ND cancels 2015-2017 games vs Michigan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND cancels 2015-2017 games vs Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What? ND is going to the acc, partially.

And I just wrote that NBC could choose not to get involved in a bidding war.

If the Big East is as valuable as some seem think it is, and they are going to pay us ungodly sums of money, why get in a bidding war for the ACC?

NBC has ND, they don't need to pay the ACC to keep them. They can keep ND, and they can buy the Big East for less than the ACC. So why would they get in a bidding war, that doesn't exist? And why would ND put themselves in a situation where they have to join the ACC when they are having their cake and eating it too? You keep concluding that ND is going to join without acknowledging the fact the deal they struck makes it very lucrative and convenient for them to NOT join.

i just edited my post, my bad. anyway.

espn would open up the contract if teams were added. uconn and nd football lets say. if it was just uconn or no teams added, then the contract never opens up. so the trick is nd wants to keep nbc but get in a league to get in line for what ever the bcs playoff becomes years down the road here. nbc knows this becuase nd made its choice with its move to the acc for other sports. now nbc can sit back and say, why should i buy the nig east and give it a good competitive dollar when i can wait 2 more years, add uconn and nd football and get a monster. this can give us all the fall programing we need and we would be #1 in winter come bball time. hell what do u know uconn and nd joined bc in hockey east. hmm maybe we will do a couple college puck games with the nhl as so on.

nbc has nd, but they can get alot more. nd isn't enough to create, carry and improve a sports network. the acc could be considering how strong that league would be in all sports. think about the baseball/soccer/bball games espn and espnu would be missing out on programing wise.

the deal nd struck gets them to 2015 as a saftey move. as they know the bcs playoff stuff will be young and just starting to evelove. they basically jumped the gun and got themselves ready for the future. very nice job by nd. the playoff will be ever changing and eventually it will be some type of bracket/setup where it benefits schools like nd and byu more to be in a conf. nd just accelerated that by showing it knows whats happeninga nd is not going to hold it up.

Reaction Score
It's hard to keep up with your logic. You've basically made NBC responsible for adding UConn rather than the ACC. And you make a ton of assumptions that are highly debatable.

AND, you've assumed that UConn would increase the value of the ACC by enough money to warrant them agreeing to add an additional mouth to feed. If UConn was so valuable to the ACC, why weren't we already brought along with ND??

NBC can do what you proposed, but ND doesn't need to do any of that because they have a seat at the playoff table, and they aren't losing it.

ND isn't giving up their independence until they have to, and it is unwise to assume they will have to. As long as the playoffs are administered by bowl games, ND will have a seat. No bowl will agree to excluding them.

Reaction Score
For the ACC that would be the equivalent of you coming home from Teds at 2:00 am drunk, alone, and horney and finding a naked Jennifer Anniston and Kate Upton asking you if you're up for a cold beer, boneless buffalo wings and a threesome.

But I don't think that ND wants to play in this little game. What does ND get by sharing with the ACC when they can keep it all to themselves?

You'd ruin that with boneless wings? Really?

Reaction Score
Well, they are made from breast meat.. I think. I've lived off of them from airport Chili's to Go in traveling. I am very low brow. Who would have thunk my boneless wings would be curious to a crowd hanging out at the Boneyard.

You'd ruin that with boneless wings? Really?

Reaction Score
ND has been flexing its muscles of late, cutting a favorable playoff deal as an independent, cutting a favorable ACC deal and telling Michigan to go **** in a hat.

How many schools could do that?

Jack Swarbrick has had a great 4-5 months

Having ND start out 4-0 with a great recruiting class (currently #4 on Rivals) is icing on the cake.

It would not surprise me if ND cancelled all three Big Ten series, at least as yearly games.

Those schools refused to play ND after September.

While other schools opened with FCS schools and teams like Idaho and Louisiana-Lafayette, ND usually played three Big Ten teams in a row to start the year.

ND has the Midwest covered with six home games a year. There is no real need to play Big 10 teams every year.

It will play in the Northeast against Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College and Navy.

ND has the West Coast covered with USC and Stanford. It has games now set up in the Southeast with ACC teams such as Clemson, Miami and FSU.

It has a series with Texas and one with Oklahoma set up. My guess is that it wants more Big 12 games to cover Texas and the Southwest.

They may occasionally take the show up to the Pacific Northwest with games against schools like Washington or Oregon State.

I think ND wants to be able, outside the required ACC games, to schedule teams in recruiting hotbeds and all over the country.

Jettisoning the annual Big Ten games gives ND back a lot of its scheduling flexibility lost by the ACC deal.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
ND has been flexing its muscles of late, cutting a favorable playoff deal as an independent, cutting a favorable ACC deal and telling Michigan to go **** in a hat.

How many schools could do that?

Jack Swarbrick has had a great 4-5 months

Having ND start out 4-0 with a great recruiting class (currently #4 on Rivals) is icing on the cake.

It would not surprise me if ND cancelled all three Big Ten series, at least as yearly games.

Those schools refused to play ND after September.

While other schools opened with FCS schools and teams like Idaho and Louisiana-Lafayette, ND usually played three Big Ten teams in a row to start the year.

ND has the Midwest covered with six home games a year. There is no real need to play Big 10 teams every year.

It will play in the Northeast against Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College and Navy.

ND has the West Coast covered with USC and Stanford. It has games now set up in the Southeast with ACC teams such as Clemson, Miami and FSU.

It has a series with Texas and one with Oklahoma set up. My guess is that it wants more Big 12 games to cover Texas and the Southwest.

They may occasionally take the show up to the Pacific Northwest with games against schools like Washington or Oregon State.

I think ND wants to be able, outside the required ACC games, to schedule teams in recruiting hotbeds and all over the country.

Jettisoning the annual Big Ten games gives ND back a lot of its scheduling flexibility lost by the ACC deal.
Thank you for your interest in UConn football. I am assuming this is spam?

Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UConn football. I am assuming this is spam?

Isn't this a four page long thread about Notre Dame and its schedule?

Reaction Score
How messed up the values of all of this is evident by our Notre Dame interloper. "Notre Dame is flexing its muscles". I guess the way we determine winners now is by who gets screwed over and who is doing the screwing.

Although I am quite sure that Michigan will be fine without Notre Dame, the fans are the ones getting screwed here. While the Presidents and ADs will do whatever it takes to get that extra dollar, yet another long standing, traditional rivalry is the casualty all because these guys keep trying to get into a better country club I always thought college football was about tradition and history. Evidently not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The ND head coach still sent a kid to his death and got away scott free.

Reaction Score
Reason #1001 why all of college football - the BCS/Power Conferences anyway - should bring ND to it's knees until such time as it forced into a conference for football too. Boycott them.

Reaction Score
Reason #1001 why all of college football - the BCS/Power Conferences anyway - should bring ND to it's knees until such time as it forced into a conference for football too. Boycott them.

TDH: if your goal is to prove to this board that persistence is not always a virtue -- well, I've got to hand it to you.

Reaction Score
TDH: if your goal is to prove to this board that persistence is not always a virtue -- well, I've got to hand it to you.

lol, it's gone well beyond simply not being a virtue biz.........

Reaction Score

Boycott...? There's tha word again. Hey, by any chance were you on Des' Football Chat yesterday??

Reaction Score
The reason this is a fairly interesting deal is that if ND were staying at a 5 game ACC schedule, there'd be no reason to opt out of the Michigan game, they'd have plenty of room in their 7 OOC games for it.
5 ACC
2 USC/Navy - these games will NOT end
1 Shamrock Series
1 Michigan
1 MSU
1 or 2 Purdue and/or Stanford (also can be Shamrock game)
1 (if necessary) other big conference opponent, or lower BCS team if the rest is chock full of high powered teams.

Where's the reason here to drop Michigan? To replace them with who? They've got all of their rivalry games, they've got their neutral site game, and they've got their 5 ACC games.

They play Purdue and Stanford somewhat sporadically, mostly because Purdue sucks and most years Stanford has sucked. Only reasonable answer is more ACC games.

8-9 ACC
2 USC/Navy
1 Shamrock Series
1 Rotating MSU/Michigan/Purdue/Stanford (or play one of these in the Shamrock game)

This really is the only plausible reason why they'd back out of the current Michigan contract.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The reason this is a fairly interesting deal is that if ND were staying at a 5 game ACC schedule, there'd be no reason to opt out of the Michigan game, they'd have plenty of room in their 7 OOC games for it.
5 ACC
2 USC/Navy - these games will NOT end
1 Shamrock Series
1 Michigan
1 MSU
1 or 2 Purdue and/or Stanford (also can be Shamrock game)
1 (if necessary) other big conference opponent, or lower BCS team if the rest is chock full of high powered teams.

Where's the reason here to drop Michigan? To replace them with who? They've got all of their rivalry games, they've got their neutral site game, and they've got their 5 ACC games.

They play Purdue and Stanford somewhat sporadically, mostly because Purdue sucks and most years Stanford has sucked. Only reasonable answer is more ACC games.

8-9 ACC
2 USC/Navy
1 Shamrock Series
1 Rotating MSU/Michigan/Purdue/Stanford (or play one of these in the Shamrock game)

This really is the only plausible reason why they'd back out of the current Michigan contract.
My understanding is that they want a West coast game every year, so they keep Stanford to alternate with USC. I'm sure TerryD will post 5 pages from their public relations department to expound upon this strategy and why it is indicative of ND's excellence in the 21st century.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that they want a West coast game every year, so they keep Stanford to alternate with USC. I'm sure TerryD will post 5 pages from their public relations department to expound upon this strategy and why it is indicative of ND's excellence in the 21st century.
They will play USC every year unless the world explodes. If the world explodes, they'll still play Navy. A good friend of mine is very, very tied into ND sports (not an insider with realignment stuff), multiple family members played football for ND over generations, and he unequivocally told me if they stopped playing either of those two schools, the alumni would riot and tear down the golden dome and TD Jesus. Ironically, next on his list of must-have games was Michigan. I do see the west coast thing, but thats the purpose of the Shamrock Series. If they're playing 5 ACC games only, I cannot see how they drop Michigan in favor of anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The plausible reason to drop Michigan is that they don't play them at home every year and have to actually go to Ann Arbor. Replacing Michigan with a team that will play in South Bend or at a neutral site with Notre Dame as the home team may be important now as they are on the hook to play some road games now.

Reaction Score

And if your goal is to prove to this board that attacking poster IS a virtue (as oppose to simply posting to the contrary) because - heck, if you think otherwise then there is no other opinion worthy of being posted - well, the you can go "hand it" to yourself in the same manner that Notre Dame does it's associates in college athletics . :rolleyes::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom