ND vs UCLA today. ND without Turner and Reimer | The Boneyard

ND vs UCLA today. ND without Turner and Reimer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Turner injured her shoulder in practice. Same shoulder that was previously injured. No diagnosis yet.
Who is #2 ? I'm going with Baylor. I'll have to wait on Turner's prognosis before placing ND there.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Turner injured her shoulder in practice. Same shoulder that was previously injured. No diagnosis yet.
Who is #2 ? I'm going with Baylor. I'll have to wait on Turner's prognosis before placing ND there.
Compounding matters, Taya Reimer's achilles condition is not getting any better and she's out today, as well, leaving the Irish really undermanned at the post/down-4 positions. Only Kathryn Westbeld remains. While she was usually viewed as the complementary piece to Reimer and/or Turner, she's really solid and has played well this year. Still...need another player to step up and/or help...Christina Nelson is coming back from a year off and the rust is slowly coming off. Against smaller teams, don't be surprised to see Mabrey2 down low. She rebounds well and is pretty tough. Still, the Irish need Turner and Reimer at full strength....

Reaction Score
They probably can play a little, and maybe they just want to make sure they are 100% for UConn...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So far ND is more than holding its own; Ruth Riley doing color, always liked her.
ND is out rebounding UCLA, drawing much more fouls, ahead at half-time by 10, minor surprise.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not sure how much Reimer is playing, but she did start. From twitter updates, sounds like the sisters Mabrey are carrying much of the load.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
trade baskets, 35 seconds to go, ND game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
ND by 6, 9s to play. Luck of the Irish.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Notre Dame in overtime 92-84
Somehow I don't think Maddie Cable, Marina Mabrey, and Kathryn Westbeld (the stars of the 2nd half at least)
are enough to do much more than Nebraska accomplished.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ND has left Uconn with another in-tact record, namely the aforementioned "highest-lowest" single-game margin of victory for the 2013-14 season. The record is 11, and squad after squad is winning by 10 or fewer in November. As in already. This record may never be broken.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
ND will get waxed by UCONN but oh well. More worried about the rest of the season.

Folks listening to the radio broadcast report that the way the Turner injury is being discussed is ominous. If she is out for a long spell, ND's ceiling is significantly lowered.

Glad they won today though. These close games are good experience for Rico and Marina.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
ND will get waxed by UCONN but oh well. More worried about the rest of the season.

Folks listening to the radio broadcast report that the way the Turner injury is being discussed is ominous. If she is out for a long spell, ND's ceiling is significantly lowered.

Glad they won today though. These close games are good experience for Rico and Marina.
How's Ogunbowale doing?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
ND has left Uconn with another in-tact record, namely the aforementioned "highest-lowest" single-game margin of victory for the 2013-14 season. The record is 11, and squad after squad is winning by 10 or fewer in November. As in already. This record may never be broken.

I will be surprised if UCONN doesn't break the record this season. The only team capable of staying within 20 points of Connecticut is Notre Dame, and it doesn't look like that will happen next weekend.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Last season one of Duke's players (Chidom) had a similar injury (i think). Eventually she ended up going the surgery route in Feb.. and missed the rest of the season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So are they gonna make room in the top 25 for UCLA?

If every team that challenges a top-10 pick (this season) deserves consideration...
We'll have 25 teams in the top-ten.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Last season one of Duke's players (Chidom) had a similar injury (i think). Eventually she ended up going the surgery route in Feb.. and missed the rest of the season.

Artichoke posted again about this on the ND board. Apparently per the SID season ending surgery is a possibility but it depends on the MRI and what route Turner and her family want to take.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She looks good but the shots aren't dropping for her. Typical freshman stuff. She'll be very good when the game slows down for her.
Getting to the basket well, but not hitting enough of her free throws, as well. However, I agree with you...she'll be fine once it all "slows down."
That's happened earlier for Mabrey2, who has has had a run of three excellent games, including the UCLA game. Will be interested to see her against OSU guards.

Reaction Score
The gap between UConn and everyone else was ridiculously wide to begin with. Because of Muffett's superior coaching and the consistent warrior mentality of her players, ND was the default #2 team in my estimation. Now Turner may be gone for the year, and Reimer is limited. This is a very sad development, both for the players themselves and for the prospects for a fun game next week. Beating ND is so much more satisfying, however predictable, when they're at full strength. Now it may be up to SC alone to make things interesting. Tenn, despite earlier promise, obviously doesn't have it....maybe Baylor? Barring its own injury bug (heaven forbid!), UConn was gonna fourpeat anyway, but the health of the game requires a more competitive scenario. We'll be excited, sure, but for the rest of the country a collective yawn!

HGN

Reaction Score
News reports had Notre Dame's Turner being ready for this weeks showdown with UConn. Reimer is back playing. It just comes down to whether Turner will be playing at 100%. My hope is that Turner doesn't try coming back too soon and further injures her shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom