My Anti-Courant Pledge | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Anti-Courant Pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hey! Zarley Zalapski had a blistering slapshot!

...that never hit the net! Didn't he even miss the net during the NHL All-Star Game skills competition for hardest slap shot? I seem to think he did but I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks on me from all of the memories of him missing the net in games.

That guy played more left wing than defense. I'll never forget his proclamation that he was a "top 10" NHL defensemen and should be paid like one. I just about fell off my bicycle laughing at the thought.

Reaction Score
can someone refresh me on why that trade was made? Was it a salary dump?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Things to do with Courant if you still get it delivered (I gave it up years ago - much easier to give that up than smoking, drinking and sniffing glue)

courant 1.jpg

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Exactly. You can't advocate for making large investments for what is, realistically, a NHL pipe dream (at best) and then turn around and say that UCONN should stop investing in the sport that will help it get out of mid-majordom. UCONN is closer to a P5 invite than Hartford is to spending $500M to build a new arena and try to lure a NHL team back to the city. All this program/school needs is 1-2 winning seasons to show everyone, again, that UCONN can succeed and be competitive in the college cash cow sport.
As far as hockey goes, Jacobs has been, I think, pretty consistent that the Howard Baldwins of the world are pipe dreaming and pursuing the NHL (or other major pro sport franchises) is probably going to turn out to be a bad deal for CT, while upgrading UConn hockey was a much better bet for engaging the hockey fanbase than even the Wolfpack. This latest column on UConn football is only a reflection of a faction of the so-called fanbase, the reality is if three years of Diaco winds up being equivalent to three years of Pasqualoni, the Nelsons of the internet are going to multiply like rabbits and Jeff Jacobs is going to be the least of our worries.

Dooley

Reaction Score
can someone refresh me on why that trade was made? Was it a salary dump?

Whaler management, at the time, pointed the finger at the lack of playoff success and claimed the franchise needed to go in a different direction.

If you ask me, this was all part of EJ's evil plot to trade one of the best Centers in NHL history (along with a top, physical defenseman) to the roster that he would eventually end up coaching to pad his W/L coaching stats. There are no shortage of conspiracy theories for the average Connecticut sports fan and this is one of mine. :)

Reaction Score
I used to crave watching College Football and Basketball on TV and in person as a 12 year ST holder for UCONN football. Now I have found that I am not interested in watching it on TV. I've got the time but not the desire since I am retired now just a little over 3 years. This CR with UCONN relegated to the back of the bus by the powers that be has done it for me. MONEY, GREED, MONEY and More GREED to pay those coaches and administrators to keep them from moving on. $king Treadmill that will not slow down. The old Glory Days of the Big East are long gone to the point were UCONN has fallen into a deep chasm where they might not be able to get out. It sucks big time. Having a hard time deciding if I should renew my 2 ST for football.
Just reading the negative banter on the BY or in the Courant doesn't help either. I looked forward to the signing day get together. It is amazing how just a couple of people could throw the whole University into such a quagmire. Depressing!!! Thank God that spring is just around the corner with days getting noticeably longer. Excuse me for the rant but at my age I hope to be around long enough to be able to see the HUSKIES scale the walls of this chasm. Some P5 conference has to throw a lifeline.

Amen brother, amen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think the trade was bad from a fan's standpoint. Imagine being Jeff Parker. Ended his career instantly.

Reaction Score
I used to crave watching College Football and Basketball on TV and in person as a 12 year ST holder for UCONN football. Now I have found that I am not interested in watching it on TV. I've got the time but not the desire since I am retired now just a little over 3 years. This CR with UCONN relegated to the back of the bus by the powers that be has done it for me. MONEY, GREED, MONEY and More GREED to pay those coaches and administrators to keep them from moving on. $king Treadmill that will not slow down. The old Glory Days of the Big East are long gone to the point were UCONN has fallen into a deep chasm where they might not be able to get out. It sucks big time. Having a hard time deciding if I should renew my 2 ST for football.
Just reading the negative banter on the BY or in the Courant doesn't help either. I looked forward to the signing day get together. It is amazing how just a couple of people could throw the whole University into such a quagmire. Depressing!!! Thank God that spring is just around the corner with days getting noticeably longer. Excuse me for the rant but at my age I hope to be around long enough to be able to see the HUSKIES scale the walls of this chasm. Some P5 conference has to throw a lifeline.

Personally I'm not sure college athletics as we know it is even around in 10 years.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If you think the trade was bad from a fan's standpoint. Imagine being Jeff Parker. Ended his career instantly.

Poor guy. Wasn't he concussed on his first shift at the old Cap Centre? The NHL has since wisely put up cushioning along the glass because of hits like the one that ended his career.

Reaction Score
I stopped subscribing in the early 1990s when they supported the CT Income Tax which has ruined this state. That was then participated in the Big Lie - it was only going to be a few percent to smooth out cash flow...ha..look at it now. I read a blog article or two when they are linked here.

Reaction Score
i don't think Cullen has gotten up from the ice yet. i'll never forget that playoff series when he looked he was a high school kid skating against NHLer's

Reaction Score
when Jacobs writes hockey, i usually would read. In his attempts to stir up the pot to be relevant on the CT sports scene, he has become impossible to read

Reaction Score
All of the UConn football analysis I need comes from "The View from Section 241," and I get all of my recruiting news from the venerable Dynasty, Huskymedic, 3uconn, and Husky99 (I apologize to the others whose tireless efforts I'm forgetting). No need for the Courant.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
All of the UConn football analysis I need comes from "The View from Section 241," and I get all of my recruiting news from the venerable Dynasty, Huskymedic, 3uconn, and Husky99 (I apologize to the others whose tireless efforts I'm forgetting). No need for the Courant.
Before I registered on the Boneyard, courant.com would be the first site I read every morning, then Mr. Connor developed a chapped backside - presumably over the calls for former "Coach" Pasqualoni's job by those who help fund his salary - and discontinued his Monday Morning chat sessions (not that they were productive in the first place. Every answer used to be "I'll ask," or "I'll look into it."), while the site as a whole began only accepting facebook comments. Since then, this site is the best source of UConn sports news and recaps.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Interesting cocktail party trivia if you're at a bizarre cocktail party where only Boneyarders are present:

The Boneyard actually started on the Courant website.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Interesting cocktail party trivia if you're at a bizarre cocktail party where only Boneyarders are present:

The Boneyard actually started on the Courant website.

Now that would be bizarre and 'off the hook' - but everyone MUST wear their BY handle and avatar while attending the BY Cocktail party.

Reaction Score
Could anyone imagine Fishy and Jeff Jacobs in a room together?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
a little off topic - fathers work had season tickets - including the year the roof collapsed, I believe the rest of the home games were in Springfield MA but we didnt go there.

Favortie game EVER - They played Edmonton Oilers in their glory days - think they beat the Oilers 11-0?? Day game. Granted I believe Gretzky/Kurri/Fuhr were NOT playing...

Reaction Score
To ALL of the Basketball posters who want UConn football to go away answer me this..... What proof/guarantee do you have that UConn dropping football would lead to the big east begging for UConn to join? Sounds like the bbal board is living on a prayer

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
To ALL of the Basketball posters who want UConn football to go away answer me this..... What proof/guarantee do you have that UConn dropping football would lead to the big east begging for UConn to join? Sounds like the bbal board is living on a prayer
This is spot on.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I was at a cocktail party like that when I wrote the op. Assuming one person drinking alone is a 'party'.
Nope - My other used to say 'No parties' when they would go away.
I asked, whats your definition of a party.
Answer: More than two people have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger