Need advice on fitness training... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Need advice on fitness training...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I second this.

Crossfit is a high impact, high quality workout. That being said, when getting back into shape, focusing on a base fitness and building an aerobic base will enable him to get more out of those high intensity workouts at a later date.

People that don't CrossFit should be hesitant of telling others whether or not CrossFit will work for them. I've seen people with a "base fitness" from body sculpting, or having completed P90X multiple times, come in the box and get smoked because they didn't have the cardio or the strength they thought they did. Whether you're a high level athlete (like some NFL players) that has turned to CrossFit, or a complete newbie to fitness, the workouts can be tailored to meet your needs. If you're at a box with coaches that don't encourage this behavior in order to make sure each member is getting proper training, they have bad coaches and you should find a new place to go.

Reaction Score
Agree with writing the goals down.

Disagree with weight being an appropriate goal. Weight is not a measure of health or fitness. Depending on his body type, his current weight, and the exercise routine he picks, he could gain or remain the same weight, lose inches, and become a lot healthier.

LOL. The guy said his goal is to lose 30-35 lbs in 6 months. That's a pretty clear goal. My first question is which is it? 30 or 35? vast majority of adult Americans fit this guy's profile.

I agree with what you wrote, but most people have weight scales at home, and aren't skilled in evaluating BMR's, BMI's, optimum heart rate, and aren't taking their own BP's, and they know how to 'pinch an inch' (I'm dating myself there) but have no idea what skinfold calipers are let alone how to use them. But they do have step on weight scales at home. If there is a health concern with exercise, the doctor is the place to go, not the interwebs, hopefully the dude is smart enough to realize that.

My system will work. It's simple and easy. It works even better, if you put the paper up in a place where your significant others can see it.

Reaction Score
LOL. The guy said his goal is to lose 30-35 lbs in 6 months. That's a pretty clear goal.

Like I said. I disagree with weight being an appropriate goal.

He said his goal is to lose 30-35 lbs of FAT by November.

If that's the case he should stop eating meat (other than fish), supplement with vitamins, walk then run 5 miles a day 5 days a week, and drink nothing but black coffee and water. But that won't mean he is "fit" or "healthy".

If his goal is to lose inches, and fit his clothes better, there are much better ways to do that that than focusing on what he weighs. For example, if he chooses something like CrossFit, he could lose 2-4 inches off his waste in six months, be in far better shape, but only lose about 15-20 pounds. But according to you, he would have failed to reach his goal. That's because his goal wasn't an appropriate one. And you don't need to know your body fat percentage to have appropriate goals.

Reaction Score
Like I said. I disagree with weight being an appropriate goal.

He said his goal is to lose 30-35 lbs of FAT by November.

If that's the case he should stop eating meat (other than fish), supplement with vitamins, walk then run 5 miles a day 5 days a week, and drink nothing but black coffee and water. But that won't mean he is "fit" or "healthy".

If his goal is to lose inches, and fit his clothes better, there are much better ways to do that that than focusing on what he weighs. For example, if he chooses something like CrossFit, he could lose 2-4 inches off his waste in six months, be in far better shape, but only lose about 15-20 pounds. But according to you, he would have failed to reach his goal. That's because his goal wasn't an appropriate one. And you don't need to know your body fat percentage to have appropriate goals.

I agree man. with everything you wrote, but you're doing calculus when this guy needs to start with a number line.

KISS it. KISS principle it. If I'm anywhere near accurate, and I'd bet I am, this guy (which is similar to millions and millions of Americans) needs to learn how much his weight can fluctuate in a single day before trying to figure out what you're talking about. That starts by getting on the scales regularly, and beginning to understand the simple concept of supply (food) and demand (exercise) when it comes to physical fitness.

I won't write anything else. Good luck Ktuck.

Reaction Score
People that don't CrossFit should be hesitant of telling others whether or not CrossFit will work for them. I've seen people with a "base fitness" from body sculpting, or having completed P90X multiple times, come in the box and get smoked because they didn't have the cardio or the strength they thought they did. Whether you're a high level athlete (like some NFL players) that has turned to CrossFit, or a complete newbie to fitness, the workouts can be tailored to meet your needs. If you're at a box with coaches that don't encourage this behavior in order to make sure each member is getting proper training, they have bad coaches and you should find a new place to go.

Yes, but people with base fitness will adapt much more quickly after getting humbled. I've done enough crossfit to know that that someone that is completely out of shape would have difficulty even completing one workout depending on the difficulty level.

Either way, if you haven't done anything for three years and you roll up to a crossfit session then you are in for a rude awakening. I think he wants to generate a workout "habit". The best way to do that is to take baby steps at first.

If there is some sort of Crossfit for complete beginners then go for it. But you hate to see someone new jump into something and then quit because they bit off more than they can chew.

The other thing is that any person regardless of age will get injured more easily up front if they don't ease into it.

Reaction Score

Good Lord. I recommended that he not jump into CrossFit after spending 3 years as a couch potato and gave my first hand experience in CrossFit.

Nobody killed your first born.

Reaction Score
Yes, but people with base fitness will adapt much more quickly after getting humbled. I've done enough crossfit to know that that someone that is completely out of shape would have difficulty even completing one workout depending on the difficulty level.

Either way, if you haven't done anything for three years and you roll up to a crossfit session then you are in for a rude awakening. I think he wants to generate a workout "habit". The best way to do that is to take baby steps at first.

If there is some sort of Crossfit for complete beginners then go for it. But you hate to see someone new jump into something and then quit because they bit off more than they can chew.

The other thing is that any person regardless of age will get injured more easily up front if they don't ease into it.

I'm quoting for reference sake, but not responding directly to you Zoo.

If anyone reading this walks into a CrossFit box without having done anything for 3 years, and they let you work out. Don't ever go back.

If you find one that will let you "on ramp" in one or two sessions. Leave that one alone too.

The better boxes will ease you in over a two+ week period of "on ramp" classes that teach you proper technique while giving you light workouts. Once you're done with that, they should help you pick appropriate weights for the workouts you're going to start completing with the regulars.

Reaction Score
Good Lord. I recommended that he not jump into CrossFit after spending 3 years as a couch potato and gave my first hand experience in CrossFit.

Nobody killed your first born.

I'm not sure why you quoted my response to ZooCougar while defending what you wrote, instead of quoting my response to you. Which one would you like me to explain?

Some people like to be challenged. Some people like to see results. Some prefer the pizza parties at Planet Fitness. If that's you, that's cool. But 6 months of pizza and bagels in between workouts with no programming and no structure is going to make his goal very difficult to achieve.

Reaction Score
I'll attempt to not preach here, and there's plenty of other good advice so far, but a couple of things that I think would be exactly in the wheelhouse you should be going after are:

1. make a move to the primal diet (or at least cut out the crap, you don't have to go all crazy here, but diet is extremely important - this info will give you a bunch of health related incite on how to balance out what you may be doing wrong): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz2zXzyhxJH - there's a book you can buy but if you read through a lot of that starting from primal 101 you'll get a great handle on stuff.

2. If you're starting from scratch and have done weightlifting before, try giving a look into a simple 5x5 program. There are a number of them out there advocated by a number of people from Pendlay to Rippetoe, but I'd say one of the easiest to follow and get into without hurting yourself but still seeing results would be the stronglifts 5x5 program: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ Start from scratch there, very simple and low weight to begin, just making sure you get into good form through repetition.

Just my two cents (full disclosure, I'm not a trainer nor nutritionist, but have a fitness junky side to challenge my beer drinking).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Go for a walk, hike, swim, bike ride, help a friend bury a body, whatever.

You don't need a plan on day one - just move yourself from one place to another.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you quoted my response to ZooCougar while defending what you wrote, instead of quoting my response to you. Which one would you like me to explain?

Some people like to be challenged. Some people like to see results. Some prefer the pizza parties at Planet Fitness. If that's you, that's cool. But 6 months of pizza and bagels in between workouts with no programming and no structure is going to make his goal very difficult to achieve.

Come on man. You're resorting to Nelson strawmen now. You're better than that.

Reaction Score
Ktuck,

I will sum up what you need to do in one sentence.

Move more, eat less.

Reaction Score
Is anybody thinking that this place is probably the worst possible source for fitness advice?

Anyway, this isn't complete until SouthTampa Bill weighs in on the matter . . .

Reaction Score
Come on man. You're resorting to Nelson strawmen now. You're better than that.

And you're replying to comments that weren't made to you as if they were and acting as if they were out of line.

Reaction Score
Do everything everyone else said is about eating the right foods. Counting calories and get a good exercise program going at least four days a week. Whatever you choose work up a sweat walking is a great way to start a running program but trying to lose weight by walking is like bake a cake with a cigarette lighter.

Last advice just make it a priority

Also to keep you honest. Sign up for a tough mudder or Spartan race. Pay the entry fee.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I haven't worked out in 3 years. It shows. I can't even figure out how to get started it seems. Energy levels are at an all time low. Not good considering I'm now 43. I used to work out ( moreso weight lifting ). Now, I know I need something that would give me a boost to get me back in order. I'd like to make quick strides by the early August, where, by that time, I should be down about 20 lbs. along with a few inches... Goal is to lose 30 to 35 lbs of fat by November. Any suggestions?

Haven't read the whole thread, but the way to make the quickest strides is (oddly) by taking it slowly. You are much more likely to injure yourself (especially the older you get) in the beginning after a long layoff. If you rush it, the odds increase greatly. And the key getting fit is consistency. 'You can't make the club from the tub'. Nothing saps your motivation like being injured. Also, when you do get that injury, you are more likely to subsequently reinjure, whether through improper rehab or overcompensation.

Also, with regards to diet: don't starve yourself or go on an all protein or all 'healthy' food diet. There's a reason those things almost universally fail. The body really wants all those foods that you are avoiding (do to being deprived) and people normally give in to temptations. It usually ends in binging.

The key is to eat balanced meals, full of variety, without massive portion sizes. You can eat some fatty foods, as long as it's good fat. You can also treat yourself a couple times a week to something "not healthy", just keep the portion small.

Don't bother with shakes either, as the reversion rate is pretty high.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
A lot of good advice. This program might be right for you as well.
Couch to 5k

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Join CrossFit if one is near you. Go 3x a week and diet.

https://www.crossfit.com/ Check affiliates for a box near you.

I would say that, if he hasn't worked out in 3 years, then signing up for crossfit could be bad news. It's too intense and would likely lead to injury. He should probably start walking daily. Some pushups/dips and such every few days. Bicycling if he's got one. Work up to jogging. Take things slow. If he likes swimming, that's ideal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you have not worked out in a few years I would NOT recommend CrossFit. Get in shape first and then if you're ambitious, give it a whirl. But to go into it after not working out for 3-4 years, rough. It's also tough on the joints. I tried for a few months but it was too intense and they didn't modify the workouts to account for my bad knee.
You were at a bad box then. I am 60 and had knee surgery in the last 18 months. They modify almost everything for me.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You were at a bad box then. I am 60 and had knee surgery in the last 18 months. They modify almost everything for me.

Were you relatively fit? Or were you coming from nothing?

Reaction Score
I'm quoting for reference sake, but not responding directly to you Zoo.

If anyone reading this walks into a CrossFit box without having done anything for 3 years, and they let you work out. Don't ever go back.

If you find one that will let you "on ramp" in one or two sessions. Leave that one alone too.

The better boxes will ease you in over a two+ week period of "on ramp" classes that teach you proper technique while giving you light workouts. Once you're done with that, they should help you pick appropriate weights for the workouts you're going to start completing with the regulars.
Cross fit is great if you have the right coach that will scale you properly and makes you focus on form. Did it religiously for 18 months and it's a dedicated community. Changed jobs/boxes and quit formal crossfit. Trainers in new box were young and inexperienced. Focused more on volume/time than form.....choose wisely

Reaction Score
I would say that, if he hasn't worked out in 3 years, then signing up for crossfit is probably going to be a disaster. It's too intense and would likely lead to injury. He should probably start

CrossFit is a great workout. But it's not for everyone and someone who hasn't done anything in years should probably start off with something a little less intense.

Who knew that would be considered such a controversial statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom