Napheesa Collier should have been MVP, not A'ja Wilson...:) | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier should have been MVP, not A'ja Wilson...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
collier in russia 2.jpg

This is what happens when you let the same guy who decided to turn off the AC just before the Russia vs USA game, also pick the MVP. Bad decisions... :rolleyes: USA's U-19 team wore down the Ruskies and took home the Gold Medal & A'ja Wilson was chosen MVP after scoring 30 points for the game & 128 for the tournament. For many UConn fans, the clear MVP was Napheesa Collier..!! :)

If the highest scorer is the MVP, then the trophy should go to Spain's Angela Salvadores, who scored 129 points to Wilson's 128. Salvadores is the high volume shooter who may or may not attend Duke. She had the misfortune of playing the USA 3 times in the past two weeks and shot an anemic 12-43 (28%). But heck, she scored 129 points in Russia and that seems to be all that counts. :mad:

1. Wilson (6'5") was out rebounded by Collier (6'1") 65 to 59. Take away all the offensive rebounds Wilson got from her own missed shots and it would have been far worse. :cool:
2. Wilson had 22 turnovers in just 7 games. New flash A'ja, you are NOT a point guard. You're not even a 2 guard. In sharp contrast, Napheesa had only 8 turnovers and CAN play the 2 guard. :D
3. Wilson took 103 shots and missed 52 of them. That's 49% on shots taken mostly from 3 feet from the basket. Collier shot 58.1% from inside the 3 pt arc. No contest.
4. Wilson is tall and gets fouled a lot. She missed 20 free throws and made only 56% from the charity stripe. Of course, Collier shot 80% from the free throw line.
5. Collier led the team in minutes played, steals, offensive rebounds, field goal %, free throw % and +/- efficiency. But Wilson scored more points. I guess that is what counts...:eek:
6. To be fair, Wilson also had more assists (16-14) and more blocked shots (8-5). And she scored 30 points in the final..!! Of course, she took 33 combines shots and free throws to do that...:( And the two big Ruskies she was helping cover scored 27 points.
7. Speaking of scoring points... Collier finished 2nd with 89 points on just 82 combined shots (72) and free throws (10).
8. Napheesa didn't score 30 pts in the final, but she did score 24 pts in the semi-final. Against the Russians, Collier had a double-double (10 pts & 10 rebounds), 3 assists and 6 steals.
9. Coach Staley decided to play Collier 169 minutes in this tournament. That was the most minutes of ANY player, including A'ja Wilson. Some people think you play the best player the most minutes. I do. :cool:
10. Wilson is a very good player, and no doubt the 2nd best player at the tournament. :)

I make no pretense at being unbiased when it comes to UConn players, but IMO Napheesa Collier was the MVP of the U-19 team that won the Gold in Russia. :)

Go Napheesa..!!
Go Huskies..!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
What a great post. It is well thought out and backed up with accurate data. The only problem I have with it is I totally disagree.

There is no doubt that Napheesa had better numbers and over the course of the entire tournament. She was the best US player. What Wilson did was dominate Russia In the final. She was a beast. As Russia tired, she grew stronger. That is weighed heavily towards winning the MVP.

It is debatable if the U.S. Would have made it to the finals without Napheesa. It is not debatable that they would have won the final without Wilson.

I don't think you are being biased. I am sure there are many here that will agree with you. Maybe adding a poll to this thread would be appropriate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
View attachment 10071
If the highest scorer is the MVP, then the trophy should go to Spain's Angela Salvadores, who scored 129 points to Wilson's 128. :mad:
I make no pretense at being unbiased when it comes to UConn players, but IMO Napheesa Collier was the MVP
While I agree completely with your sprited defense, it is far too logical & thoughtful. Plain and simple, the MVP goes to the player who scores the most points in the Championship Game. For this game it was Wilson. Last year it was Salvadores (who was on the losing team). The Pheenom had a wonderful tournament as did Wilson & Salvadores. The MVP had USA across her uniform and a gold medal around her neck-good enought for me to applaud her effort. Now when this MVP switches back to her Crimson and Black uniform that will be a different story.

HGN

Reaction Score
Great post David......You always back up your opinions with facts and data. But I think it was 50/50 , and could have gone either way between Collier and Wilson. Both were outstanding and both came through when needed during the Tournament.

It depended upon what the voters were looking for in the Championship game for MVP. It was who had the most outstanding game in the Final , it was Wilson. If they were looking for who had been the most Consistent player throughout the Tournament , it would have been Collier in my mind.

But I will also add that whoever has the Big Game in the Big Moment is most fresh on Voters mind. And Wilson had the Big Game in the Big Moment and it was the most fresh on the voters mind when they cast their votes. And she won it. But that didn't , and shouldn't , take away from the contributions made by The Pheese. She was truly OUTSTANDING throughout.

I am sure Dawn Staley is very happy with Wilson and should be. Because from what I saw I know we are going to be very , very Happy with The Pheese.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fun - no problem with Wilson getting the MVP, but agree that Pheese was a force and probably the best for USA. This was the first extended watching of Wilson for me. She is very good, but the idea of her being anything but a 4/5 player is ridiculous - she just does not have the speed or handle to play on the outside. She also at least in this context was a bit of a 'black hole' - the ball goes in but never comes out again. And her inaccuracy on layups was a concern, as well as the <60% foul shooting.

Reaction Score
While I agree completely with your sprited defense, it is far too logical & thoughtful. Plain and simple, the MVP goes to the player who scores the most points in the Championship Game. For this game it was Wilson. Last year it was Salvadores (who was on the losing team). The Pheenom had a wonderful tournament as did Wilson & Salvadores. The MVP had USA across her uniform and a gold medal around her neck-good enought for me to applaud her effort. Now when this MVP switches back to her Crimson and Black uniform that will be a different story.

Those that watched all or most of the U19 games played by USA it was obvious who was the best player and who the coaching staff (Dawn among them) considered the player they wanted on the floor. We as WBB fans have to give credit to Aj a Wilson for her 30 points performance---I do, however, agree that in some games her head and playing was elsewhere. USC's Coates and Wilson didn't live up to the hype in Pan Am's or U19's. If Samuelson had played these games may have been a breeze for the USA. Love that Dangerous girl--and only going into her Senior year in HS!! Amazing. (I know Dangerfield).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wilson is a talent, no doubt. My problem with her has always been, based on a limited number of games to be sure, that she appears to take plays off and frankly will often loaf behind the team. Negative way of saying she could be great if she put more energy into the game.

Reaction Score
Those that watched all or most of the U19 games played by USA it was obvious who was the best player and who the coaching staff (Dawn among them) considered the player they wanted on the floor. We as WBB fans have to give credit to Aj a Wilson for her 30 points performance---I do, however, agree that in some games her head and playing was elsewhere. USC's Coates and Wilson didn't live up to the hype in Pan Am's or U19's. If Samuelson had played these games may have been a breeze for the USA. Love that Dangerous girl--and only going into her Senior year in HS!! Amazing. (I know Dangerfield).

Broadway- Good stuff as usual; I'm 50-50- on the MVP--OK high scorer in final wins. The most important statement you made (IMHO) was Coates and Wilson did not live up to the hype. I was surprised by their effort and consistency. South Carolina might have to struggle physically against UConn this coming season, but they will also struggle big time mentally. Coates saw first hand that Stewie and Mo were the best. Wilson saw that Pheese is excellent & multi-talented. If Collier is the 5th or 6th or 7th best player on the team in November--my head starts spinning. Coates, Wilson & Staley know that UConn is loaded. Mentally, I don't think they can overcome that.

Reaction Score
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Mr. Napoletano. Napheesa Collier for MVP? Are you kidding? My choice, without question, for my MVP, MOST VALUABLE POINTGUARD, is Crystal Dangerfield. Though she didn't start, the kid was clearly the best lead guard on Team USA, and while she made some mistakes in terms of shot selection and on defense, her playmaking skills are electric, she penetrates, distributes, shows poise beyond her years on the international stage and is utterly fearless. One year under GA and CD and she will get another of my MVP awards, this one in April- for Most Valuable Postseason player.

It is impossibly painful to contemplate Moriah's (and Stewie's) graduation :( but thoughts of Crystal Dangerfield (and Pheese and Lou) dribbling in my head put me at ease.

Reaction Score
Broadway- Good stuff as usual; I'm 50-50- on the MVP--OK high scorer in final wins. The most important statement you made (IMHO) was Coates and Wilson did not live up to the hype. I was surprised by their effort and consistency. South Carolina might have to struggle physically against UConn this coming season, but they will also struggle big time mentally. Coates saw first hand that Stewie and Mo were the best. Wilson saw that Pheese is excellent & multi-talented. If Collier is the 5th or 6th or 7th best player on the team in November--my head starts spinning. Coates, Wilson & Staley know that UConn is loaded. Mentally, I don't think they can overcome that.
Thank you Coach. On Effort and Consistency--watching Stewie and Moriah the coaching of Uconn et al stood out for all to see in the Pan Am Games. Got to love Collier, what a talent and beautiful..

Reaction Score
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Mr. Napoletano. Napheesa Collier for MVP? Are you kidding? My choice, without question, for my MVP, MOST VALUABLE POINTGUARD, is Crystal Dangerfield. Though she didn't start, the kid was clearly the best lead guard on Team USA, and while she made some mistakes in terms of shot selection and on defense, her playmaking skills are electric, she penetrates, distributes, shows poise beyond her years on the international stage and is utterly fearless. One year under GA and CD and she will get another of my MVP awards, this one in April- for Most Valuable Postseason player.

It is impossibly painful to contemplate Moriah's (and Stewie's) graduation :( but thoughts of Crystal Dangerfield (and Pheese and Lou) dribbling in my head put me at ease.
Collier in ALL games was more valuable than most. I'm not sure Dangerfield should have been M Valuable Pointguard--but I have to agree she was amazing. Many times I saw Moraih Jefferson wearing that 4 but it was dangerous Dangerfield. Dawn Staley must have been thrilled to coach players like Collier and Dangerfield--their effort was beyond everyone else--like Stewie and Moriah in Pan Am.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are a lot of things that are not fair in life and sports. I like we have Collier and Geno will develop her into a superstar. Look forward to the future and knowing that Wilson and SC can not beat UConn with the players we have and who have verballed. Injures and transfers can change that but I don't see that happening. UConn is going to be the favorite for NCs for the next 4 plus years. Enjoy it.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
It is impossibly painful to contemplate Moriah's (and Stewie's) graduation :(

Must you? Ugh

But since you did...and now got me sadly thinking....I can't seem to think of a class I will have missed more at graduation (yes, even the stud 1-2-4-6 draft class of miss Bird et.al.) simply because we have all fallen in love in every way with the Stewie-Mo duo. And oh my gosh, imagine if Tuck will have graduated with them?...I'd compare that to the same sentiments as a funeral.

Reaction Score
Sad, but true. It is easier to add up points than to evaluate overall performance. The latter requires effort and intelligence.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I understand this is The Boneyard.. so some of you find it EXTREMELY difficult to give credit to opposing players. Which is fine, we're all sharing opinions. I don't have that problem but whatever, we're not all born the same...

I think Collier is a phenomenal talent. I wish I was able to watch Katie Lou but judging from what I saw in the tournament vs. Katie Lou's game highlights etc. on YouTube... Collier is the jewel in your class. She is a great player and will only get better.

Now here is where we disagree... I'm not sure what unachievable expectation levels some of you had for the SC players but even if I remove my garnet glasses it's hard for me to say that Coates and Wilson weren't special for their respective teams..

As far as Coates, I thought she played well for a player having her first experience with USA ball. Sure, she started slow (as she normally does) but she was very important to the team's success toward's the end. She scored when needed, protected the paint, blocked shots, made lanes for guards etc.. Heck, she scored almost 25 points in one game.. and had double doubles almost every night. She was such a defensive presence under the goal (other teams rarely even tried coming into the paint when Coates was in, as opposed to the other post). She was definitely the best out of herself, Mavunga and Reimer.

Coates had a great summer with USA Basketball. This was a great opportunity for her to improve her game and I was impressed by her. Same for Wilson.

Glad they're injury free and I'm looking forward to a great season.

HGN

Reaction Score
I understand this is The Boneyard.. so some of you find it EXTREMELY difficult to give credit to opposing players. Which is fine, we're all sharing opinions. I don't have that problem but whatever, we're not all born the same...

I think Collier is a phenomenal talent. I wish I was able to watch Katie Lou but judging from what I saw in the tournament vs. Katie Lou's game highlights etc. on YouTube... Collier is the jewel in your class. She is a great player and will only get better.

Now here is where we disagree... I'm not sure what unachievable expectation levels some of you had for the SC players but even if I remove my garnet glasses it's hard for me to say that Coates and Wilson weren't special for their respective teams..

As far as Coates, I thought she played well for a player having her first experience with USA ball. Sure, she started slow (as she normally does) but she was very important to the team's success toward's the end. She scored when needed, protected the paint, blocked shots, made lanes for guards etc.. Heck, she scored almost 25 points in one game.. and had double doubles almost every night. She was such a defensive presence under the goal (other teams rarely even tried coming into the paint when Coates was in, as opposed to the other post). She was definitely the best out of herself, Mavunga and Reimer.

Coates had a great summer with USA Basketball. This was a great opportunity for her to improve her game and I was impressed by her. Same for Wilson.

Glad they're injury free and I'm looking forward to a great season.
SCGamecock, we (The Boneyard) give credit where credit is due....And Coates did play well for her debut outing for USAB. Wilson was Outstanding and we give her her due as well. But this is THE BONEYARD , so we take care of our own first. The Gamecoacks will have a very good team this year and we wish you well.......except when you play The Huskies and The Pheese.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
SCGamecock, we (The Boneyard) give credit where credit is due....And Coates did play well for her debut outing for USAB. Wilson was Outstanding and we give her her due as well. But this is THE BONEYARD , so we take care of our own first. The Gamecoacks will have a very good team this year and we wish you well..except when you play The Huskies and The Pheese.
HGN NOOOOOOO!!!!!!, Please no not The Pheese.. Did you actually sound that out? I didn't think so! The trademarked nickname is The Pheenom.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SCGamecock, we (The Boneyard) give credit where credit is due....And Coates did play well for her debut outing for USAB. Wilson was Outstanding and we give her her due as well. But this is THE BONEYARD , so we take care of our own first. The Gamecoacks will have a very good team this year and we wish you well..except when you play The Huskies and The Pheese.

Understood. A'ja is my girl.. but I will admit that Collier impressed me most throughout the tournament. She is a BALLER. If she develops consistency behind the arc the rest of WCBB better look out..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
GARNET and Black you guys. Tina Roy wrote a song about it. LOL :cool:

Crimson is Alabama. Ew gross.
Please remind Tina that in addition to song writing she may want to spend some time working on her defensive stance. That way she doesn't end up in another Moriah Jefferson all time highlight. :D

HGN

Reaction Score
HGN NOOOOOOO!!!!!!, Please no not The Pheese.. Did you actually sound that out? I didn't think so! The trademarked nickname is The Pheenom.
Awww CoCo..............Pheese/Pheenom....Whichever. The key thing is you knew exactly who I was referring to. That is what counts. But for future clarity , just for you and for the sake of harmony on The Board , I will refrain from the use of the word Pheese. From this day forward Napheesa will be referred to as The Pheenom by me.........Of course unless there is a slip of the typing fingers and I hit your forbidden reference....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom