Mulkey story coming? ** ITS HERE | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mulkey story coming? ** ITS HERE

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I am really curious what is in the piece. We already know she is a homophobe and can be vindictive to people she doesn't like. This isn't new news.

As to her complaining about not being given enough time to answer the questions... she would never have answered them anyway, as she already acknowledged she wasn't going to sit down for an interview, due to the "hit" piece on Brian Kelly. Here she goes, playing the victim again.

Also... you can be an amazing, supportive mentor to some players... but also a complete raging b***h to other players. Just because one thing is true doesn't negate the other. Look at Teri McKeever from Cal - one of the most successful female head coaches in women's collegiate swimming. She played favorites and was nice and supportive to the swimmers who did well for her... but was emotionally abusive to those who she did not care for.
Just guessing but two players were “suspended” for unknown reasons this year, one is gone forever and the other returned to flop around and act out to her heart’s content.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how there could be sanctions. NIL is so broad I cant imagine what would get one into trouble.
Tell that to Coach Meier from Miami. She was hit with a suspension for a couple games last season I recall for a NIL "violation" with respect to the Cavinder twins.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how there could be sanctions. NIL is so broad I cant imagine what would get one into trouble.
I think you are right that at the moment it is so broad. It might be just a little like crypto or AI where it is largely undefined now but you know regulations and boundaries are coming.

To be a little more specific, what can you tell a player you are recruiting? Can you give them wild unrealistic projections of their income potential? Come here and we can make you a millionaire, or guarantee several hundred thousand a year? Should it even be ok to reveal actual income figures from players who did receive that compensation, when that info could easily be considered private and confidential from the player's standpoint.

I don't know how the rules will all break out over time, but wildly overestimating and projecting on campus income is a tool that we can expect to be used by programs that are character challenged. It is too great a temptation. Promise a player from a modest financial background $100,000 more than your recruiting competitors, and you probably increase your chance of landing them substantially.

It is broad now, but I think a better term might be undefined. Some players are probably being told the truth, and others are being sold a bill of goods. Future rules and boundaries seem like a given IMO, just awaiting examples of misuse that is likely to come from some program in the future.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As to her complaining about not being given enough time to answer the questions... she would never have answered them anyway, as she already acknowledged she wasn't going to sit down for an interview, due to the "hit" piece on Brian Kelly. Here she goes, playing the victim again.
She did not respond to a request for an interview for two years. She then was upset for only being given 48 hours -- except she was given 2 years and 48 hours.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think you are right that at the moment it is so broad. It might be just a little like crypto or AI where it is largely undefined now but you know regulations and boundaries are coming.

To be a little more specific, what can you tell a player you are recruiting? Can you give them wild unrealistic projections of their income potential? Come here and we can make you a millionaire, or guarantee several hundred thousand a year? Should it even be ok to reveal actual income figures from players who did receive that compensation, when that info could easily be considered private and confidential from the player's standpoint.

I don't know how the rules will all break out over time, but wildly overestimating and projecting on campus income is a tool that we can expect to be used by programs that are character challenged. It is too great a temptation. Promise a player from a modest financial background $100,000 more than your recruiting competitors, and you probably increase your chance of landing them substantially.

It is broad now, but I think a better term might be undefined. Some players are probably being told the truth, and others are being sold a bill of goods. Future rules and boundaries seem like a given IMO, just awaiting examples of misuse that is likely to come from some program in the future.
You can tell recruits what they’ll get in NIL money in men’s hoops. My boss is the uncle (by marriage) of Travis Perry, who signed with Kentucky. Travis was promised $250,000 in NIL money each year that he’s at Kentucky. The NCAA can’t control or limit NIL so I assume schools do promise women’s recruits as well

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would venture to say speculation on a coach leaving for another job is pretty common in the basketball world and while unpleasant is expected. This sounds a lot more serious and way more controversial than a coaching change.
UConn fans have long gotten used to a controversy du jure concerning Geno in the postseason. The last big kerfuffle was the Geno/Muffet war of words, where the media dredged up some offhand bit of sarcasm Geno uttered during the season then asked Muffet to comment on it. That wasn’t the only time “Bad Boy” Geno got dragged before the tourney. I have to say, this stuff is more interesting from the sidelines but the timing is, to me, suspect. Women’s basketball doesn’t need to generate controversy for people to watch the sport any more

Reaction Score
UConn fans have long gotten used to a controversy du jure concerning Geno in the postseason. The last big kerfuffle was the Geno/Muffet war of words, where the media dredged up some offhand bit of sarcasm Geno uttered during the season then asked Muffet to comment on it. That wasn’t the only time “Bad Boy” Geno got dragged before the tourney. I have to say, this stuff is more interesting from the sidelines but the timing is, to me, suspect. Women’s basketball doesn’t need to generate controversy for people to watch the sport any more
Amen.

If this article provides information regarding substantive misdeeds related to basketball such as recruiting violations, bounties on opposing players, or even tampering, I would consider it to be timely.

If it is merely a socio-political hit regarding her beliefs and practices, then it should not be released during the tournament and I will boo the Post for doing so. What has this done to the "book" on the women's tournament? Any Post employees execs making money off this?

Reaction Score
Amen.

If this article provides information regarding substantive misdeeds related to basketball such as recruiting violations, bounties on opposing players, or even tampering, I would consider it to be timely.

If it is merely a socio-political hit regarding her beliefs and practices, then it should not be released during the tournament and I will boo the Post for doing so. What has this done to the "book" on the women's tournament? Any Post employees execs making money off this?

There is extra interest in WCBB (and MCBB) right now because of the tournament. Of course a newspaper would release it now! To expect otherwise seems ... odd.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
You can tell recruits what they’ll get in NIL money in men’s hoops. My boss is the uncle (by marriage) of Travis Perry, who signed with Kentucky. Travis was promised $250,000 in NIL money each year that he’s at Kentucky. The NCAA can’t control or limit NIL so I assume schools do promise women’s recruits as well
:eek:

REALLY? Holy mackerel...I still have 4 years of eligibility left. Is it too late for me to be a college athlete? I have to teach 7 years to earn that much!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes, in a Q and A after one of her radio shows, Adia mentioned that schools offer amounts. She said she was personally aware of some schools were the suggested money did not materialize for some football players, she didn't mention the school.

She offered no specifics as to NIL amounts, but reminded the fans that international players who are in the US on student visas can't earn NIL money (hence 2 of the Arizona players selling T-Shirts they had made up as part of an entrepreneurship thing) and a 3rd on "Go Fund Me" for donations to be sent to her parents whose house burned down. She also said that one of our players had a $500,000 NIL deal in place as a high schooler. Yikes, although apparently it had to do with her being a "social media influencer" which is a world I don't understand.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If the article was just about Mulkey’s political/social beliefs, I can’t imagine it being anything more than a big nothing burger. We all know where she stands on certain issues. I’m not saying I agree with her stances at all or that no one cares, but none of this is a secret and wouldn’t exactly be a “gotcha”.

Also I don’t think this is some kind of big conspiracy or anything like that. I’ve actually seen people suggest (elsewhere) that this article is an intentional hit piece so that South Carolina can win the NC. Lol. Be serious.

We all know that there has been behind the scenes drama at LSU, and there was probably behind the scenes drama at Baylor, and if you told me someone (a parent) was the person who tipped the whole article into motion, I would not be shocked.

Reaction Score
Yes, in a Q and A after one of her radio shows, Adia mentioned that schools offer amounts. She said she was personally aware of some schools were the suggested money did not materialize for some football players, she didn't mention the school.

She offered no specifics as to NIL amounts, but reminded the fans that international players who are in the US on student visas can't earn NIL money (hence 2 of the Arizona players selling T-Shirts they had made up as part of an entrepreneurship thing) and a 3rd on "Go Fund Me" for donations to be sent to her parents whose house burned down. She also said that one of our players had a $500,000 NIL deal in place as a high schooler. Yikes, although apparently it had to do with her being a "social media influencer" which is a world I don't understand.
Said player moved from Missouri to California before the start of her high school junior year because California was one of a few states at the time that allowed high schoolers to earn NIL income. Family received assistance navigating NIL rules to maintain eligibility from the school where she was committed at the time. Ended up at Arizona instead.

Reaction Score
Said player moved from Missouri to California before the start of her high school junior year because California was one of a few states at the time that allowed high schoolers to earn NIL income. Family received assistance navigating NIL rules to maintain eligibility from the school where she was committed at the time. Ended up at Arizona instead.
I assume said player is Williams. Calling her “said player” makes her seem like a villain. She’s a sweet kid who made a name for herself and dreamt of going to UCLA all through high school. She even made an unofficial announcement that she’d “chosen” UCLA, hoping to get an offer. And then they offered Kiki Rice and she realized her dream wasn’t going to work out. She ended up switching to Arizona in part because her best friend from high school (Cunningham) had already committed there. I’m glad to see that things are working out for her now and for Arizona. She’ll be great over the next few years. I think you can still find her high school videos online. She’s really charming in them. She has nothing to be ashamed of. Good kid.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you're referring to Jada Williams. I remember her being part of a group called "Certified Bucket Getters" when she was in high school. They had quite a few tagged with that moniker, including a couple Canadians (Day-Wilson & Lattimore). Don't see much of it now, but it obviously helped her with exposure.

Reaction Score
That is very interesting. If a coach gives realistic expectations for NIL income that isn't a big problem IMO. I imagine some NIL deals are fairly set in stone and known, but others are estimates of what they think will be offered. If that is the case, then whatever they tell a potential recruit is at best an estimate.

So if you are close to getting a big time recruit, the temptation is great to promise a couple of hundred thousand more than your competitors, and more than you actually think is realistic, if there is no punishment for doing so. At some point I think players will have a good legal case against coaches who knowingly over-promised NIL income way beyond realistic expectations, and the NCAA or someone else will have to step in and put some guardrails in.

The NIL deals are obviously very good for the athletes, and I hope I am wrong about this, but the current wild wild west landscape seems ripe for many abuses and while most may handle it appropriately I suspect some rotten apples will reveal themselves over the next few years. Anyway your info on Travis is quite interesting and sheds light on what some players are being offered.

Reaction Score
And by “tactics” you mean running a story exactly when interest in a subject is high and there will be a lot of readership?

My stars!
It would have been timely yesterday. The day before or day of LSU's game may cause insane fluctuations on the betting lines. So, I don't like the Post's "marketing tactics" if it is day before or day of.

Oh yeah, I don't like Mulkey but I'm gonna be pizzed if this turns out to be just an attack on her socio/political beliefs rather than coaching practices.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
It would have been timely yesterday. The day before or day of LSU's game may cause insane fluctuations on the betting lines. So, I don't like the Post's "marketing tactics" if it is day before or day of.

Oh yeah, I don't like Mulkey but I'm gonna be pizzed if this turns out to be just an attack on her socio/political beliefs rather than coaching practices.
u don't even know if it's an attack, and if it's negative it does not mean it's a 'hit piece.'

and it may never appear, in fact. hold your fire.

i wouldn't take her word on this. she's not objective, certainly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom