Nebraska transfer Andrew White | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nebraska transfer Andrew White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Andrew came in as a transfer from Kansas and everyone understood why he left there, because he wanted to play. He worked hard for us in the year he had to sit out and was a great player for us last year. But this offseason as he was touring the NBA and going through workouts you could tell that his huskers team at home was the last thing on his mind. When he tweeted his return about withdrawing from the draft all he said was "I am returning to college basketball". It really caught me off-guard that he was leaving, next year was suppose to be one of our best years in the last decade and now our best player just abandons us because he thinks going to a blue-blood school will better help his non-existent draft possibilities?

So you begrudge a 21 year old for exploring his options?

Reaction Score
Andrew came in as a transfer from Kansas and everyone understood why he left there, because he wanted to play. He worked hard for us in the year he had to sit out and was a great player for us last year. But this offseason as he was touring the NBA and going through workouts you could tell that his huskers team at home was the last thing on his mind. When he tweeted his return about withdrawing from the draft all he said was "I am returning to college basketball". It really caught me off-guard that he was leaving, next year was suppose to be one of our best years in the last decade and now our best player just abandons us because he thinks going to a blue-blood school will better help his non-existent draft possibilities?

The overwhelming sense of entilement from college sports fans always amazes me

Reaction Score

Nebraska had no problem trying to woo the Utah DT that was a graduate transfer who ultimately ended up at USC.

Pot meet kettle.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I don't know that UNL fans are mad that he's leaving for a grad transfer- Kevin Williams left the football team for UK via grad transfer this year and he was supposed to be the starting DT this fall for us. I think its more to do with the fact that its almost July and the whole time Andrew had said it was either NBA or Nebraska, Miles goes out of his way to help him in the NBA and pulls strings to get him a couple of workouts he wouldn't have gotten and then leaves in June.

If Purvis announced now he was leaving via grad transfer people would be upset. Same thing here.

Reaction Score
I don't know that UNL fans are mad that he's leaving for a grad transfer- Kevin Williams left the football team for UK via grad transfer this year and he was supposed to be the starting DT this fall for us. I think its more to do with the fact that its almost July and the whole time Andrew had said it was either NBA or Nebraska, Miles goes out of his way to help him in the NBA and pulls strings to get him a couple of workouts he wouldn't have gotten and then leaves in June.

If Purvis announced now he was leaving via grad transfer people would be upset. Same thing here.

Right, but Nebraska sucks.

Reaction Score
Question ? If we took White and we were being considered for the B1G could Neb. hold a grudge?

Reaction Score

People would be upset, should they be, not so sure - but to each their own. The kids should use the system to the best of their advantage because the system will sure ass hell use them with no qualms.

Reaction Score
Question ? If we took White and we were being considered for the B1G could Neb. hold a grudge?

Eh, they could only have a reasonable beef if they thought we tampered with the kid and got him to leave. There's no way that's the case.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But one advantage to the grad transfer is that they are one year only. That sucks sometimes, as I'd have liked for more than one year of Kromah, Gibbs, and Miller, but if any of those messed with our chemistry it's over quickly. And while our recruiting is trending up, we had enough lean years we're the cupboard isn't as full as it could be. Hopefully the program is a year or two away from needing the talent infusion, but with all the youth next year in key positions, another reliable scorer with experience would be fine with me.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But one advantage to the grad transfer is that they are one year only. That sucks sometimes, as I'd have liked for more than one year of Kromah, Gibbs, and Miller, but if any of those messed with our chemistry it's over quickly. And while our recruiting is trending up, we had enough lean years we're the cupboard isn't as full as it could be. Hopefully the program is a year or two away from needing the talent infusion, but with all the youth next year in key positions, another reliable scorer with experience would be fine with me.

I think taking a grad transfer is often times short-sighted. If you're already a final four caliber team and you add that missing piece through a grad transfer, that makes sense. When you have a team of talented freshman/sophomore's (like we do) that have the potential to be very good in a couple years, you can stunt their development. I'd rather we not take a grad transfer this year and let the younger players see the court more and build chemistry.

Reaction Score
Sorry too talented to say no or at the very least dig in and see if there's a fit. Again, we are lucky to sniff the NIT last year without Gibbs/Miller.

At what cost down the line, though? Enoch and Adams both would have had more playing time last year if we didn't have Gibbs and Miller.

I'm not saying I wish we didn't take them, but there's really no experience like live game experience.

Reaction Score
At what cost down the line, though? Enoch and Adams both would have had more playing time last year if we didn't have Gibbs and Miller.

I'm not saying I wish we didn't take them, but there's really no experience like live game experience.
And if we didn't take them we are stuck with the next Rakim Lubin and Sam Cassell Jr.

Reaction Score

Enoch averaged 7 fouls/40 minutes. He would have played more if he had adjusted to the speed of the game and could stop fouling.

Reaction Score

Agreed with Adams. He was clearly going to be a key part of the team down the road. I think taking Gibbs was a mistake and especially if the intention was to have him play the point. He took time from Adams and didn't really help the team from my perspective. Miller, on the other hand, got us into the tournament. Without him, we don't make it. And I am not sure he stunted the growth of anyone that is a legit key piece to the future of the team. I just don't see that with Enoch or Facey. So, the question is, who would this kid from Nebraska play over? If it is a key player in our future, don't take him. If he would fill a spot until we bring in a key player, take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom