My biggest worry is | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My biggest worry is

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Just ask yourself this -- when Johnson was stuffed at the 1 at Annapolis, can you imagine Donald Brown just standing there and watching the clock run out? Marcus Easley? Mike Ryan? Tyler L? Heck, Deon Anderson would have taken the ball from the refs, carried 3 defenders over the goal line, put his hands up and dared someone to tell him he hadn't scored.

Not really a relevant point. Brown would have been flexing in the back of the end zone.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I also have no idea what FHCBD was like in practice but I too doubt he had much of a "potty" mouth.
But these kids have played football for many years and under a few coaches, doubt if they haven't encountered one who had a foul language or tough love approach.
The way some played last season, looks like it would not be a bad thing to spice it up a bit

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think we have mostly high character guys. They'll stay.

ANd the ones who think Edsall is too demanding with help us out by leaving.

Reaction Score
Agreed Husky25 ... my reasoning for the QB and OL thing is because we seemed to never, ever ever ever, hold on our own consistently on that side of the ball.. All we saw were glimpses... the entire time under Diaco...Once moment swung against us we had no fight in the dog to regain momentum....

But that reality is Diaco lost this team starting with the UCF game. The team was doomed on both sides of the football.

Reaction Score
Agreed Husky25 ... my reasoning for the QB and OL thing is because we seemed to never, ever ever ever, hold on our own consistently on that side of the ball.. All we saw were glimpses... the entire time under Diaco...Once moment swung against us we had no fight in the dog to regain momentum....

But that reality is Diaco lost this team starting with the UCF game. The team was doomed on both sides of the football. It felt like once they beat us (handily I might add) they wiped that behinds with the Conflict trophy and left on the Husky Dog's nose at the 50 yard line on their way out.

Reaction Score
Diaco promoted a big ole "Join our family of we all love each other"

I have zero knowledge of how he coached his players in practice or during the games, in terms of language used, but I'm going to guess he rarely, if ever, used the "F word"

From the one story I read about "good job" and a pat on the ass of a defensive player, after a team drove down the field to score on him/them, I'm thinking these kids came here because other players told them Diaco was a "different" kind of coach.

Randy won't have to clean house of kids that are problem kids, and I'm sure Diaco taught them that going to class and "team first" was important.

I just think Randy is going to be a culture shock for some and we will see some kids leave due to the shock they receive.

I look forward to a different approach by Randy (which was was effective the 1st time around).

There was nothing worse than being down 30-0 at BC and watching Diaco walk out on the field to high five all of his offensive players after a 3 and out series. I am sorry but you have no credibility as a leader when you congratulate everyone for everything that is done (good or bad). I know he is trying to motivate and keep heads high, but there is a time and a place for that.

I have a boss that thanks people for every little thing they do at work-it gets old quick...and is demotivating for those who get the same level of gratitude for significant accomplishments. He has caused more harm than good with his "everybody is great" approach. It breeds mediocrity! Good leadership requires positive and constructive feedback-you can't develop people by just saying thank you and patting them on the butt!

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

I have zero knowledge of how he coached his players in practice or during the games, in terms of language used, but I'm going to guess he rarely, if ever, used the "F word"

From the one story I read about "good job" and a pat on the ass of a defensive player, after a team drove down the field to score on him/them, I'm thinking these kids came here because other players told them Diaco was a "different" kind of coach.

Randy won't have to clean house of kids that are problem kids, and I'm sure Diaco taught them that going to class and "team first" was important.

I just think Randy is going to be a culture shock for some and we will see some kids leave due to the shock they receive.

Why is this a worry? If Diaco recruited soft minded losers that leave when a coach gets in their arse, then good riddance.

I for one, will be happy to see a player get chewed out on the field again for the first time in 6 years at UConn.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
My biggest worry is that these poor kids won't have anybody clapping, cheering and butt-slapping their return to the sidelines every time the other team kicks a field goal after the D yields another bend-but don't-break 3 points. Randy may be a lot of things but he won't be an cheerleader for mediocrity. Maybe we'll see toughness, hunger and a bit of angry on the field again.

Reaction Score

Randy is going to be pleased with the Mental, Physical and cultural make up of the team. Diaco did a good job in this area. I am hoping the Coordinators and position coaches RE selects can convince some of their quality recruits to flip to UCONN. My biggest concern is I don't want to go back to more predictable low scoring offenses.

Reaction Score
My biggest worry is, the university was not able to raise enough cash to attract a Les Miles, Greg Schiano, Art Briles, Mark Helfrich caliber HC and staff. Not being able to attract top level coaches in one of the richest states in the country should be alarming and it pretty much sentences UConn to eternal G-5 status.

Crazy stuff right here, guys. We could have had 7 mil in pocket and I guarantee you Miles, Briles (I wouldn't take Briles even if he took a million dollar offer...guy has NCAA violations written all over him), Helfrich wouldn't take this job.

Reaction Score
My biggest worry is, the university was not able to raise enough cash to attract a Les Miles, Greg Schiano, Art Briles, Mark Helfrich caliber HC and staff. Not being able to attract top level coaches in one of the richest states in the country should be alarming and it pretty much sentences UConn to eternal G-5 status.
You couldn't be more wrong. We will eventually get a P5 invite and it won't just be because of football. Academics and facilities has a lot to do with it as does the size of a schools endowment, and I suppose the saying that "football drives the bus" is true, but a multitude of NCAA titles in men's and women's b-ball, soccer, baseball, field hockey and ice hockey can certainly pay for gas.

Reaction Score
Not really a relevant point. Brown would have been flexing in the back of the end zone.
The reason it's not relevant is we would never have run that play. I don't criticize the players for being a confused and hesitant bunch. They mirrored the coach. Calling time out before running the 2nd down play was one of the worst decisions/indecisions of Diaco's tenure. What followed was extra-terrestrial in its confusion.

Reaction Score
Why is this a worry? If Diaco recruited soft minded losers that leave when a coach gets in their arse, then good riddance.

I for one, will be happy to see a player get chewed out on the field again for the first time in 6 years at UConn.

To be fair, PPGDL chewed players out. The players just totally tuned them out.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is how well he will be able to recruit. This was never his strong suit and now he is recruiting to the AAC instead of the BE, while still competing against BE caliber teams in Houston, USF, Cincy, Temple, even Navy plus OOC opponents from the P5. His rep as a HC has taken a hit because of what happened at Maryland and that can't help on the recruiting trail. Also he apparently never had good relations with the HS coaches in CT which undermines his ability to attract local talent, sparse though it may be. I just hope he brings in some assistants who are good recruiters.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

You may be right, but I am stuck with this mental image of PP just standing there dumbfounded at why he couldn't just trot a team out and win without talents McNabb, Freeney, and Harrison on the team.

Reaction Score

My biggest worry is that you thought that it was actually possible? Were you dropped out of the sky yesterday?

We have talked about the school / endowment / lack of boosters here ad nauseum. Why would that change now?

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is how well he will be able to recruit. This was never his strong suit and now he is recruiting to the AAC instead of the BE, while still competing against BE caliber teams in Houston, USF, Cincy, Temple, even Navy plus OOC opponents from the P5. His rep as a HC has taken a hit because of what happened at Maryland and that can't help on the recruiting trail. Also he apparently never had good relations with the HS coaches in CT which undermines his ability to attract local talent, sparse though it may be. I just hope he brings in some assistants who are good recruiters.

The meme about Randy and CTHS coaches being arch enemies needs to stop. Sure the Lou Marinellis and Filippones of the CTHSFB world didn't like him but there are plenty of staffs that held him in high regard. A lot of those staffs are gone now anyway so he gets a chance to push the reset button

Reaction Score

Chewed them out isn't even close. They brutalized them and did not show any love afterwords. Most college football players understand what coaches are doing when yelling at them.

My point was/is I think Diaco showed way to much love and gave out participation ribbons. There is no doubt this team needs a wake up call and Randy is that guy. It just might shock a few players, was my point.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

Regardless of Recruiting site stars, Edsall coached up the best players to ever play for UConn.

Reaction Score
My biggest worry is that Randy is who he is and isn't willing to adapt, and that the game has moved on.

That, by the way, is a perfectly reasonable thing to be worried about. We will have to see.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That could be an accurate claim. But look what he did with what he had, and how he developed players.

Between 2004 and 2010, we won a minimum of 8 games in all seasons except 2005 and 2006. You could argue 2005 and 2006 were transition years without Dan O - but look at the 2006-2007 and onward transition. We were 4-8 in 2006 and then in 2007 we were being talked about (for a time) getting a BCS bowl game. We were ranked as high as #13 in the BCS rankings. That to me, shows that Randy gets the most of his players and with his system can develop them into a talented group.

So imagine if we could recruit like a P5 program? I'm not that enthusiastic about the hire, but with the right mix of ingredients Edsall knows how to win, he knows how to win at UConn, and we should be excited for that.

Reaction Score
That, by the way, is a perfectly reasonable thing to be worried about. We will have to see.

I also believe that, outside of idiots like weyo and people like Nos and Skiblets who have been Randy since he left, whether or not someone likes this hire depends on how likely they think that it will be the case.

Reaction Score
I don't entirely buy the argument that Randy didn't adapt. He actually was pretty good at working with the talent he had. When he had Dan O he threw it all over the lot. When he had stud running backs like Todman and Brown he ran the ball. But don't forget that Fraser had 300 yard passing games too. Defensively when we had shutdown corners in 2009 and 10 we played differently than when those guys were coming up as Frosh and Sophomores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom