My biggest worry is | The Boneyard

My biggest worry is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco promoted a big ole "Join our family of we all love each other"

I have zero knowledge of how he coached his players in practice or during the games, in terms of language used, but I'm going to guess he rarely, if ever, used the "F word"

From the one story I read about "good job" and a pat on the ass of a defensive player, after a team drove down the field to score on him/them, I'm thinking these kids came here because other players told them Diaco was a "different" kind of coach.

Randy won't have to clean house of kids that are problem kids, and I'm sure Diaco taught them that going to class and "team first" was important.

I just think Randy is going to be a culture shock for some and we will see some kids leave due to the shock they receive.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
That's true... You got to think too, coming back is going to be pretty weird for Randy. He's going to walk into the Burton which has been re-done by Diaco... a lot different than he left the place over 6 years ago. He'll want to put his own stamp on the program and how the ship is run. And quick. Should be interesting to see what happens here. This is a crazy time for the UConn Football program.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Randy was fair with kids, they knew where he stood. There is a locker room brotherhood and if he brings in a Wholley or another former player, the message will be sent. Expect some kids to leave because Randy did that here and at Maryland.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There might not be much turnover right away.

There are probably few academic or behavior problems on the roster.

There is plenty of playing time available all over the field.

The class isn't exactly recruiting over many on the current roster.

Reaction Score
Diaco promoted a big ole "Join our family of we all love each other"

I have zero knowledge of how he coached his players in practice or during the games, in terms of language used, but I'm going to guess he rarely, if ever, used the "F word"

From the one story I read about "good job" and a pat on the ass of a defensive player, after a team drove down the field to score on him/them, I'm thinking these kids came here because other players told them Diaco was a "different" kind of coach.

Randy won't have to clean house of kids that are problem kids, and I'm sure Diaco taught them that going to class and "team first" was important.

I just think Randy is going to be a culture shock for some and we will see some kids leave due to the shock they receive.
I hope you're not suggesting that it would of been better to keep Disco another year, than to hire HCRE.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
LOL, Randy might want to peel some paint and ugly the place up just a bit...

Reaction Score
My biggest worry is, the university was not able to raise enough cash to attract a Les Miles, Greg Schiano, Art Briles, Mark Helfrich caliber HC and staff. Not being able to attract top level coaches in one of the richest states in the country should be alarming and it pretty much sentences UConn to eternal G-5 status.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
My biggest worry is, the university was not able to raise enough cash to attract a Les Miles, Greg Schiano, Art Briles, Mark Helfrich caliber HC and staff. Not being able to attract top level coaches in one of the richest states in the country should be alarming and it pretty much sentences UConn to eternal G-5 status.

After the losing losers we've had in PP and Diaco, we need to win again.

Reaction Score
This P5/G5 crap gets so old. We're pretty much next in freaking line, even if Diaco was still at the helm. Is that hard to grasp?!?

Reaction Score
Um no. :rolleyes:

Is Randy, plus new staff, better than Kill and Diaco (for one year)? Fiasco scalitoed that option. What a dope. I would have liked to see what Kill would have done, but I also think BD still screws up the defense and game management.

Reaction Score
My biggest worry is addressing the depth at QB.. QUALITY depth... You need competent backups.. JUCO, GS transfers... would like to see both come in and compete, along with a HS kid or 2 for Fall camp (no more walk ons at that position please)...
Other biggest worry. OL.... Similar situation.. GS transfer, JUCO route moreso than HS... we use that route 99.9% of the time.. Need an impact lineman or 2 to smack somebody in the mouth once the ball is hiked....

Reaction Score
Schiano/Edsall is a wash.

Reaction Score

Just delete your account. You are the king of stupid and on here that's no small feat.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I much prefer the Edsall tough love approach to the Bob "good job guys" Diaco approach. He was creating players without a spine. UConn is going to have a spine again.

Just ask yourself this -- when Johnson was stuffed at the 1 at Annapolis, can you imagine Donald Brown just standing there and watching the clock run out? Marcus Easley? Mike Ryan? Tyler L? Heck, Deon Anderson would have taken the ball from the refs, carried 3 defenders over the goal line, put his hands up and dared someone to tell him he hadn't scored.

Players need guts. Players need not just to want to win -- I'm sure all our players wanted to win -- but to do anything in their power to make it happen. And coaches need to develop and encourage mental toughness as opposed to passivity.

Reaction Score
Any time you change coaches you see some attrition. Goes with the territory. But as I've said since this was announced I am looking forward to a return of hard nosed football again.

Fwiw bl I agree with your thoughts on the end of Navy.

Reaction Score
He would be the only Div I college coach, in any sport, that never used word if that is true. I'm pretty sure I have lip read some of the assistants using that word under Diaco and I know I heard players using that word. That word is also one of the most useful words in the english language.

Set high expectations for the players and the team, work them hard to get there, expect the players to execute and call them on it when they don't. Who cares what the language is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Undoubtedly someone is going to be made an example out of by Edsall. He'll have his whooping boys too just like every coach.

It's up to the players to decide if they want to be the one to toe the line or test the line.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My biggest worry is addressing the depth at QB.. QUALITY depth... You need competent backups.. JUCO, GS transfers... would like to see both come in and compete, along with a HS kid or 2 for Fall camp (no more walk ons at that position please)...
Other biggest worry. OL.... Similar situation.. GS transfer, JUCO route moreso than HS... we use that route 99.9% of the time.. Need an impact lineman or 2 to smack somebody in the mouth once the ball is hiked....

Undoubtedly, you have these concerns ranked 1a and 1b. However I'd consider the OL 1a and QB 1b, particularly if UConn takes a JUCO route and Tyler Davis wants to return to the position for which he was recruited. Worry number 2 is DL depth.

I am lukewarm on this hire, but what I liked about Edsall is his attention to building a line up from the lines outs, regardless of the side of the ball. The lines set the tone on each and every play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom