National Championship Goal: Something's Gotta Give | The Boneyard

National Championship Goal: Something's Gotta Give

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When the Huskies play South Florida on Sunday it will be a meeting of the two remaining undefeated teams in the AAC ...so something's gotta give! Also, there may well be an even BIGGER collision. That's because seniors Breanna Stewart and Courtney Williams both plan on winning the National Championship this year. But ...they're not on the same team ...so again, something's gotta give!

We all know that Stewie is on record as saying her goal is to win four national championships during her UConn years. But now, someone else also has a goal regarding this year's national championship.

Courtney Williams:
“We want to win a national championship. Going to the Final Four and beating Connecticut, those other things, they come with winning a national championship. That’s definitely the goal.”

What are the chances that Courtney Williams and South Florida become the stopper for Breanna Stewart and UConn?

I think slim.

I'm already starting to feel sorry for Courtney. From all accounts, she's seems like a nice kid.

[LINK]

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Courtney is a great kid, and this year she has some weapons. If Alicia is able to play (ankle), we will earn our win down there. Won't be a cakewalk, by any means.

Reaction Score
Courtney Williams is some kind of player. I am impressed with her. I was also impressed with
Tyler Gilbert of Houston last night. She took it right at us and Houston is much improved over
last year.

Reaction Score
At this point Butler is the key to us winning another National Championship. We may have enough to win out without her, but lately I've been sensing the loss of Kiah Stokes more and more. For the last few years our opponents' paint has been a "no fly zone" for other teams.

What Stef and Kiah meant to our defense was more than just that they neutralized the enemy posts, they took drives away from those flashy guards and mobile wings that had previously compiled impressive stats against lesser opposition.

If the Mitchell's, C. Williams and others of their ilk can get to the basket their teams offenses open up and multiple options are available on every play.

When we force our opponents scorers away from the basket they become prey for Mo, Gabby, and our other scavenging defenders.

Shutting down the inside changes game plans and when we've done that in the past we've dominated. Before she's done what KLS does on the inside helping with her height to rebound and to seal that six foot arc in front of the basket may prove to be more important to us than what she can offer from beyond the the three point line.

If Natalie can give us twenty to twenty-five strong minutes of defense each game and contribute six or eight rebounds, her points will be a bonus because Stewie will use being freed from the post to rampage her way to what has always been her ultimate goal. You know......

Reaction Score
Didn't someone say that Jenkins and Ms.Williams weren't playing on sunday?

Reaction Score
You must not have seen Baylor play.
I have, and S.C. and Ohio State and I would take Courtney over any PG on any of those teams. They have a stronger supporting cast. No disrespect to any of their players, it's just personal preference I guess.

Reaction Score
If she=Williams then she is also not a PG. More SG\Sf.
If you get a chance to watch tomorrow's game you might see the offense runs through her. I guess that is how I determine her to be a PG. She will probably take about 20-25 shots and D-up on Moriah. I have seen them play 2 times and will be there tomorrow and she gives Moriah fits. It's a great match-up to watch. She is quick, can jump through the roof and gets open almost at will. She has a complete game and I suspect it will translate well in the WNBA. Enjoy the game.

Reaction Score
No one has mentioned it so far, but having Morgan back for Sunday (which I expect) is penicillin for the Houston game. Or more properly a sedative. Tuck is the essential calming influence for the team, as she projects solidarity that rarely varies. I don't often read about "presence" in reference to sports, but some players definitely have it. This team needs the anchor that Morgan provides: Husky Rock.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you get a chance to watch tomorrow's game you might see the offense runs through her. I guess that is how I determine her to be a PG. She will probably take about 20-25 shots and D-up on Moriah. I have seen them play 2 times and will be there tomorrow and she gives Moriah fits. It's a great match-up to watch. She is quick, can jump through the roof and gets open almost at will. She has a complete game and I suspect it will translate well in the WNBA. Enjoy the game.
I have been watching Courtney play for a while now she is a terrific BB player and better athlete. Don't forget that USF was with UCONN in the former Big East. There is no doubt the USF offense runs through her. As far as giving Moriah fits that is definitely not true. Almost a year ago exactly USF came into UCONN and walked away with a 42 point loss. Williams ended up with 23 Points but it took her 25 shots to get there and it was Freshmen Nurse and Moriah handing out the fits that day. Moriah had perfect shooting day getting 15 points on only 6 shot attempts. Courtney has a terrific mid range game and is a gifted offensive player but she is far from a "complete" player. Hardly any of her athleticism shows up on the defensive end of the floor and she is 42% shooter. Good rebound numbers but relatively low assist numbers.
One other thing because I have criticized Diamond for this also. Courtney took almost 400 more shots last year than the next USF player last year at that rate she is the definition of a "volume shooter" and there is no good connotation of that term in a team sport if your team is to be successful.

Reaction Score
I have been watching Courtney play for a while now she is a terrific BB player and better athlete. Don't forget that USF was with UCONN in the former Big East. There is no doubt the USF offense runs through her. As far as giving Moriah fits that is definitely not true. Almost a year ago exactly USF came into UCONN and walked away with a 42 point loss. Williams ended up with 23 Points but it took her 25 shots to get there and it was Freshmen Nurse and Moriah handing out the fits that day. Moriah had perfect shooting day getting 15 points on only 6 shot attempts. Courtney has a terrific mid range game and is a gifted offensive player but she is far from a "complete" player. Hardly any of her athleticism shows up on the defensive end of the floor and she is 42% shooter. Good rebound numbers but relatively low assist numbers.
One other thing because I have criticized Diamond for this also. Courtney took almost 400 more shots last year than the next USF player last year at that rate she is the definition of a "volume shooter" and there is no good connotation of that term in a team sport if your team is to be successful.
Courtney takes approximately 33% of the team's shots. By contrast Stewie is our most prolific shooter with 18.4 of all our shots. Courtney makes around 42% of her shots while all of our starters and high minute subs have a a materially higher shooting % (except KLS who is about the same). It would seem to be in our interest to have her take as many shots as possible.
Its great to be a UCONN fan.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Baylor's point guard is a better POINT guard than Williams. Her assists numbers are astronomical and she does an excellent job of running the team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When the Huskies play South Florida on Sunday it will be a meeting of the two remaining undefeated teams in the AAC ...so something's gotta give! Also, there may well be an even BIGGER collision. That's because seniors Breanna Stewart and Courtney Williams both plan on winning the National Championship this year. But ...they're not on the same team ...so again, something's gotta give!

We all know that Stewie is on record as saying her goal is to win four national championships during her UConn years. But now, someone else also has a goal regarding this year's national championship.

Courtney Williams:
“We want to win a national championship. Going to the Final Four and beating Connecticut, those other things, they come with winning a national championship. That’s definitely the goal.”

What are the chances that Courtney Williams and South Florida become the stopper for Breanna Stewart and UConn?

I think slim.

I'm already starting to feel sorry for Courtney. From all accounts, she's seems like a nice kid.

[LINK]

Well.....we don't always get what we want. People in hell want "ice water" too, that doesn't mean they're going to get any. I like Courtney too. Great player, plays hard to the buzzer, hates to lose, like D and Skylar Diggins, she knows she's good, and has a little moxie about her.

That ain't a bad thing. But, unfortunately, I'm afraid she's going to suffer the same fact as NFL HOF running back Barry Sanders. A great player on (Detroit Lions) teams that were never able to make it to the Super Bowl. If memory serves, he played in one (which they lost) playoff game during his entire NFL career.

There are too many teams that they don't/can't match up with, that they would have to beat BEFORE they'd get to play UConn. Ironically, the last two years, USF has been placed in UConn's NCAA bracket. I certainly hope this fate does not befall them again this year. THAT would be extremely unfair. As I have stated on numerous occasions, no school wants to be in UConn's bracket. Why??? Because everyone knows that UConn ALWAYS comes out of their region!!! On selection day, when assignments are announced, teams hold their breath with fingers crossed that that were not placed in UConn's region.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro