New 2015 Commit - Dario Highsmith Jr (Ath) - Middletown HS CT | The Boneyard

New 2015 Commit - Dario Highsmith Jr (Ath) - Middletown HS CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
There's some good news. Athleticism and pedigree. Welcome Dario.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Dog Pound, Dario!!!

I like when we secure the CT Gatorade players! Welcome aboard, young man...

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Congratulations, Dario. Welcome to UConn!

Reaction Score
Yee Haw !!!! Welcome Dario and family. Big family at that, more fannies in The Dog House!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard and glad to have him!

Wonder if he looked at academics when deciding between Yale and UConn. I mean that in all seriousness because if he did and still went to UConn, that's saying something. (Before anyone jumps all over me I'm not saying UConn is an ivy school or equivalent to Yale. I am just saying we've come a long, long way academically!)

Reaction Score
Best of luck to you Dario, can't have enough playmakers, welcome aboard!

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 10:01pm via TweetDeck
Earlier today Dario Highsmith decided he would be a preferred walk-on at#UConn. Then Army offered a scholarship
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/still-some-decisions-to-make-for.html

>>"I liked what I saw a lot (on a visit to UConn) and just everything about it seemed right," Highsmith said. "Coach (Bob) Diaco explained the preferred walk-on situation to me really well and I saw it as no problem I guess but they it got mixed up because Army offered me. They actually offered me a few hours ago and it really mixied things up for me because it is the different between walking on and playing for free<<

>>Highsmith was being looked at as a running back and a guy who could contribute as a returner on special teams. Other teams viewed him as a defensive back while Army could have him be a quarterback in the triple-option offense.<<

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 10:01pm via TweetDeck
Earlier today Dario Highsmith decided he would be a preferred walk-on at#UConn. Then Army offered a scholarship
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/still-some-decisions-to-make-for.html

>>"I liked what I saw a lot (on a visit to UConn) and just everything about it seemed right," Highsmith said. "Coach (Bob) Diaco explained the preferred walk-on situation to me really well and I saw it as no problem I guess but they it got mixed up because Army offered me. They actually offered me a few hours ago and it really mixied things up for me because it is the different between walking on and playing for free<<

>>Highsmith was being looked at as a running back and a guy who could contribute as a returner on special teams. Other teams viewed him as a defensive back while Army could have him be a quarterback in the triple-option offense.<<

I wonder if Diaco could offer him a scholly in light of this development (assuming he would agree that burning one is the right thing to do). 2013 Gatorade CT POY who runs a 4.5? We probably want this kid in our camp, I'd say. I'm not sure what the rules are on offering a scholly after offering a PWO, but I'm guessing it would be fine. Please don't let another CT kid slip through the cracks...

Reaction Score
I wonder if Diaco could offer him a scholly in light of this development (assuming he would agree that burning one is the right thing to do). 2013 Gatorade CT POY who runs a 4.5? We probably want this kid in our camp, I'd say. I'm not sure what the rules are on offering a scholly after offering a PWO, but I'm guessing it would be fine. Please don't let another CT kid slip through the cracks...

My father- in-law coached at Army. It is difficult to watch old films of players who died in Vietnam. This is not a commit for the faint of heart.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Diaco could offer him a scholly in light of this development (assuming he would agree that burning one is the right thing to do).

My guess is IF it happened it wouldn't be until after the NLI Day surprises pass (one way or the other)... This year's recruiting ride isn't over yet.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
My father- in-law coached at Army. It is difficult to watch old films of players who died in Vietnam. This is not a commit for the faint of heart.

It's not for the faint of heart, but 27k is 27k. And that's what it will cost him for the first year at UConn in-state. And that's assuming that he gets a scholly in year 2. If not, the math gets even harder. I don't know what his family situation is like, as to whether or not they can stomach that. But if they can't, the Army scholly starts to look really pretty...

Reaction Score
It's not for the faint of heart, but 27k is 27k. And that's what it will cost him for the first year at UConn in-state. And that's assuming that he gets a scholly in year 2. If not, the math gets even harder. I don't know what his family situation is like, as to whether or not they can stomach that. But if they can't, the Army scholly starts to look really pretty...

No doubt!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
He needed to prep for a year to go to Yale. It's hard to say no to the US Military Academy though.

Reaction Score
If he was my kid I would have advised him to attend Yale over being a PWO at Uconn or any other 1A school outside of Stanford/Duke/Vanderbilt etc.

With an offer from Army this is a no brainer. If the kid is academically disciplined he has to go to Army. Uconn is a great school....a GREAT school with very strong programs but it's not Army/Navy/Yale/Harvard etc.

If UConn doesn't offer a free education go to Army kid.

Reaction Score
If he was my kid I would have advised him to attend Yale over being a PWO at Uconn or any other 1A school outside of Stanford/Duke/Vanderbilt etc.

With an offer from Army this is a no brainer. If the kid is academically disciplined he has to go to Army. Uconn is a great school....a GREAT school with very strong programs but it's not Army/Navy/Yale/Harvard etc.

If UConn doesn't offer a free education go to Army kid.
HE needed a couple more points on the SAT to attend Yale or it was the prep route. With the Army offer, don't they have Army requirements as well? Or am I off base?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why this is a no brainer move to go to Army? That's a major life changing commitment to make just because they offered you a free ride. I get the whole "it's an honor to serve your country" bit and all but it's still putting your life on the line, just so you can get a good education for free. For some, this isn't such a no-brainer choice. We're not talking paying your way at UConn vs getting a full ride from another equal or better academic University that doesn't have a military enlistment requirement attached to it. By going to Army he is agreeing to serve for a set amount of time. Is this not still the case??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom