UConn in hand. I still stand by that statement. And my point is that if the coaching staff thought that he could make a difference for UConn, they should have offered. Going to the #19 ranked public university in the country for free and playing for State U, he would have stayed here for his college career...

Looks like you have the answer to your question.

Sounds like a very intelligent, high character young man who was in the unfortunate position of choosing between 3 very incredible opportunities ... we should all be so unfortunate! ;)

Best of luck to him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69