My suggestion on finding a coach... | The Boneyard

My suggestion on finding a coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just keep firing any coach that loses a game until you find one that never loses. It's fool proof.

I'm out for a while guys. This board is now officially unreadable. Enjoy the game Saturday. I know I will.

Reaction Score
I know you are signing off, but for those others who are still in HCPP and GDL's corner, when in your mind is the point where you turn on them and UConn needs a new coach?

Reaction Score
When the President and the AD determine it needs to happen... I truely only worry about things that I can directly control.

Reaction Score
Just keep firing any coach that loses a game until you find one that never loses. It's fool proof.

I'm out for a while guys. This board is now officially unreadable. Enjoy the game Saturday. I know I will.

all the boneyarders are filthy pirate lovin', coach hatin', garbage writin' dim wits.

I cant read this anymore....I'm going to go tell my mommy on you.

Im taking My Bat and My Ball and going HOME! wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reaction Score
I know you are signing off, but for those others who are still in HCPP and GDL's corner, when in your mind is the point where you turn on them and UConn needs a new coach?

After the good season is a pretty good time to analyze what you have, what you can get, and where you go from there, imo.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

We are 0-1 in the BE and may have lost to the best team in the BE this year.

I'll wait until the end of the season. I have seen too many teams turn things around mid-season to pee in my pants now (sorry Huskyfandan).

Last season, a vocal group of ND fans wanted Kelly fired. This year, a vocal group of ND fans think they'll win the NC because they are 5-0.

Last season, a vocal group of SU fans thought Marrone was GOD after the WVU win. Then they lost 9 straight to BCS competion.

A few years ago, a vocal group of UCONN BB fans thought Calhoun needed to go. That the game passed him by. Then he won a NC.

Lets wait to see what happens first.

Reaction Score

I'll wait until the end of the season. I have seen too many teams turn things around mid-season to pee in my pants now (sorry Huskyfandan).

Last season, a vocal group of ND fans wanted Kelly fired. This year, a vocal group of ND fans think they'll win the NC because they are 5-0.

Last season, a vocal group of SU fans thought Marrone was GOD after the WVU win. Then they lost 9 straight to BCS competion.

A few years ago, a vocal group of UCONN BB fans thought Calhoun needed to go. That the game passed him by. Then he won a NC.

And 2 years ago, sdhusky wanted the coach fired before going on a run to the Fiesta Bowl. Surprised you left that one out.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
And 2 years ago, sdhusky wanted the coach fired before going on a run to the Fiesta Bowl. Surprised you left that one out.

I was a Edsall suppoter until he quit. But nice fantasy, moron.

Reaction Score
I'll settle for a coach who doesn't have 33 seconds on the clock at the end of the half, with 3 time outs and runs incomplete, complete and incomplete passes without calling any time outs and then has to try a next zip code FG. And after the fact sees no problems.
Not much to ask. Think maybe my neighbor who coaches Pop Warner could handle that. Everything after that would be gravy.

Reaction Score

I'm typically in this camp myself. I get it. I just can't find a way that the offense is going to turn it around. I hope i'm wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After the good season is a pretty good time to analyze what you have, what you can get, and where you go from there, imo.

You're talking sense there man. Snap out of it!

Reaction Score
We shouldn't be firing Pasqualoni mid-season. Manuel should be letting him know that GDL is on thin ice, and if he's unwilling to cut ties, they may both be on the block.

It's not like this is his first season. He's repeating the same mistakes from last year. Piss poor clock management, baffling substitution "strategy", losing close games, inconsistent performance from week to week, no sense of team identity. This isn't a first time head coach. This is a guy with the winningest record in the conference and NFL experience in between. Some of the mistakes are simply inexcusable for a man with his resume, and we are justified to be pissed off.

I was never thrilled with the identity of the previous team. We were boring and conservative. But it worked for us, and at least we knew what to expect. Rarely would our guys take a game off, we won more close games than we lost (which made games exciting), and we while we struggled offensively, at least we did one thing well and stayed with it. It was our identity. It landed a few guys in the NFL, and it got us to our share of bowl wins and more championships than the overhyped program that just dismantled us.

What does this team do well offensively?

Run? Nope.
Pass? Negative.
Wildcat? LMAO.

What's our identity? Are we tough-nosed, blow you off the ball and run on you? No. Are we spread you out, and kill you with our speed? No. Are we a pro set relying on play action and timing? No. We're trying to be everything and in the end it leaves us not good enough at any of them to win consistently.

Are we at least improving from last year? Defensively, yes. Nobody wants to lose Brown. Offensively? Not in clock management. Not in establishing the run (it's gotten worse). In passing? Yes, moderately, but it hasn't had any positive affect on the W/L column.

There is more than enough evidence to be supremely concerned about the quality of the coaching at OC. There is no evidence to suggest P will do anything about it, but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to complain about it.

Reaction Score
To find the right coach I suggest Warde Manuel send this offensive strategy scenario as a survey question to every head coach along with a multiple choice answer key:

Situation: You are trailing 6-3 on the road against your conference rival in a hard fought first half. You get the ball back and advance it to the opponents 34 yard line with 23 seconds remaining. As the clock starts to run you snap the ball but play is stopped at 14 secs for an official's review of the previous reception. No additional time is put back on the clock. So with the ball on the opponents 34 with 14 secs left and the clock scheduled to start on the officials whistle-- you now face a decision.

Of these 3 possible choices, which would you be more likely to select:

1. Run up to line of scrimmage and try end zone pass with understanding that if unsuccessful FG kicker will try from 52 yards at an angle but with the wind.
2. Run up to line of scrimmage and run realizing that with ball 5 yards closer and in middle of the field your kicker has better probability of success. You feel confident you can spike the ball for field goal attempt.
3. Run up to line of scrimmage and try short pass to catch defense off guard, allowing for 52 yard FG if incomplete but risking enough time to spike the ball for the field goal attempt if short pass is completed.

Bonus Question: Would your selected answer be different if you learned you also had three available time outs? Discuss.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My suggestion on finding more wins? A different coaching staff.

The mid-year stuff is a fantasy. Nobody is going anywhere and it would just make things worse. The games are still winnable, firing anyone midseason would be throwing out a chance to get to a bowl and get another month of practice.

Reaction Score
Still not convinced 100% on GDL but 100% agree on PP - it's AD 201. Even the new BC AD agrees:

"...After a 34-31 loss to Army that left the Eagles with a 1-4 record to start a frustrating season, calls for Spaziani’s job have been as loud as they have at any point in his three-year tenure as head coach. Bates said, however, that he had no intentions of firing Spaziani midway through the season.“Just like any sport, you will assess it at the end of the year,” Bates said. “You’ll look at a body of work rather than than the emotional roller coaster of every week.”

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/...ic-director/9oodg8rKDM9OWeZnikc1nM/story.html

Reaction Score
This board is unreadable, our offense is unwatchable, all reasonable opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom