Napheesa Collier is Finally Healthy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier is Finally Healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She didn't play like it. I thought KLS was easily a better player for the Huskies. That may change but I had expected a bit more from Napheesa. She didn't play badly but she fell short of what I'd read of her prior to coming to Storrs. I obviously would love for her to prove me wrong and she'll have more than enough opportunity to do that.
Oportunity is what she needs. Give it to her like KLS had last year and you will see!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Unfortunately Pheese didn't have the summer she wanted and probably needed to really take the next step. Her summer was taken up by rehab and not really working on her weakness (lower and upper body strength, consistency in her shot, better footwork on defense and in the lane). I think when we see her growth it'll be toward the latter stages of the season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She didn't play like it. I thought KLS was easily a better player for the Huskies. That may change but I had expected a bit more from Napheesa. She didn't play badly but she fell short of what I'd read of her prior to coming to Storrs. I obviously would love for her to prove me wrong and she'll have more than enough opportunity to do that.
I think we may well see the same kind of perceptions outside the program of the Lou/Collier dynamic that we saw of the Stewart/Tuck dynamic - Lou will be more the public face of the team as the leading scorer and focus of the offense, while Collier is the one keeping the team on the even keel and doing the heavy lifting with points in the paint, rebounds and tough defense from the post to the wing.
By the end of this year with a more seasoned Dangerfield and you could have a reprise of the kind of team from three years ago.

(That is not to discount the contributions expected from Kia, Gabby, and the rest of the team - just an interesting echo of Stewart/Morgan/Moriah.)

Reaction Score
I think we may well see the same kind of perceptions outside the program of the Lou/Collier dynamic that we saw of the Stewart/Tuck dynamic - Lou will be more the public face of the team as the leading scorer and focus of the offense, while Collier is the one keeping the team on the even keel and doing the heavy lifting with points in the paint, rebounds and tough defense from the post to the wing.
By the end of this year with a more seasoned Dangerfield and you could have a reprise of the kind of team from three years ago.

(That is not to discount the contributions expected from Kia, Gabby, and the rest of the team - just an interesting echo of Stewart/Morgan/Moriah.)
Glad to hear from you Miami!

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa, you're right. You're not always right.
I am never wrong expressing mY opinion--if i expressed your opinion --I could be wrong. I rarely tell you what to think--That's my opinion.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Morgan as a freshman was pretty much the whole package...Look up the multi-overtime game w Notre Dame.
She almost won it single-handily.

As for Napheesa, lets not forget her excellent shot-blocking and garbage collecting ability among with her other attributes noted above.
In Pheesa and Gaby, we have perhaps the best tandem of trash collecting in WCBB.

Reaction Score
Remembering what Napheesa showed us last year as a freshman, who was injured just about all season, how she moved, and reacted, hustled and scored! Imagine what this young lady is potentially going to be able to do now that she's healthy! Scary good IMHO!

Reaction Score
As I stated in an earlier post, last year we only got to see a small sampling of what Collier can do. This year, we'll get to see her for longer periods of time, as I predict she will be a starter. Geno cannot afford to keep her skill set/potential on the bench.
Collier has an uncanny nose for the ball which has caused her teammates to call her a "ball magnet". You can't teach that.

Temple Jr. pg Alliya Butts said in a recent interview: "My freshman year I was young and made a lot of mental mistakes. My sophomore year I gained confidence and this year I'm even more confident in what I can do. My game is better. My jump shot has improved. I can do more things with the ball and help my team".

You can substitute most incoming freshman's name here, and this statement would fit them as well. Gabby said the same thing last year. You saw how much better she performed her Sophomore year. Collier will approach this season with a new and different mindset.

This year, she knows the plays, she knows what she's doing, and it will no doubt show in her on court play. Collier's stats were very impressive last year in the limited minutes she played. I look for her to match or exceed those numbers this year. Collier will begin the season pain free, a starter and with a bit more leash to play her game. I look forward to watching Napheesa go through her sophomore growing experiences this season.

Carnac predicts: Collier will finish the season as an all AAC Conference first or second team
I do think that we'll see an improved Collier this year and as has been mentioned, it's an improvement that most kids make their sophomore year. There's so much to learn coming in as a freshman, to integrate to the team and particularly a team like UConn where there is so much expected of each kid in order to even get on the court. The fact that she played with an injury which is now resolved also will contribute to a better season but knowing the system and physical maturity are two of the biggest reasons.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Morgan as a freshman was pretty much the whole package...Look up the multi-overtime game w Notre Dame.
She almost won it single-handily.

As for Napheesa, lets not forget her excellent shot-blocking and garbage collecting ability among with her other attributes noted above.
In Pheesa and Gaby, we have perhaps the best tandem of trash collecting in WCBB.

An interesting note about Collier is that there are posters here that think she won't be a starter this season.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry. Collier has to start. She has great chemistry with KLS as well as basketball history. That tandem alone should have 5 assists between them. Go Huskies...

Reaction Score
An interesting note about Collier is that there are posters here that think she won't be a starter this season.

Really? I wonder what their thought process is? Anyway Collier certainly has to start she is probably the most talented player on a team that just lost 3 great seniors.
As for Collier, I'm no johnny come lately, I said last season that Collier would average a double/double in her remaining 3 yrs at Uconn. To hear that she wasnt a 100% is amazing.
The sky is the limit for her!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Really? I wonder what their thought process is? Anyway Collier certainly has to start she is probably the most talented player on a team that just lost 3 great seniors.
As for Collier, I'm no johnny come lately, I said last season that Collier would average a double/double in her remaining 3 yrs at Uconn. To hear that she wasnt a 100% is amazing.
The sky is the limit for her!!

I wasn't among those predicting that Napheesa would not start but I could see a scenario where she doesn't.
UCONN only has 2 post players (Natalie & Kyla) on the roster and a Guard/wing (Gabby) capable of playing in the post.
Napheesa struggles defending in the post, so it will depend on who else starts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wasn't among those predicting that Napheesa would not start but I could see a scenario where she doesn't.
UCONN only has 2 post players (Natalie & Kyla) on the roster and a Guard/wing (Gabby) capable of playing in the post.

There are so many possibilities here. Your theory has merit. We (fans) don't know what Geno sees, or what group of girls work best together at this point. I'm sure he wants to play different types of defenses. The trick is finding that right mix of players that can pull it off, and be potent on the other end of the court as well. We know they can score, but defense will win a lot of games from the Huskies this year.

I have not heard any reports from practice indicating how the girls are doing. I guess mums the word. Usually we've gotten several reports by this point in the season. He'll figure that out in the two exhibition games. Three more days, and we can we for ourselves what the team looks like.

To be quite honest, since I don't have a dog in the race, I really don't care who starts. I just want the team to play hard, play well, and keep the streak alive. Geno is going to put 5 players on the floor that will give him the best chance to win. THAT is the bottom line. We want to begin the new season on the right foot. I'd like to see ALL of our girls play, and play well. In Geno we trust.
BTW: I looked at some of the other top 10 team's OOC schedules. Some of them begin the first two weeks extremely soft. :eek:

Go Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yukky pOOO! Starting is NOT a guarantee--but Geno picked HIS core--bet you couldn't guess that Napheesa Collier was among them. (Carnac--i know you know--wee'se been Colliered from the beginning)

Reaction Score
There are so many possibilities here. Your theory has merit. We (fans) don't know what Geno sees, or what group of girls work best together at this point. I'm sure he wants to play different types of defenses. The trick is finding that right mix of players that can pull it off, and be potent on the other end of the court as well. We know they can score, but defense will win a lot of games from the Huskies this year.

I have not heard any reports from practice indicating how the girls are doing. I guess mums the word. Usually we've gotten several reports by this point in the season. He'll figure that out in the two exhibition games. Three more days, and we can we for ourselves what the team looks like.

To be quite honest, since I don't have a dog in the race, I really don't care who starts. I just want the team to play hard, play well, and keep the streak alive. Geno is going to put 5 players on the floor that will give him the best chance to win. THAT is the bottom line. We want to begin the new season on the right foot. I'd like to see ALL of our girls play, and play well. In Geno we trust.
BTW: I looked at some of the other top 10 team's OOC schedules. Some of them begin the first two weeks extremely soft. :eek:

Go Huskies.
I don't think MUM's the word--Geno has to work, along with his staff, this year. He has had top experienced talented trio and supporting cast for 1,2,3,4 years--. He is NOT starting over--but he has new kids and Sophs who must now become the leaders and scorers--he has a different team.
So practice, I ASSuME, is more intense. He is also trying to integrate the new guys in with the older vets--that probably is the really really hard job.
I will give you ODD's that OUR GIRL s(Uconn Husky women) will be just fine right after the FSU game---then we'll all know if we have a shot at the NCAA and beyond. There is an awful lot of returning talent and talented new guys---don't let others make you think---Uconn had a miracle team--it was wondrous --but no miracle they worked hard to be that great--and so shall these kids.

Reaction Score

One correction if you will allow---I'd change the tense of the word Struggles--to Struggled. We have not seen her in action this year yet --so we have no new info to determine whether or not she has improved in that area.

Of course--I believe Collier, Napheesa if you will, walks on water and can do no harm. Much as I believe in Crystal, Katie Lou, Gabby and Geno/Christine (tandem). Add Butler (cuz we really need her)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One correction if you will allow---I'd change the tense of the word Struggles--to Struggled. We have not seen her in action this year yet --so we have no new info to determine whether or not she has improved in that area.

Of course--I believe Collier, Napheesa if you will, walks on water and can do no harm. Much as I believe in Crystal, Katie Lou, Gabby and Geno/Christine (tandem). Add Butler (cuz we really need her)
I hear talk about Collier as if she's the second coming. I had high expectations of her and KLS going into last year and she fell short of what I expected to see. Yet, there's talk of her as if to suggest that she's a lock to be an All-American this year, seemingly. I know she had an injury but I also think she had some growing pains and I want and expect her to be really good this year but come on, guys!

Reaction Score
I hear talk about Collier as if she's the second coming. I had high expectations of her and KLS going into last year and she fell short of what I expected to see. Yet, there's talk of her as if to suggest that she's a lock to be an All-American this year, seemingly. I know she had an injury but I also think she had some growing pains and I want and expect her to be really good this year but come on, guys!

Two points of your posting has a bit of a misconception. Not one of the UConn fans, here in (that I am aware of), have anointed
Napheesa Collier an All American, not yet ! Did you watch her in the USA games a bit over a year ago, when she was Almost healthy? At this point she no Stewie, or DT or Maya or anyone other than Napheesa Collier.

As to your expectations last year------A freshman in games with 3 top scoring machines--then Katie Lou--your expectations i believe were not realistic for the position she was in among veterans --and add a bad hip to that. i thought she did great!!!

I stretched a point saying--(in some jest) that I believe so much in Collier--she can walk on water. No second, third or even forth Coming. Often in postings , i have said: She is NOT STEWIE but the best darn Napheesa Collier you have ever seen --or word to that effect. Apparently Geno thought highly of Collier last year with the amount of "good' time she got---and this year he told the world that she is among his CoRE players. So liking Collier as i do---i'm in great company with Geno being a believer..

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If you were not impressed with her play in the Elite Eight and the Final Four then your expectations were much TOO high or you don't have a good eye for talent. Barring injury, Collier will be at the least above average, and when she develops her outside game, she will be very good, imo.

Reaction Score
If you were not impressed with her play in the Elite Eight and the Final Four then your expectations were much TOO high or you don't have a good eye for talent. Barring injury, Collier will be at the least above average, and when she develops her outside game, she will be very good, imo.
I'm not saying she wasn't good last year and I know all freshman have bumps but I expected her to be a bit better because I'd seen video clips of her prior to coming to UConn. I have no doubt that she'll be better this year and I most assuredly expect her to be an above average player for the Huskies. I'd just read so much lately on this board where you'd almost think she was almost guaranteed an All-American and I'm not sure if that'll be happening, at least this year. I'd love to be wrong but at no time have I ever said anything that I think would make people think I don't think she'll be very good for us this year. Others have talked about her being "maybe the best player on the Huskies" and I think she's got a way to go before I'd consider her better than KLS. That is definitely not a big criticism because I saw an awful lot of things from KLS that really, really impressed me and I think that she was the best player on UConn that didn't graduate this past year. Others may not agree but in the latter part of last year, KLS was seriously performing at a high, high level.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The only thing KLS was better at was in scoring. Collier rebounded better, her defense was just as good if not better, she jumps higher and she is quicker. Other than scoring, where was KLS better?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not saying she wasn't good last year and I know all freshman have bumps but I expected her to be a bit better because I'd seen video clips of her prior to coming to UConn. I have no doubt that she'll be better this year and I most assuredly expect her to be an above average player for the Huskies. I'd just read so much lately on this board where you'd almost think she was almost guaranteed an All-American and I'm not sure if that'll be happening, at least this year. I'd love to be wrong but at no time have I ever said anything that I think would make people think I don't think she'll be very good for us this year. Others have talked about her being "maybe the best player on the Huskies" and I think she's got a way to go before I'd consider her better than KLS. That is definitely not a big criticism because I saw an awful lot of things from KLS that really, really impressed me and I think that she was the best player on UConn that didn't graduate this past year. Others may not agree but in the latter part of last year, KLS was seriously performing at a high, high level.
I thought that Lou was a top 15-20 player late in the season. She may be a top 10 player this year. She has tons of talent. And she has been on a team that went 38-0 and won its games by nearly 40 points on average.

Reaction Score
I thought that Lou was a top 15-20 player late in the season. She may be a top 10 player this year. She has tons of talent. And she has been on a team that went 38-0 and won its games by nearly 40 points on average.
I love Katie Lou, she's a Angel face assassin, but at no point was she a top 20 player last year. I expect her game to continue to grow, however.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I love Katie Lou, she's a Angel face assassin, but at no point was she a top 20 player last year. I expect her game to continue to grow, however.

Her last 11-1/2 games:

15.4 PPG
3.9 RPG
2 APG
58% FG
43% 3-PT
75% true shooting percentage

KML's best true shooting percentages over a season were 68%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom