NASL in Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NASL in Hartford

Reaction Score
I have a strong hunch they will be called the Hartford Bicentennials since that was what the NASL team that played there in the '70s was called. Personally, I hate that name. Plus I would hope they would want to make a break from a team that only lasted a year.
Edit: They lasted longer than a year but moved to the west coast and then Canada later on.
If anyone's smart in Hartford - dubious at times, a potential team will appeal to a wider area and possibly be named the Connecticut ... (TBD, but something much better than yard goats). Speaking of the Bicentennials, a bad name even around 1976, I saw them play a 1977 home game against the Cosmos in their coked-out prime and even got within a few feet of Pele post-game on the Yale Bowl field.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you remember if Ray Hudson was the coach?
We went to the game mostly because I knew of Valderrama and had to see for myself that he would actually be there. I didn't follow the sport that closely back then. But that rings a bell, especially since I know of Hudson as a broadcaster these days. I'm going to check the timeline and report back.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It looks like the coach was Tim Hankinson. Hudson never coached the Mutiny.

Reaction Score
It looks like the coach was Tim Hankinson. Hudson never coached the Mutiny.

Yeah, that's right. He coached Miami and DC. I get those defunct Florida teams confused. Hudson was as colorful of a manager as he is an announcer. Before DC let him go he said that if they didn't make the playoffs then he should be executed by firing squad, and when he missed the playoffs in the press conference after the game he asked the media for a cigarette.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If anyone's smart in Hartford - dubious at times, a potential team will appeal to a wider area and possibly be named the Connecticut ... (TBD, but something much better than yard goats). Speaking of the Bicentennials, a bad name even around 1976, I saw them play a 1977 home game against the Cosmos in their coked-out prime and even got within a few feet of Pele post-game on the Yale Bowl field.

LOL. According to some that was the "Golden Era" of soccer in this country. And if Cable TV had been more mature in the early 80's the NASL might have hung in around if their final TV negotiations hadn't collapsed. I do like some of the classic names that have hung around like "Strikers", "Cosmos","Rowdies" and I think Indy Eleven is a cool name.

I have a soft spot for underdogs so I am pulling for the NASL to make it stick as strong second league. But they will have a tough road with the partnership MLS has made with USL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's right. He coached Miami and DC. I get those defunct Florida teams confused. Hudson was as colorful of a manager as he is an announcer. Before DC let him go he said that if they didn't make the playoffs then he should be executed by firing squad, and when he missed the playoffs in the press conference after the game he asked the media for a cigarette.
I'm glad it wasn't Hudson as I enjoy listening to him very much. If he was the guy that humiliated Carlos it would change my POV. IIRC, even after he was put in late under horrid conditions, he still made a few nice passes right on a platter.

Reaction Score
Update in the Courant on Hartford hosting a NASL team, looks like to ball maybe in the city's hand with respect to renovating Dillon Stadium.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-hartford-nasl-soccer-0428-20150427-story.html

Beat me to it.

Based on the articles I have read in the past three months, it sounds like this happening. Hartford has 12 million set aside to upgrade the stadium and that's the most important piece. Based on the article in the Hartford Business Journal, it sounds to me like the ownership group is out of Farmington and they are called Premier Sports Management Group.

This just popped up on BigSoccer.com. Demolition should be completed by 7 July.

In the vein of Skiblets's "I had an interesting conversation at the....". I also have good reason to believe that a front office has already been named.

Reaction Score
Beat me to it.

Based on the articles I have read in the past three months, it sounds like this happening. Hartford has 12 million set aside to upgrade the stadium and that's the most important piece. Based on the article in the Hartford Business Journal, it sounds to me like the ownership group is out of Farmington and they are called Premier Sports Management Group.

This just popped up on BigSoccer.com. Demolition should be completed by 7 July.

In the vein of Skiblets's "I had an interesting conversation at the....". I also have good reason to believe that a front office has already been named.

Question, if Dillon becomes a NASL venue, what happens to the high schools who play football at Dillon?

Reaction Score
Question, if Dillon becomes a NASL venue, what happens to the high schools who play football at Dillon?

Probably still play there. It's still the city's stadium. I know Houston and Chicago have high schools playing football on their fields in the fall.

Reaction Score

Correction on my last post. Houston shares their field with Texas Southern U's football team.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Correction on my last post. Houston shares their field with Texas Southern U's football team.
Hasn't the D-1AA National Championship been played there the last few years as well? I know it's been in one of the Texas teams fields.

Reaction Score
Hasn't the D-1AA National Championship been played there the last few years as well? I know it's been in one of the Texas teams fields.

Not sure, but the D-II champ game was at Sporting Park in Dec, and you can still see the outline of the endzones. Of course they just played the K-State Spring Game there so it's probably worse now.

Reaction Score
I am really excited about this. I will definitely be a season ticket holder.

I would too if I lived there. I'll spring for a jersey or two to help out.

NASL isn't bad soccer. The top two or three teams would be competitive in MLS. And it's easily the third best league in CONCACAF.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm a bit curious about the strategy here.

Having officiated a ton of games at Dillon, it's just hard to picture a crowd there.

An upgraded Willowbrook would seem to be a better home in a perfect world.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit curious about the strategy here.

Having officiated a ton of games at Dillon, it's just hard to picture a crowd there.

An upgraded Willowbrook would seem to be a better home in a perfect world.

I guess it boils down to the city wanting to spend 12 million on renovations there. Which doesn't mean that it's the smartest play.

Never been to Dillon, is it a dump?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess it boils down to the city wanting to spend 12 million on renovations there. Which doesn't mean that it's the smartest play.

Never been to Dillon, is it a dump?

Haven't been there in a few years but dump would have been a compliment the last time I was there.

Reaction Score
What's Dillon Stadium's current condition matter if it's going to be demo'd and rebuilt?

Anyways I think the NASL will thrive here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom