My air conditioner is having seizures

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by temery, Aug 12, 2016.

1. temery

temery What?

Shaking every 10 minutes or so. Is it time to get a new one, or is it an electrical issue (I got the robocall from WMECO asking to set my AC to 78)

It's a window AC. Ten years old.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

A a northern chupacabra caterpillar may have gotten into the motor. Id check that first.

Hankster, Bryan Lord, Kitaman and 4 others like this.
  3. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

I was also going to recommend looking for caterpillars in the filters.

Buy a new one. We just went to Amazon and bought a Haier. So quiet.

4. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

That's not good, not good at all.

August_West likes this.
  5. temery

temery What?

It died just after I posted. Just got a new one at Home Depot. Smaller, lighter, quieter, more btu's, and cooled the room right down.

Should have done it in May when I posted about whether or not to replace. Problem is I'm a cheap sob. AC is the only real luxury I have.

6. August_West

I have a mix of older ones and new ones and its amazing how much lighter and more efficient they've gotten in 10 years

DaddyChoc and uconnell like this.
  7. Dream Jobbed 2.0

Dream Jobbed 2.0 Formerly DiacosArmy

Is it a carrier? That may be the problem

Dove, August_West and gampelcrazies like this.
  8. Kitaman

Kitaman

Can you post an image next time? It would save me 60 seconds to google this type of shite. I'm not that young and seconds count.

uconnell likes this.
  9. CL82

Yeah, that was a foregone conclusion once the chupacabra got in there. Those things are not good, not good at all.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Chin Diesel, August_West and temery like this.
  10. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Told you to get the ventless. Remember that when you're throwing this one in the dumpster three years from now.

11. CL82

larva stage:
    [​IMG]

Adult stage:
    [​IMG]

McHuski, Chin Diesel, Dove and 8 others like this.
  12. temery

temery What?

Ventless = Dehumidifier ?

13. Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Pond, to join the recently deceased, decade old box.

14. uconnell

uconnell

Our ac's are 7 and 12 years old maybe not too efficient but do the job. One only runs at night and the other during the day.
    Costs more to run our new dryer.

15. uconnfan68

uconnfan68

What type of dryer? Just curious. We have a new LG washer/dryer pair.

16. uconnell

uconnell

Amana It's my son he uses the wrong setting. I keep forgetting to show him the right one. I had a dryer for 24+ years. We bought it for $199.00 new. It's probably older I just don't remember exactly when. The top was very rusty and we only replaced a fuse and a heating element in the whole time we had it.

17. JMick

JMick

I have a kenmore washer/dryer unit in my apartment from 1998. The thing still purrs. My parents bought a new washer and dryer in 2010 and have had the washing machine replaced once under warranty and have had to replace the barrell in the dryer twice.

18. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

First, you're about two questions away from me calling Adult Protective Services and having you put into assisted living.

It's a ten-year old air conditioner....go get a new one.

August_West and HskysNvrSlp like this.
  19. Gringo

Gringo

When I was a kid my father had two giant window AC's from the 1970's that my brother and him would have to lug up the stairs each summer and back down the stairs in the fall. I'm not exaggerating when saying the AC's weighed over 100 pounds each. They were so heavy we had to use a hand cart to bring them up the stairs as we couldn't carry them all the way up. Every summer my mom would yell at my father to replace them with a new AC but my father would refuse as they functioned just fine. When my brother went to college I was 12 and was a small kid for my age weighting about 80 pounds. These damn AC's weighed more then I did, but I was next in line for helping my father bring them up and down the stairs from the basement.

That fall when we were retiring the AC's my job was to push the air conditioner back onto the hand cart as my father guided the cart down the stairs. Needless to say after going down one step I realized I didn't have the strength keep the AC on the hand cart and bailed on the job. It was a race to the bottom between me and the AC and if the AC won it meant I would probably be dead. Luckily I was barely able to beat the monster down the stairs. After my mom recovered from the shock of hearing the giant AC tumble down the stairs I thought she was going to kill my dad. Needless to say we had new AC's the following year.

Vancat, iri10, Dove and 5 others like this.
  20. Butch

Butch 27 national titles.

He already did.

You are getting old.

August_West and Dove like this.
  21. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

When I remember how I did it, I'm going to ban you from another thread.

22. chiller99.5

chiller99.5

Worse part is locating an appliance recycling center somewhere, even dumps nowadays are specialized

23. 8893

8893 Curiouser

No, an air conditioner--I meant ductless, not ventless, sorry. This:

[​IMG]

temery likes this.
  24. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

Mitsubishi makes a version that is brilliant.

25. August_West

Thread participation/handle

temery likes this.
  26. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Not sure which one is pictured there, but we have the Mitsubishi and yes it's one of the best purchases I've ever made in my life.

27. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U

Did you buy for the whole house or partial? Just curious, this might be a good thing for me to get.

28. 8893

8893 Curiouser

@Dogbreath2U , just partial.

Our house has "central" A/C upstairs only, and downstairs doesn't have the duct work for it. For the first few years we lived here it cooled the downstairs "okay" most of the time. But we also had a screen porch that was in bad repair and was essentially falling off the house within five years, so we ripped it off and replaced it with a 14 x 24 great room addition with a cathedral roof. It's surrounded by windows on three sides and has a french door to seal it off from the rest of the downstairs, and the thought was that it would be cool enough with all of the windows open and the ceiling fan cranking, as the upstairs A/C clearly wasn't going to be reaching it. A heatwave in June the following summer left me sweating in my recliner for several nights in a row and that's when I decided to get one of the Mitsubishi ductless for that room only. So the unit we have basically serves around 320 square feet with a cathedral ceiling and ceiling fan.

They do come in many different sizes for different applications, and you can also get ones that come with heat. We did not because we already had baseboard oil heat installed in the addition.

A friend of mine who has a beautifully restored antique house in the center of Guilford had them installed for her whole house. IIRC they recommended that she get three of them, and in retrospect she says she probably has one too many, but she lives there alone and is more tolerant of heat/humidity than I am.

I don't know what the market is for them now, but when we had ours installed around five years ago or so, we had to wait a couple months for an appointment because the installers were so busy that they were booked several weeks out. Also, the electrician was the most expensive part, and came in well over what the A/C company people had told me to expect. It has to do with how far the unit is from your panel, and the cost seems to increase exponentially at certain thresholds because the greater distance also requires them to use a higher grade of wiring to carry the electricity. Or at least that's what the electrician told me when my jaw hit the floor.

Dogbreath2U likes this.
  29. Kitaman

Kitaman

I have a large a/c window unit that came with the house when I purchased it.

Miraculously it still works fine.

Oh I brought the house 30 years ago.

David 76, CL82 and temery like this.
  30. temery

temery What?

How much does your electric bill jump in the summer?