National Semi Final question ... | The Boneyard

National Semi Final question ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Decided to watch the Notre Dame game again . In the first half ....Moriah is guarding Skyler and gets called for a foul for putting her hand very close to her face ....blocking her vision ....so to speak . There was no contact involved ... so where did the foul come in ? Sounds like good defense to me ....unless there's a rule that I wasn't aware of that says you can't block the opponent's vision .

Reaction Score
Decided to watch the Notre Dame game again . In the first half ....Moriah is guarding Skyler and gets called for a foul for putting her hand very close to her face ....blocking her vision ....so to speak . There was no contact involved ... so where did the foul come in ? Sounds like good defense to me ....unless there's a rule that I wasn't aware of that says you can't block the opponent's vision .
Yes, there is a rule about putting your hand too close to someone's face, imo it is a good rule and one that prevents injury.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Speaking of the ND game, who in the name of common sense chose those unis and what were they thinking? The shade of green on the shirts and warmups was unfortunate, the yellow-green shading made them even worse, the shorts looked like the bottoms of mebbe shortie pajamas, or decorative bloomers. Sheesh!! (Mrs. z feels the same way, only more so.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Speaking of the ND game, who in the name of common sense chose those unis and what were they thinking? The shade of green on the shirts and warmups was unfortunate, the yellow-green shading made them even worse, the shorts looked like the bottoms of mebbe shortie pajamas, or decorative bloomers. Sheesh!! (Mrs. z feels the same way, only more so.)
Totally agree! Sort of like our old gray uniforms - definitely deserved to lose for wearing that crap!
There is no penalty for non contact blocking of vision, but not all refs are perfect!:confused:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Face guarding or eye guarding is not illegal in the NBA unless contact is made.

In college ball the rule is as follows, note that the result is a technical foul.

"College
The National Collegiate Athletics Association defines face guarding as, "Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes" in Rule 10, Section 6, Article 1 in the official rules, which cover both men's and women's basketball. The offender is penalized with a technical foul resulting in a free throw for the opposing team."

The rule dates back to 1913.

"10-3-6 Player Technical

A player shall not commit an unsporting foul. This includes acts...such as:

d. Purposely obstructing an opponents vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his/her eyes."

Link to an officials discussion: http://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56940-face-guarding.html

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Face guarding or eye guarding is not illegal in the pros unless contact is made.

In college ball the rule is as follows, note that the result is a technical foul.

"College
The National Collegiate Athletics Association defines face guarding as, "Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes" in Rule 10, Section 6, Article 1 in the official rules, which cover both men's and women's basketball. The offender is penalized with a technical foul resulting in a free throw for the opposing team."

The rule dates back to 1913.

"10-3-6 Player Technical

A player shall not commit an unsporting foul. This includes acts...such as:

d. Purposely obstructing an opponents vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his/her eyes."
Wow - you learn something every day. Do not believe I have ever seen this called as a foul or a technical.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Interesting about face-guarding. I'd always taken the term to mean guarding a player without paying attention to where the ball is.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks for providing the rule, but no technical was called, was it? So did they call an ordinary foul for contact?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The bx score doesn't list any technical, which isn't conclusive proof, I think technicals are rare enough that they sometimes fill out "none" by habit.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A foul was definitely called what I not sure of is whether it was a technical or not. Was the ball taken out of bounds or did Skylar shoot. Out of bounds would mean it was likely only called as a non-shooting foul. If, however, she shot then it was a technical foul. ND was not at 1-1 at that point to the best of my memory. It a non-shooting foul was called the officials blew the rule.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just watched it again. Jefferson barely brushed her face, if at all. The called that light contact because it was the face and Jefferson held her hand in front of Diggins face for a few seconds.

Certainly no technical. It was called a regular foul.

And thanks for prodding me to watch again. Such a fun game to watch.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thanks, DD. It was an out of bounds penalty wasn't it.

Calling it as a foul after reading officials discussions indicates there is no basis for calling it as a foul because simple contact with another person is not a foul. If it is face/eye guarding then a technical is the proper call.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Thanks, DD. It was an out of bounds penalty wasn't it.

Calling it as a foul after reading officials discussions indicates there is no basis for calling it as a foul because simple contact with another person is not a foul. If it is face/eye guarding then a technical is the proper call.

No, not an out of bounds play. Diggins was dribbling up court under pressure from Jefferson. She lost her dribble and had to pull up. Jefferson closely guarded her and put her hands in front of Diggins eyes. Jefferson might have brushed her eye as Diggins appeared to flinch and the foul was called. No other contact was made.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
So the odd thing is that if contact is made it is an ordinary foul, but if no contact if made, it could be a technical foul. Hmmm.

Edit, I'm probably over-simplifying this. I suppose if they were about to call face-guarding as a technical, and then saw contact, they wouldn't reconsider the technical, they could still call it. And in converse, if they thought the hand in the face wasn't blatant enough to call a technical, but then saw contact, they would whistle the ordinary foul.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, not an out of bounds play. Diggins was dribbling up court under pressure from Jefferson. She lost her dribble and had to pull up. Jefferson closely guarded her and put her hands in front of Diggins eyes. Jefferson might have brushed her eye as Diggins appeared to flinch and the foul was called. No other contact was made.

No, did it result IN an inbounds play. Sorry, for my mistatement I meant inbounds not out of bounds. I remember the play quite well since I rewatched all of the tournament regional and FF on last Friday. I just couldn't remember the outcome of the penalty.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Technically, it should be called a technical either way. Incidental contact is not necessarily a penalty but face/eye guarding is, especially, when done from behind.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It wasn't a shooting foul. In bounds play. She might have gotten away with it but Skylar turned her back on her and Mo's hand followed around, making it very apparent. Silly and potentially dangerous move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom