ND cancels 2015-2017 games vs Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this will just get the acc for fball buzz going more

Reaction Score
It probably won't happen, but would be great if we could sign a long term series to fill that gap with Michigan. With Tenn on the schedule, it's not likely.

A neutral split gate game at the meadowlands would be the icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
this will just get the acc for fball buzz going more
How so? We already knew they agreed to play 5 games against ACC football teams and that some of their traditional games were going to have to be cancelled.

Reaction Score
Okay, now the the Wolvies need a replacement, Is our Wolverine alum A.D. burning up the phone lines to get UConn in as the replacement for the Leprechauns? PLEASE?

edit: didn't see the line above addressing this as I was typing away.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This past weekend's result notwithstanding, this is about guaranteeing future wins for the Irish. It is clear that Brady Hoke has Michigan on the upswing. While no one will remember that ND beat up on Duke, NC State, and Boston College to get there, at least they will have a 9-3 record. Cream puff stats.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
How so? We already knew they agreed to play 5 games against ACC football teams and that some of their traditional games were going to have to be cancelled.

nd preping for a full acc slate post 2015 where they will only have 3 ooc slots. navy/usc will be those 2. msu/mich/pur/stan types are great rivals but not on the same level so nd will have to pick 1 of them for slot 3 but in the mean time redo the schedule as needed. sound slike michigan is slot 3 for the future but not possible in the short term.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clearly the Irish needed to free up space for the Fenway UConn series.

Reaction Score
nd preping for a full acc slate post 2015 where they will only have 3 ooc slots. navy/usc will be those 2. msu/mich/pur/stan types are great rivals but not on the same level so nd will have to pick 1 of them for slot 3 but in the mean time redo the schedule as needed. sound slike michigan is slot 3 for the future but not possible in the short term.

I think you decide on a conclusion, and then find a way to reach it by making it up as you go along. That's the only way this post makes any sense. Just my honest opinion.

Reaction Score
I said a long time ago, I'd rather extend our playing agreement with Michigan. Michigan will have some out of conference room on their schedule. I'd love to see us get another game on the schedule with Michigan.

Reaction Score
At this point is there any real benefit to ND for remaining independent? This just points to the inevitable, they will be in the ACC in all sports when their NBC contract expires in 2015 and NBC decides to pony up a little more to get the ACC network when the 16th, Uhm (uconn) team joins the conference.

Reaction Score
Now if we could only find someone with Michigan ties to get us considered in their schedule......hmmmmm...let me think.....

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will not move its football to the ACC. I'm not sure if you guys have noticed, but they have everything they want:

5 ACC games (including guarantee wins against Wake, BC, Syracuse,Pitt (FCS type programs)
Navy (the only game that will never be dropped)
2 Big 10 (Purdue/MSU/Northwestern)
Stanford and USC, one west coast, one ND home each year
1 "Major" game: Texas, Oklahoma
1 Neutral site gimmick/ buzz game (Ireland, Fenway?)

Access to OB, and other ACC bowls

Access to FBS playoff

All sports in the ACC, which is the best conference for the sports ND cares about, including bb and the preppy sports

Why would ND ever give up this arrangement?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will not move its football to the ACC. I'm not sure if you guys have noticed, but they have everything they want:

5 ACC games (including guarantee wins against Wake, BC, Syracuse,Pitt (FCS type programs)
Navy (the only game that will never be dropped)
2 Big 10 (Purdue/MSU/Northwestern)
Stanford and USC, one west coast, one ND home each year
1 "Major" game: Texas, Oklahoma
1 Neutral site gimmick/ buzz game (Ireland, Fenway?)

Access to OB, and other ACC bowls

Access to FBS playoff

All sports in the ACC, which is the best conference for the sports ND cares about, including bb and the preppy sports

Why would ND ever give up this arrangement?

Exactly. ND all in for football makes no sense now. They got an amazing deal. The only way they're all in is if they lose NBC, IMO.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
isn't it possible that nd to the acc in 2015 for fball happens, then the acc contract opens up and nbc out bids espn? nd still is on nbc and now the acc gets a fat check from nbc?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm surprised. I thought the Michigan game would be one the ones they would keep.

Reaction Score
For the ACC that would be the equivalent of you coming home from Teds at 2:00 am drunk, alone, and horney and finding a naked Jennifer Anniston and Kate Upton asking you if you're up for a cold beer, boneless buffalo wings and a threesome.

But I don't think that ND wants to play in this little game. What does ND get by sharing with the ACC when they can keep it all to themselves?

isn't it possible that nd to the acc in 2015 for fball happens, then the acc contract opens up and nbc out bids espn? nd still is on nbc and now the acc gets a fat check from nbc?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
For the ACC that would be the equivalent of you coming home from Teds at 2:00 am drunk, alone, and horney and finding a naked Jennifer Anniston and Kate Upton asking you if you're up for a cold beer, boneless buffalo wings and a threesome.

But I don't think that ND wants to play in this little game. What does ND get by sharing with the ACC when they can keep it all to themselves?

by the acc leaving espn and going to nbc the contract will be new and higher than the 17mil the acc gets now. what nd and other acc teams get is they can give nbc tier 1 and espn tier 2 or something like that and keep there own tier 3 $$ compared to it just going into the pot right now. so a team like nd would make a killing of tier 3. the $$ will be there. schools like fsu would love that tier 3 wise as would uconn.

Reaction Score
by the acc leaving espn and going to nbc the contract will be new and higher than the 17mil the acc gets now. what nd and other acc teams get is they can give nbc tier 1 and espn tier 2 or something like that and keep there own tier 3 $$ compared to it just going into the pot right now. so a team like nd would make a killing of tier 3. the $$ will be there. schools like fsu would love that tier 3 wise as would uconn.

Or, ESPN kicks in a few extra million to keep them around, NBC doesn't have the will to overpay, when they can still get ND, and none of that happens.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Or, ESPN kicks in a few extra million to keep them around, NBC doesn't have the will to overpay, when they can still get ND, and none of that happens.

so now nd is going to the acc?

edit-in order for espn to kick in more it would be nd for fball being added...

if its a bidding war then thats great for the acc $$ wise and nd $$ wise...

Reaction Score
Why would ESPN want to share any content with NBC? Such a scenario might be good for NBC (some ACC games and ACC schools), but what's in it for Notre Dame? If the ACC was smart, before they signed their very long term deal with ESPN, they should have tried to get a joint NBC/ND/ESPN deal a la the Big 12 with Fox/ESPN. That would have been blockbuster for the ACC.

Instead, Swofford was more concerned about Raycom then doing something like that.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised. I thought the Michigan game would be one the ones they would keep.
People think that, but Michigan is a relative newcomer to the Notre Dame schedule. They've only been playing each other regularly since 1980 or there abouts. Before that it was pretty sporadic. Their real long term rivals include Navy, USC, Purdue and Michigan State. they have been playing all of those teams since the 1920s on a pretty regular basis...oh there may be brief gaps but they are few and far between. ND and Michigan stopped playing each other in 1909 except for a couple of games during the war years that one or the other doesn't really count since they didn't consider football a full varsity sport for the duration (the other does count them...can't remember who is which though) and didn't resume until somewhere around 1980.

Reaction Score
so now nd is going to the acc?

if its a bidding war then thats great for the acc $$ wise and nd $$ wise...
What? ND is going to the acc, partially.

And I just wrote that NBC could choose not to get involved in a bidding war.

If the Big East is as valuable as some seem think it is, and they are going to pay us ungodly sums of money, why get in a bidding war for the ACC?

NBC has ND, they don't need to pay the ACC to keep them. They can keep ND, and they can buy the Big East for less than the ACC. So why would they get in a bidding war, that doesn't exist? And why would ND put themselves in a situation where they have to join the ACC when they are having their cake and eating it too? You keep concluding that ND is going to join without acknowledging the fact the deal they struck makes it very lucrative and convenient for them to NOT join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom