My biggest worry is | Page 3 | The Boneyard

My biggest worry is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He would be the only Div I college coach, in any sport, that never used word if that is true. I'm pretty sure I have lip read some of the assistants using that word under Diaco and I know I heard players using that word. That word is also one of the most useful words in the english language.

Set high expectations for the players and the team, work them hard to get there, expect the players to execute and call them on it when they don't. Who cares what the language is.
Bobby Johnson at Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
You couldn't be more wrong. We will eventually get a P5 invite and it won't just be because of football. Academics and facilities has a lot to do with it as does the size of a schools endowment, and I suppose the saying that "football drives the bus" is true, but a multitude of NCAA titles in men's and women's b-ball, soccer, baseball, field hockey and ice hockey can certainly pay for gas.
As I was sitting here watching the snow start to collect outside I did a little checking about the endowments and to my surprise UConn ranks 7th in the AAC as far as endowments for all sports members. I couldn't find the info on Navy.

72f3b1eeb7934a35a7d878f02b44b40a.png

Reaction Score
Diaco promoted a big ole "Join our family of we all love each other"
I have zero knowledge of how he coached his players in practice or during the games, in terms of language used, but I'm going to guess he rarely, if ever, used the "F word"
From the one story I read about "good job" and a pat on the ass of a defensive player, after a team drove down the field to score on him/them, I'm thinking these kids came here because other players told them Diaco was a "different" kind of coach.
Randy won't have to clean house of kids that are problem kids, and I'm sure Diaco taught them that going to class and "team first" was important.
I just think Randy is going to be a culture shock for some and we will see some kids leave due to the shock they receive.

I think players leaving "due to shock" is the last worry. The lockerroom and off-field is not a problem or worry.. If they leave the program, it's because the existing talent stepped up or new players came in that were better and there was a realistic self assessment. At MD, players left because there existed no discipline in the lockerroom. when Randy arrived. That is not going to be the case here.

My biggest worry is DEPTH, a depleted secondary, and re-build of the offensive line...... and how quickly Randy V2.0 can recruit given we are almost into January. Injuries can cut into a team's success with no depth.....

Reaction Score
My gosh I watched that Brown video. He was a great back but look at some of the blocking too. We haven't seen guys blow away defenses like that in years.

Reaction Score
My biggest worry is, the university was not able to raise enough cash to attract a Les Miles, Greg Schiano, Art Briles, Mark Helfrich caliber HC and staff. Not being able to attract top level coaches in one of the richest states in the country should be alarming and it pretty much sentences UConn to eternal G-5 status.
We used to be one ...but we've driven wealthy people and job creating businesses out of the state with huge tax burdens.
I don't expect Edsall to kick anyone off the team unless he gets off to a bad start, then he will toss someone off the team for forgetting to put the cap back on their toothpaste.
You can bet there will be a sacrificial lamb to make sure they get the message there is a new sheriff in town . I'd hate to be that guy but you know the first back talker, loafer or guy showing up late to a meeting is going to get destroyed.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
My gosh I watched that Brown video. He was a great back but look at some of the blocking too. We haven't seen guys blow away defenses like that in years.

If you watch, so many times, he is 2 yards past the line before meeting the first defender. And he almost always took care of the first defender himself.

Reaction Score

What was shocking compared to what we've been watching is how frequently are OL are 8-12 yards downfield hitting people. We haven't seen that in years. (At least 5).

Reaction Score
We used to be one ...but we've driven wealthy people and job creating businesses out of the state with huge tax burdens.

You can bet there will be a sacrificial lamb to make sure they get the message there is a new sheriff in town . I'd hate to be that guy but you know the first back talker, loafer or guy showing up late to a meeting is going to get destroyed.

I mean LMAO. Dumbest post of the day right here.

Alabama doesn't raise more booster money than us because they have richer fans than us. Seriously, can you be so stupid? They raise more money than us because they have more fans and their fans care a million times more on average than ours do.

Reaction Score
If you watch, so many times, he is 2 yards past the line before meeting the first defender. And he almost always took care of the first defender himself.

In 2007, if you tried to tackle the Donald with just your arms, you might as well have just saved your energy.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Alabama doesn't raise more booster money than us because they have richer fans than us. Seriously, can you be so stupid? They raise more money than us because they have more fans and their fans care a million times more on average than ours do.

Yes, I have to laugh at the use of endowments in these arguments. If they mattered, then Harvard and Yale would still be running things, and schools like LSU and Bama wouldn't afford to field teams.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
In 2007, if you tried to tackle the Donald with just your arms, you might as well have just saved your energy.

I watched Tomlinson play almost every down in San Diego and the thing that was amazing about him, and Donald Brown could do at the college level, is he could always make the first guy miss without losing a step. Almost effortlessly changing direction slightly and the defender looking stupid. No fancy move or juke.

And both had world class stiff arms.

Reaction Score
That's true... You got to think too, coming back is going to be pretty weird for Randy. He's going to walk into the Burton which has been re-done by Diaco... a lot different than he left the place over 6 years ago. He'll want to put his own stamp on the program and how the ship is run. And quick. Should be interesting to see what happens here. This is a crazy time for the UConn Football program.
Can't be much worse than the stamp that was put on the program for the last six seasons.

Reaction Score

You are the moron. I was responding to the notion we are the richest state. But that would take more than 2 brain cells to discern that. Go back to your real estate closing for 800 bucks, schmuck.

Reaction Score
Not too concerned about this. Diaco might have been super positive and all about love and care, but I'm sure the whole coaching staff wasn't. Every staff is a mix of personalities. Diaco coached under Brian Kelly, who screamed at players on the sideline more than Calhoun did.

Might be some people leaving for different reasons, but don't think too many because of this. Plus, anyone who isn't tired of losing enough to try something new probably isn't a player we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom