ND had a poor shooting night and still won by 10 | The Boneyard

ND had a poor shooting night and still won by 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ND shot 27 of 73 from the field............OUCH!!........Still won by 10 and Maggie Lucas quit shooting in the 2nd half and had 7 points..........Plus she fouled out.......I did not see the game, but I was following it and PSU

Not a great stat game for either team...

Reaction Score
Only won by ten. Penn St committed 22 turnovers and was destroyed on the offensive glass, so why didn't Notre Dame score more and win by more. They certainly had enough opportunities.

Reaction Score
My mom made me miss the game :mad:
Only won by ten. Penn St committed 22 turnovers and was destroyed on the offensive glass, so why didn't Notre Dame score more and win by more. They certainly had enough opportunities.
The title says something about poor shooting-no?

Reaction Score
Lucas didn't quit shooting, she couldn't get open.

ND lacks a quality point guard, and shooters, Mabrey hit a couple of late 3s, but not many outside shots were made. ND also missed several lay-ups.

On the plus side, Reimer played well, 12 points, and 10 rebounds off the bench

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND lacks a quality point guard, and shooters, Mabrey hit a couple of late 3s, but not many outside shots were made.

Not sure this statement is very accurate. As a freshman, Lindsay Allen is performing very well at PG for the Irish. While she isn't one of the primary scoring options, she is hitting a high % when she does shoot and is doing a great job of handling/distributing the ball with a 2:1 Ast/TO ratio. Look at the stats below and tell me what more you could expect from a PG, let alone a freshman PG.

|---TOTAL---| |---3-PTS---| |----REBOUNDS----|
## Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

15 Lindsay Allen...... 7-7 184 26.3 26-38 .684 5-7 .714 10-13 .769 3 14 17 2.4 16 0 29 14 3 14 67 9.6

As a team ND is shooting 49.6% overall and 41.7% on 3's. But unlike UConn who who relies heavily on 3-pt shots (31.5% of all shots taken), ND prefers taking shots in the paint more, and only shoots 3's 14.8% of the time. Two very talented teams with different styles based on their coaching and roster make-up. Both offenses are highly effective and yield balanced scoring, although UConn definitely has a deeper, better quality bench.

Based what I have seen so far, UConn is definitely the #1 ranked team, followed by Duke and ND, who I believe will provide the best competition for the Huskies this season. After that, there are some good teams, but none that appear to be able to play quality ball on a consistent basis, and who really would have a difficult time staying within 15-20 points of UConn over a 40-minute stretch. In my estimation, only Duke stands in the way of UConn advancing to the Final Four undefeated. While the LV's will be trying to grind their way to Nashville, the Huskies will be pounding opponents into submission and busting down the gates to Bridgestone Arena in their quest for their 9th National Championship.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But unlike UConn who who relies heavily on 3-pt shots (31.5% of all shots taken), ND prefers taking shots in the paint more, and only shoots 3's 14.8% of the time.
That will certainly benefit UCONN with their excellent interior defense. (hands down).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not sure this statement is very accurate. As a freshman, Lindsay Allen is performing very well at PG for the Irish. While she isn't one of the primary scoring options, she is hitting a high % when she does shoot and is doing a great job of handling/distributing the ball with a 2:1 Ast/TO ratio. Look at the stats below and tell me what more you could expect from a PG, let alone a freshman PG.

|---TOTAL---| |---3-PTS---| |----REBOUNDS----|
## Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

15 Lindsay Allen...... 7-7 184 26.3 26-38 .684 5-7 .714 10-13 .769 3 14 17 2.4 16 0 29 14 3 14 67 9.6

As a team ND is shooting 49.6% overall and 41.7% on 3's. But unlike UConn who who relies heavily on 3-pt shots (31.5% of all shots taken), ND prefers taking shots in the paint more, and only shoots 3's 14.8% of the time. Two very talented teams with different styles based on their coaching and roster make-up. Both offenses are highly effective and yield balanced scoring, although UConn definitely has a deeper, better quality bench.

Based what I have seen so far, UConn is definitely the #1 ranked team, followed by Duke and ND, who I believe will provide the best competition for the Huskies this season. After that, there are some good teams, but none that appear to be able to play quality ball on a consistent basis, and who really would have a difficult time staying within 15-20 points of UConn over a 40-minute stretch. In my estimation, only Duke stands in the way of UConn advancing to the Final Four undefeated. While the LV's will be trying to grind their way to Nashville, the Huskies will be pounding opponents into submission and busting down the gates to Bridgestone Arena in their quest for their 9th National Championship.

To me, it's all about who she had these stats against.

Versus the only two decent a teams, she was 2-7. She does take care of the ball, a primary duty for a point guard.

Time will tell if her inexperience will impact ND against Duke and even Maryland.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Her inexperience may - but doesn't take away from Stray Cat's point - what more can you reasonably expect from a freshman not at UConn? And, alas, she can only play against the teams she is scheduled against.

Reaction Score
To me, it's all about who she had these stats against.

Versus the only two decent a teams, she was 2-7. She does take care of the ball, a primary duty for a point guard.

Time will tell if her inexperience will impact ND against Duke and even Maryland.

I agree, the stats against weak teams don't mean much. Allen wasn't a scoring threat last night, and was burned on defense several times. She needs experience, and strength.

McBride played some PG, but contrary to the BTN announcer she was out of control.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would give some credit to both teams' defenses. Often fans will look at the score of other teams and when 2 of them are highly ranked, it's easy to be critical and say "they didn't play well", or "shot poorly", but I think you have to credit both ND's and PSU's defenses for the "poor" shooting.

I agree with the posters who said UCONN, Duke, and ND are the top 3 teams. I'd love to see Tennessee as the 1 seed on UCONN's side of the bracket if they are lucky enough to earn a 1 seed, or as the 2 seed right in UCONN's bracket.

Reaction Score
I watched part of the game because it was the first time I've watched Notre Dame this year. I thought ND looked pretty good. I should've recorded it so I could study how they play.

PSU needs to make adjustments on their offense to get Lucas open. ND did the same as UCONN and denied her the ball the whole game. On top of that three PSU starters got into foul trouble. Lucas fouled out.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There are games that are decided by 10 points and there games that are decided by 10 points.

This was the latter.

Vesperlynd.jpeg

On balance, ND looked very good, on another level than PSU. Quick to the ball, strong *with* the ball, aggressive on the glass, great interior passing, just an excellent all-around game. Of course I would favor UCONN over anyone head to head, but if we meet ND it will be a tough game as always.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I watched the whole thing. Had to buckle my seat belt to do it. Notre Dame figured out how to deny Lucas the ball, which was not that hard on a night the rest of the PSU starters decided they could not shoot. Lucas's first two points were foul shoots with 5 minutes to play. PSU interior defense was awful. Hard to read much off of this one frankly.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Notre Dame looked sloppy, much like our Huskies looked the other day vs. Ohio State, but not sloppy enough to stop Maggie Lucas and win the game. Penn State, on the other hand, looked poorly coached. They did not look like a team that knew what it was doing. And yet they still managed to come within 10 points of #5 ND.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Her inexperience may - but doesn't take away from Stray Cat's point - what more can you reasonably expect from a freshman not at UConn? And, alas, she can only play against the teams she is scheduled against.
I don't know what Uconn has to do with it.

I have no idea what more to expect. To me unless it's in games where there is relative talent, her performance is great but not as meaningful.

Alas, I didn't think I was blaming her for the schedule.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I don't know what Uconn has to do with it.

I have no idea what more to expect. To me unless it's in games where there is relative talent, her performance is great but not as meaningful.

Alas, I didn't think I was blaming her for the schedule.
As a Notre Dame fan, I have been thrilled with Lindsay Allen. I wasn't able to watch the Penn State game, and it's possible her defense was bad. But she has shot the ball extremely well thus far this season and has been very careful with the ball. Doggy, I'm not sure why the only games you count are the Penn State and the Michigan State games, as those were her only off games. DePaul was also top 25 when Notre Dame played them, just like Michigan State was, and neither is top 25 now. Sagarin has Michigan State ranked 33rd and DePaul ranked 34th, whereas Massey has DePaul (37th) ranked 17 spots higher than Mich. St. (54th). So if you want to count the Michigan State game (the 2nd game of her college career), then you should also count DePaul. Here are her stats over those 3 games against teams that were top 25 when Notre Dame played them:

8/15 from the field (53%)
2/3 from 3-pts (67%)
14 assists to 5 turnovers (2.8 ratio) with 4 steals
8.3 pts/game

I'd say she's off to a great start as a true freshman starting at the point.

Reaction Score
ND 1st big road game..............Could you imagine UCONN and ND in the Big 10?............

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As a Notre Dame fan, I have been thrilled with Lindsay Allen. I wasn't able to watch the Penn State game, and it's possible her defense was bad. But she has shot the ball extremely well thus far this season and has been very careful with the ball. Doggy, I'm not sure why the only games you count are the Penn State and the Michigan State games, as those were her only off games. DePaul was also top 25 when Notre Dame played them, just like Michigan State was, and neither is top 25 now. Sagarin has Michigan State ranked 33rd and DePaul ranked 34th, whereas Massey has DePaul (37th) ranked 17 spots higher than Mich. St. (54th). So if you want to count the Michigan State game (the 2nd game of her college career), then you should also count DePaul. Here are her stats over those 3 games against teams that were top 25 when Notre Dame played them:

2/3 from 3-pts (67%)
8.3 pts/game

If the idea is to get as far as you can in the NCAA's, games against teams like DePaul and Michigan state don't mean much.

I'm glad you are happy with her. Let's see how she does against Tennessee, Duke, Maryland and even UNC.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
If the idea is to get as far as you can in the NCAA's, games against teams like DePaul and Michigan state don't mean much.

I'm glad you are happy with her. Let's see how she does against Tennessee, Duke, Maryland and even UNC.
No, I don't think that games against Michigan St OR DePaul are very indicative of how well a player will perform in the NCAA's. My argument was that if you were going to count the stats in the Spartan's game, why wouldn't you include the stats of the DePaul game, since the teams are very comparable. I felt you cherry-picked your stats to prove your point as opposed to gathering the data and THEN making your conclusion.

But if we're only going to consider games against top 10 opponents, then we have very little to go on for any team this early in the season, as we don't even know which teams are truly top 10. And the games between teams that are 'consensus' top 10 are few and far between. If we consider that UConn had 3 such games this season, are the individual stats from these games indicative of how well these players will perform at the end of the season in the NCAA's? Of course not. Stefanie Dolson shot 7/23 in those 3 games (30%), was 0/5 on 3-pts, had 9.3 reb/game, 3 ast/game, 0.7 st/game, 3 blocks/game, 2.3 TO/game and scored 6.7/game. I fully expect Stef to play much better than that in the NCAA's, although her rebounds and blocks were excellent. You seem to be condemning a FRESHMAN because she didn't play well in her first road game against a top 10 opponent. I think we need a larger sample size before making such pronouncements.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No, I don't think that games against Michigan St OR DePaul are very indicative of how well a player will perform in the NCAA's. My argument was that if you were going to count the stats in the Spartan's game, why wouldn't you include the stats of the DePaul game, since the teams are very comparable. I felt you cherry-picked your stats to prove your point as opposed to gathering the data and THEN making your conclusion.

But if we're only going to consider games against top 10 opponents, then we have very little to go on for any team this early in the season, as we don't even know which teams are truly top 10. And the games between teams that are 'consensus' top 10 are few and far between. If we consider that UConn had 3 such games this season, are the individual stats from these games indicative of how well these players will perform at the end of the season in the NCAA's? Of course not. Stefanie Dolson shot 7/23 in those 3 games (30%), was 0/5 on 3-pts, had 9.3 reb/game, 3 ast/game, 0.7 st/game, 3 blocks/game, 2.3 TO/game and scored 6.7/game. I fully expect Stef to play much better than that in the NCAA's, although her rebounds and blocks were excellent. You seem to be condemning a FRESHMAN because she didn't play well in her first road game against a top 10 opponent. I think we need a larger sample size before making such pronouncements.

I reread my posts in this thread, and I don't see where I condemn her. In fact I think I said she performed great in most of her games.

And I also said we need a larger sample size mentioning Duke, Maryland, TN and maybe UNC. You appear agree with me.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I reread my posts in this thread, and I don't see where I condemn her. In fact I think I said she performed great in most of her games.

And I also said we need a larger sample size mentioning Duke, Maryland, TN and maybe UNC. You appear agree with me.
Mea culpa, Doggy. It was not you who said that Notre Dame lacked a PG.

I have been happy with Allen's progress, but all freshman face a steep learning curve when it comes to defense. I have a feeling that she'll get up to speed quickly, as she seems to be a fast learner. It's my guess that the Irish coaches have been focusing more on the offensive side of her game, as a PG needs to learn a lot to run a team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Mea culpa, Doggy. It was not you who said that Notre Dame lacked a PG.

I have been happy with Allen's progress, but all freshman face a steep learning curve when it comes to defense. I have a feeling that she'll get up to speed quickly, as she seems to be a fast learner. It's my guess that the Irish coaches have been focusing more on the offensive side of her game, as a PG needs to learn a lot to run a team.

No problem. I screw up on this board daily.

Reaction Score
As a Notre Dame fan, I have been thrilled with Lindsay Allen. ................................................ Here are her stats over those 3 games against teams that were top 25 when Notre Dame played them:

2/3 from 3-pts (67%)
8.3 pts/game

Allen looks to be having a great freshman year. The stat that could be telling though is the 26 mins/game. That can wear out a freshman. And as a point she has to work harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom