My Warde Take | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Warde Take

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, Warde has been a good AD with the coaches and student athletes but a poor one with finances and conference realignment vision.
The Good:
- The top coaches like him and he gives them what they need to succeed. Geno, KO and Diaco have all said positive things about Warde's management style.
- Student athletes meet with him and feel he listens from the ones I talked to.
- He has hired young coaches with potential (Diaco, KO & Cavanaugh) - to some extent that means learning on the job and WTF moments in games. But they seem to be able to connect with their players.

Mixed Bag:
- The large donors like him - medium to small donors tell me they are not on his radar screen.
- There has been various creative marketing attempts to halt the overall slide in attendance - while not a victory at least it's an attempt to respond to elasticity in the marketplace.

The Bad
Now two serious issues that are in part linked:
- While the conference realignment gets the ink - the immediate iceberg in UConn athletics path is a financial avalanche of deep red ink. The Daily Campus article nailed it - Warde has been spending money like a school with a P5 TV contract and we have a modest revenue stream. There has been no effort to cut back as operating budgets as we become less and less self sufficient. Student fees are unfortunately being relied on to fund athletics - a department that has a high travel budget due to the geography of the conference and there has been no serious effort to cut back on teams.
- Yes, up to this point Warde has been living partly on house money from the Big East team exit fees and conference naming rights that are running off- so the reality for his replacement is that it's an even bigger financial mess than it appears at first glance. There seems to be no downsizing plan in place if we don't soon make a P5.
- While Warde and Susan accept generous pay checks they have both said numerous times they have no control over CR. If that's true - why do they get paid so much? And why do we hire a consultant to if you can't control, influence or take advantage of opportunities? It makes no logical sense and it's like anything else - good people with the right connections and skills don't guarantee successful outcomes - but they improve your chances of achieving success.
- CR is at the President's level - so I agree Susan owns that but Warde has been her assistant and they have not succeeded. During his tenure schools with weaker resumes have made it in - so it's not a good story.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Warde has been a good AD with the coaches and student athletes but a poor one with finances and conference realignment vision.
The Good:
- The top coaches like him and he gives them what they need to succeed. Geno, KO and Diaco have all said positive things about Warde's management style.
- He has hired young coaches with potential (Diaco, KO & Cavanaugh) - to some extent that means learning on the job and WTF moments in games. But they seem to be able to connect with their players.

Mixed Bag:
- The large donors like him - medium to small donors tell me they are not on his radar screen.
- There has been various creative marketing attempts to halt the overall slide in attendance - while not a victory at least it's an attempt to respond to elasticity in the marketplace.

The Bad
- While the conference realignment gets the ink - the immediate iceberg in UConn athletics path is a financial avalanche of deep red ink. The Daily Campus article nailed it - Warde has been spending money like a school with a P5 TV contract and we have a modest revenue stream. There has been no effort to cut back as operating budgets as we become less and less self sufficient. Student fees are unfortunately being relied on to fund athletics - a department that has a high travel budget due to the geography of the conference and there has been no serious effort to cut back on teams.
- Yes, up to this point Warde has been living partly on house money from the Big East team exit fees and conference naming rights that are running off- so the reality for his replacement is that it's an even bigger financial mess than it appears at first glance. There seems to be no downsizing plan in place if we don't soon make a P5.
- While Warde and Susan accept generous pay checks they have both said numerous times they have no control over CR. If that's true - why do they get paid so much? And why do we hire a consultant to if you can't control, influence or take advantage of opportunities? It makes no logical sense and it's like anything else - good people with the right connections and skills don't guarantee successful outcomes - but they improve your chances of achieving success.
- CR is at the President's level - so I agree Susan owns that but Warde has been her assistant and they have not succeeded. During his tenure schools with weaker resumes have made it in - so it's not a good story.

Thanks for that hot take!!!!!

Reaction Score
The Good:

Mixed Bag:

The Bad
that's funny...I fall in this category and have had conversations with him many many times at football and hockey games. The fact that he recognizes my wife and I all the time and initiates conversation says a lot to me. Sorry @Chief00 but I'm calling BULLS**T on this only because of personal experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My view on Warde, I think he served the university well. I liked what he did here. I'm happy for him that he truly did land his dream job. Freescooter, you can stop reading here.

- Realignment: I never bought the narrative that he got caught with his pants down in the Bahamas drinking Mai Tai's. Truth be told AD's do not have as much influence here as some would have you believe. His job was to put the school in position for consideration. I think he did himself proud in that regard. He cannot geographically move the campus to northern NJ.

- Rebranding: While this is very subjective, I personally love it. Everything about it.

- Fundraising: It's way up. On his watch we got the hoops practice facility up. He identified the need to improve fundraising given our lot in the conference. It was addressed.

- Hires: He hired 3 young coaches who show a lot of promise. I think he handled the Calhoun retirement/Ollie hiring brilliantly. Not sure what others wanted him to do. He made everyone happy while not compromising his authority.

- He fired P: Let's not forget he inherited that clown show. I wanted him to can him after his 2nd season, but I understand why he didn't. Firing his after that Buffalo disaster was an easy decision.

Our athletic dept is in much better shape now than when he took the reigns. We owe him our thanks and respect.

Reaction Score
In keeping with BY tradition My take is expressed in haiku.

Hail to the Victor
Warde to UM to replace
Wings with eyeballs now?

C

Chief00

My view on Warde, I think he served the university well. I liked what he did here. I'm happy for him that he truly did land his dream job. Freescooter, you can stop reading here.

- Realignment: I never bought the narrative that he got caught with his pants down in the Bahamas drinking Mai Tai's. Truth be told AD's do not have as much influence here as some would have you believe. His job was to put the school in position for consideration. I think he did himself proud in that regard. He cannot geographically move the campus to northern NJ.

- Rebranding: While this is very subjective, I personally love it. Everything about it.

- Fundraising: It's way up. On his watch we got the hoops practice facility up. He identified the need to improve fundraising given our lot in the conference. It was addressed.

- Hires: He hired 3 young coaches who show a lot of promise. I think he handled the Calhoun retirement/Ollie hiring brilliantly. Not sure what others wanted him to do. He made everyone happy while not compromising his authority.

- He fired P: Let's not forget he inherited that clown show. I wanted him to can him after his 2nd season, but I understand why he didn't. Firing his after that Buffalo disaster was an easy decision.

Our athletic dept is in much better shape now than when he took the reigns. We owe him our thanks and respect.

I think those are the accomplishments. What one can't ignore is the huge financial deficit that's been run despite the BE team exit fees and conference naming fees - there seems to be no plan B and the financial day of reckoning us soon here.

Reaction Score
I think those are the accomplishments. What one can't ignore is the huge financial deficit that's been run despite the BE team exit fees and conference naming fees - there seems to be no plan B and the financial day of reckoning us soon here.
I think your logic is sound here. It is problem however, for the next AD. Fair or unfair, it is what it is. We are being mentioned for possible Big 12 bid, Warde helped keep us in the conversation. Next person up has to keep the train rolling in that direction.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Punked by Louisville
Drink in hand toes in the sand
Bye big donut man

Is it April yet?
Can't wait to see your tantrums
over NY Mets.

Reaction Score

Did all of those fees go to the Athletic Dept? Honest question. I'm guessing no. Warde continued to manage the dept like it was a P5 program while getting paid pennies on the dollar. If he cut sports and didn't spend the money required to run a big time program than you and everyone else would've had his head on top of a pitchfork.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Chief's logic: cut athletic funds while also successfully getting us into P5...

fzrtozl.jpg

C

Chief00

Chief's logic: cut athletic funds while also successfully getting us into P5...

fzrtozl.jpg
We are not talking a couple million - depending on what accounting methodology - we are talking 10's of millions in the hole. Running huge deficits is generally not the business plan you want to highlight toward acceptance to anything.

Reaction Score
We are not talking a couple million - depending on what accounting methodology - we are talking 10's of millions in the hole. Running huge deficits is generally not the business plan you want to highlight toward acceptance to anything.

See New Jersey, State University of . . . oh, wait . . .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's a gamble. Realignment involving UConn to a P5 will make up those dollars and put us in a better financial position long term. To get there, UConn has to show that it has a P5 level athletic department. We can't be deficient compared to others we may compete with for a spot. So they have to spend and bleed red ink now in order to get UConn where it wants to be.

How long can that continue? It's a valid question. Not indefinitely. But as to the strategy in the near term? It is absolutely the only option we have aside from abandoning any hope of ever being a big time public U. It's as simple as that. There are very few top tier public research universities that don't play FBS football and fund other D1 sports. Outside of the SUNY's and UConn, everybody else in our peer category is already P5. UConn does not want to return to the day when it was considered more like U Maine or URI than like Penn State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom