Name your Stand Out | The Boneyard

Name your Stand Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

It's football season again! ... well kinda...but still good enough for us die hards. As spring practice starts I thought it would be fun to see who everyone is most looking forward to seeing play in the blue and white game and why. Perhaps it's a player you've heard big things about and have yet to see play, a returning favorite or someone you expect to have a break out year. Who do you pick?

My pick is Shakim Phillips. I have been hearing things and the blogs are confirming them. Easley was a blast to watch even with our qb issues. I hope he becomes a dominant big name WR threat for us.

Reaction Score
2 young pups on D - BJ McBryde and Marquise Vann. I do not expect to either to start, but believe their continued growth allows the staff to rotate (I'd say better rotate, but there was little rotation last year) players up front over the course of the season. With McBryde's size and athleticism, he should become dominant soon and I hear nothing but good things about Vann.

As an aside, I'll be interested to see where Opoku lines up - does he stay at OLB, move to speed rusher. another great athlete who should see mroe PT in 12.

Reaction Score
I have 3 players besides (wr) Phillips that I will intensely watching – (qb) Whitmer, (oc) Mateas and (lb) Donahue…

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the entire offense go out and stand out. Start putting up 25+ points a game.

The defense Don Brown brings, playing with a lead on the scoreboard as the game goes on? Oh boy, that's when the snowball starts to get really rolling.

The impact players on this team are going to be right up the gut on offense. Center, QB, FB and TB.

We need that stem to be solid, and we need a group of them to start to stand out sooner than later.

I really like the competition at those positions going into spring and then fall camps, and will be happy with whomever ends up with the job.

Reaction Score
I'm keeping a close eye on transfers Mateas and both Shoemate and Joe Williams. If Mateas turns out to be good, and our O-line can be in a good place this year, I think a lot of other things will fall into place. Shoemate/Williams I'm focused on because I think we need a complementary back, especially with so many unknowns going into the passing game.

I am cautiously optimistic about how the offense will look in general.

Reaction Score
i heard donahue is an animal cant wait to see him preform in uconn blue

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to seeing a few guys... Donahue mainly... Although our LB corp played pretty well, there were times where in pass coverage they struggled... Looking to see if he's gonna bump one of our current starters and solidify that 2nd level on D... That part of our D has to perform well.. Honestly, I'm not too concerned up front... Stephens has played a lot his first few years and at 6'5 317 lbs me thinks he's gonna be a load to deal with for opposing defenses... Wirth, although much smaller, will be fine too... He's an older kid who played a lot... Our secondary will be fine also, at the first level... Two redshirt SRs in Wilson and Gratz at CB ( both with solid size at 6' 190 plus lbs a piece ) and then you have two playmaking pups in Brown and Jones at S... My only concern is what will we get from the back ups... I don't think our D will skip a beat... In fact, is should be much better because they now know the new system better.

Now, gotta get to offense... QB and C gotta be the first two areas of concern. I'm anxious to see Cochran and Whitmer... along with McEntee, Nebrich, and Cummings... Again, they were put in a situation with a new coach and new offensive system last year.. So, it's gonna be fun to see who "gets it" and becomes the man... At C... we had Moe Petrus for like forever it seemed. LOVED that guy... Now it seems as though a fellow Canadien may be taking his place in Alex Mateas.. Here's hoping if that is the case that he's ready.. if not maybe he's more serviceable as an OG... We also have Paul and Texas native Bockeloh competing for that spot... Hopefully the best man wins out and mans the position for the next 3 or 4 years... WR: Excited about Phillips and Smith... Right now, I'm kinda expecting them to take the lead, along with Nick Williams as our top 3.. No offense to G. Smith and T. Jones... But those 3 have got to step in and produce for us right away... Wish Bryce McNeal was here NOW instead of this coming Summer. The more competition at WR the better for us... RB: I'm rooting for DJ to have a solid year for us... along with McCombs... and that our back ups can give us something... which was pretty much more than what they gave us last year ( pretty much nothing ).... Lastly OL: J. Bennett... Can the gentle giant finally avoid the injury bug? Was rooting hard for this guy.. Still am... We need him healthy to man one OT spot for us.... Other than that ( and Center ) I think we'll be pretty good across our OL..Nice blend of guys that have live game experience and some youth sprinkled in there...

Reaction Score
I will like to see Shakim Phillips kid was a stud coming out of high school and Joseph Williams is another this kid is very explosive with a good frame for a RB. I have a feeling this will be a good year for the Huskies even though the media or others who aren't Uconn fans seem to think so.

Reaction Score
i'm looking forward to the transfers. we've never had much luck with them in the past, but it seems like these guys are coming here b/c they didn't like what was going on at their previous schools and found UConn more attractive, whereas in the past they were just hoping for playing time at a BCS program. for the most part though, our best players have been home grown so i think the best bet for nwe impact player would be one of the new LBs, although i think Trevardo will take an even bigger step up.

Reaction Score
Looking for
RB; Williams and Osiecki
QB; Witmer, Cochran and the development of Nebrich
OL; Entire. The staff was very active in trying to bring in transfers, including a one and done, coupled with the OC feeling a need to take over this group might mean there is a concern here. Have a quiet interest in Gifford, he seems to be the biggest of the young tackles and he came in with some regard.
WR; Phillps and Foxx
TE; McQ
DL McBryde, Louis and Adeyami
LB; Vann, Ashiru and Donahue
DB; Adams, Lee and one of the young corners

Reaction Score
Chandler Whitmer, Chandler Whitmer, and the new guy Chandler Whitmer. All my money is on the table and i'm betting it on Chandler Whitmer. I'm hoping he turns into the kind of passer we have not seen since 2004.

Reaction Score
Offense: Nebrich and Joe Williams... it has been well documented that I really thought despite his numbers(small sample size) that Nebrich showed alot of good decision making and poise. Williams just looks like a potential Monster. ideal Size, speed, and on tape he flashes both cutting and tackle-breaking ability. If he is good for 7-10 carries a game that makes Lyle McCombs 2X as good by lessening his burden.

Defense : Another guy who I've been singing his praises is Taylor Mack. With Gary Wil(get)burn(ed) moving on, he has a chance to get some major run this year. Loved his fiestiness and playmaking as a freshman, and in a nickle/dime role he could really be in a spot to make a ton of plays this year. I imagine a ton of submarine tackles and PBUs are in order. I love that he plays without fear at DB.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'll 2nd the calls above for keeping an eye on the transfers. They all seem like they can be contributors ASAP.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
my eye will be on the qbs and wrs all game. everything else i'll focus on another time. i wont be able to sleep at night all summer if i come away from the spring game without anything hope wise.

elsewhere? i want to see jones and brown take the next step up....

Reaction Score
The Seniors: I want them to go out in style, provide leadership & be excellent on the field.
Ryan Griffin needs to live up to his full potential & become all Big East. There are others. Stay focused, perform. That is all.

Reaction Score
Geremy Davis on Offense, BJ on defense.

And it will burn the folks up north if Phillips has a monster year

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is tough because there are a number of players I curious what they will do this upcoming season.

Donohue who at worse will be a special teams leader, but can also solidify the linebacker unit.
Alex Mateas who will push for time at center taking over for Petrus who was a three years starter. It is the second most import position on offense behind the quarterback.
Whitmer/Nebrich at quarterback. I think one wins the job when all is said and done. Though I love hearing about Cochran work ethic which will only help him in the future.
Chad Christen at kicker. We know he can kick off but can he kick under pressure. I know we have Puyol coming in but he is a freshman.

I can't wait to April 21st at 1 pm.

Reaction Score
Nebrich, Nebrich, Nebrich...still can't believe he didn't get more opportunity last year. Besides clock management at the end of halves, this is the only other thing I keep criticizing PP for.

Reaction Score
On defense I'm intrigued by Ted Jennings as a pass rusher. Wondering how he's developing after being a nice surprise last season.

On offense Mateus because as the line goes, we go.

Wilbert Lee on specials if he doesn't get significant PT somewhere else.

Reaction Score
I believe T Jennings had shoulder surgery and may not play in the Spring game. Looking for breakaway speed at the RB slot. Sounds like Williams has it but he's a frosh so hope he can contribute. Lyle McCoombs did a great job last year considering his size and maybe he's boosted his speed and power for this year. There were some runs where he got tripped up that could have been big gainers. Interested in the tranfers like everyone else along with Vann, Lee and G. Davis.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to see if Nick Williams can step up and play the slot receiver. Hopefully the wr's step their game up. Also Mike Smith hasn't played in a year see how that affects him. Wilson on defense, how is he after his injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom