NCHC says no to ASU Hockey | The Boneyard

NCHC says no to ASU Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
ASU and Minnesota State won't be joining the NCHC as was previously thought. Seems that the lack of a home arena may be the cause of the issue.

Link

Hmmmmm . . . Not quite sure what to think of this. I thought it was a sure thing and ASU was heading to the NCHC. I guess ASU and Minny State could apply to the WCHA, but with teams like Northern Michigan (Go Cats!), Michigan Tech, Ferris State and Lake Superior State, would those schools want to take on the additional long distance travel. They are already traveling to two different Alaska schools and The University of Alabama - Huntsville. The additional trip to Arizona might be a tad cost prohibitive to these small state universities.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's really tough for Arizona State.

A few months back, they're looking at either the Big Ten or the NCHC and now they straight have no where to play.

They might come back around to ASU, though. Might be an interesting year...the two Alaska schools have a serious financial crisis looming and one or both may disappear.

dayooper

Reaction Score
WCHA, door not totally closed on NCHC permanently either.

If one of the Alaska teams folds, I think the WCHA is where they wind up. ASU will always look to move up and the NCHC is what they are looking for. I don't see the small schools of the WCHA just adding teams that far away when they already travel to Alaska twice and Alabama as well. The WCHA consists of all D2 schools except for Bowling Green. They don't have the money to be making four long road trips a year. The UP schools (NMU, Michigan Tech and Lake Superior State) have the added issue of flying out of the UP in the dead of winter. Trust me, I know from experience.

Reaction Score
The WCHA also needs some warm bodies that can compete, and who have fans. You're right travel is an issue though. Also, the NCHC said they weren't expanding "at this time," but in an interview this week the NCHC commissioner definitely left the door open to expanding in the coming years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jesus.

I'll go quietly.

dayooper

Reaction Score
The WCHA also needs some warm bodies that can compete, and who have fans. You're right travel is an issue though. Also, the NCHC said they weren't expanding "at this time," but in an interview this week the NCHC commissioner definitely left the door open to expanding in the coming years.

Yeah, the WCHA might need members eventually. Right now they have 10 teams and losing an Alaska school and Minnesota State wouldn't kill them. The four Michigan schools actually have pretty good attendance for their size.

I think the article is correct in that they don't have a true home arena is the reason for the NCHC turning them down right now.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the WCHA might need members eventually. Right now they have 10 teams and losing an Alaska school and Minnesota State wouldn't kill them. The four Michigan schools actually have pretty good attendance for their size.

I think the article is correct in that they don't have a true home arena is the reason for the NCHC turning them down right now.
They can add freaking Robert Morris and RIT and be ok. Just have a weird conference name, given the location of schools. Sad that the Alaskan programs would be in trouble. They do average 2K+ a game.

Reaction Score

There's some in the media who believe there'll be a new league formed in the mold of an old CCHA, don't know if that would involve the mashup of current WCHA and AHA schools, but there's definitely room for a new home with less travel for some schools. The future landscape looks like there'll be some definite change and the only two schools who definitely won't lose anyone are the B1G and Hockey East, with the NCHC also likely not losing anyone though I do believe UND could be poached by the B1G at some point.

Reaction Score
It's funny that some people around the country have major doubts about "New England college football", but they accept without question college ice hockey in Arizona.

How is ASU hockey being accepted? They can't find a place to play

Reaction Score
There's some in the media who believe there'll be a new league formed in the mold of an old CCHA, don't know if that would involve the mashup of current WCHA and AHA schools, but there's definitely room for a new home with less travel for some schools.
Of course it would.

I just hope SHU has it's stuff in order soon enough. They could use Webster Arena but Notre Dame-Fairfield (the high school) and SHU would be well served to have their own rink nearby. That campus is having a lot of work done on it.

Reaction Score
Of course it would. I just hope SHU has it's stuff in order soon enough. That campus is having a lot of work done on it.
I highly doubt they'd get an invite to such a new league, they have literally no fans. It'd likely be the Great Lakes schools, RIT, and Air Force.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt they'd get an invite to such a new league, they have literally no fans. It'd likely be the Great Lakes schools, RIT, and Air Force.
Time shall tell. I do know SHU wants to grow hockey. All they actually need is their own fancy rink. Their fanbase is definitely stronger than AIC. You know Bentley is building it's own rink now.

Reaction Score
Time shall tell. I do know SHU wants to grow hockey. All they actually need is their own fancy rink. Their fanbase is definitely stronger than AIC. You know Bentley is building it's own rink now.
SHU is in talks to play all games at the Bridgeport arena. Having a fanbase larger than AIC is like saying you're taller than an ant.

Reaction Score
SHU is in talks to play all games at the Bridgeport arena. Having a fanbase larger than AIC is like saying you're taller than an ant.
If SHU moves there, I'll probably buy a season ticket. :p

I mean an on-campus rink. Fanbase is too small for Webster.

ASU has the money to play as an independent for the time being.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Why does Air Force like playing in the East so much?

Reaction Score

If SHU moves there, I'll probably buy a season ticket. :p
I mean an on-campus rink. Fanbase is too small for Webster.

Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN 20 hours ago
Sacred Heart is close to signing a contract that would move all of its home games to Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
No idea. The program is decent, probably could be competitive in the NCHC and definitely could in the WCHA.

Right. It's a big-ish brand. A few good hockey schools near them. You'd think they'd want to play those schools, not the AHA schools.

Reaction Score
Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN 20 hours ago
Sacred Heart is close to signing a contract that would move all of its home games to Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.
This is very big news for SHU. Far better platform than Milford Ice Pavilion.

Is that for this upcoming season?

Air Force competitive in the NCHC? I'd be very impressed if they could pull that off.

Niagara on board with AHA scholarship changes

They are reporting Webster Bank Arena as a done deal for this upcoming season. Awesome. AIC is moving to Mass Mutual Center in Springfield. Will be interesting to see if they can fill the void left by the AHL Falcons. That dyke along the CT River by the Olympia Ice Center is kinda cool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox