MSOC NCAA Run | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MSOC NCAA Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
SMU and Tulsa also won their first round games. With 3 wins in the first round and USF having a bye that puts 4 AAC teams in the final 32.

Reaction Score
SMU and Tulsa also won their first round games. With 3 wins in the first round and USF having a bye that puts 4 AAC teams in the final 32.

Initially at first glance, with a record of 13-2-4, I was surprised that SMU was not seeded in comparison to other seeded teams such as Ohio St (6 losses), USF (5 losses), Syracuse (5 losses); but, SMU thinks its in the XII of soccer as their non-conference schedule is lacking with wins against Sac St, Ill-Chicago and Houston Baptist matched-up against losses to BC, Stanford, and ties to Harvard and Portland.

Tulsa, with a so-so record of 8-6-6 does have non-conference games against St. Louis (loss), UVA (tie), UNC (loss), Portland (win), Creighton (loss), which is actually a tough schedule for anyone. not sure if they would have gotten in if they had not won the American championship; but, they tried.

USF has a decent non-conference schedule, too, with games against G-Town (win), ND (loss), Indiana (loss), Denver (loss)

Reaction Score
Millennials like soccer and the Courant, like all newspapers, is desperate for new subscribers.

The Courant has always given some coverage of UConn men's soccer. They were covering home games fairly regularly earlier in the season. I believe the Courant has been pretty consistent at covering the team at tournament time, especially home tournament games. I suspect that the Courant is also mindful of the following for UConn soccer, a team that for many years that has put up very good attendance figures.

Reaction Score
UConnMSOC1:59pm via Twitter Web Client
FINAL: IU 1, #UConn 0. The Huskies fight back but can't find the equalizer and conclude the 2015 season at 10-6-
CUcA6aoUYAA5sqv.jpg

Reaction Score
Winning in Bloomington is tough. Glad UConn stepped it up at the end of the season. Hopefully, this team will continue to grow and go even further next year.

PS - if Reid does retire one day soon, any idea who his successor will be?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Winning in Bloomington is tough. Glad UConn stepped it up at the end of the season. Hopefully, this team will continue to grow and go even further next year.

Jim Calhoun?

Reaction Score

It's a young team that certainly showed some growth and improvement over the last month. To go farther next season, the young players need to to continue their improvement, plus find another goal scorer to help support Thiam. Tyler Leeman and Istvan Kanyo will be gone, but everyone else from this team could be back, including several injured players.

Anyway, looks like Ray Reid expects big things from this team next season. Here's a Reid quote taken from the Jeff Jacobs column following the win over Boston University:

"Next year's group will be a special group here," Reid said. "We want to go out and recruit and win the thing next year. But these guys don't want it to end this year. Jake and Kwame understand the legacy of this place. They're going to be evaluated on basically what we do the rest of this year and how far we go next year. Can they make a run this year and make a Final Four next year?"

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Year 15 of not making a Final Four...

jho

Reaction Score

Would love to see Dan Donigan return to his alma mater!

Reaction Score
Just looked it up: Hard to beat UCSB when their stadium holds 17,000!
Great job at #2. At least we beat UCSB while morrone was watching in the pouring rain!

Reaction Score
Let's be #1 next year!!!

Of course, this is nothing new for UConn men's soccer, as they have been among the NCAA attendance leaders most of the time over the last 40 years or so.

Reaction Score
Of course, this is nothing new for UConn men's soccer, as they have been among the NCAA attendance leaders most of the time over the last 40 years or so.

I hear ya. I always knew they drew, but this is my 1st yr actually being part of it. Pumped for next year.

Reaction Score
I hear ya. I always knew they drew, but this is my 1st yr actually being part of it. Pumped for next year.

Actually, my post was more of a clarification of the UConn tweet that you posted, and certainly not making light of your post itself. UConn athletics publicizes just about every year where the men's soccer team ranks each year in terms of NCAA attendance, so it is hardly an unexpected tweet.

Reaction Score
Checked the bracket today as I haven't been paying much attention since UConn was out and I threw up in my mouth to see Syracuse and BC are playing with the winner going to the College Cup. So add one of them to UMass, Providence, and Georgetown as making a College Cup since the last time UConn made it.

Interesting that Syracuse has become National Championship level in all the fall sports all of a sudden after stinking it up for decades.

Reaction Score
Checked the bracket today as I haven't been paying much attention since UConn was out and I threw up in my mouth to see Syracuse and BC are playing with the winner going to the College Cup. So add one of them to UMass, Providence, and Georgetown as making a College Cup since the last time UConn made it.

Interesting that Syracuse has become National Championship level in all the fall sports all of a sudden after stinking it up for decades.

The final 8 - Wake Forest v Stanford, Creighton v Akron, BC v. Syracuse (agree that is hard to swallow, I remember catching BC soccer games in the late 90's when they used to play UConn at Natick HS and then moved to a field next to the law school that has no seats while Syracuse played in the Dome on the old 'please don't make me have to slide tackle' astro turf) and Maryland v. Clemson. Hoping for a non-ACC school to win it; but, with 4 of 8 teams, that's going to be tough.

Reaction Score

Syracuse has been real good in Field Hockey for several years. It is no real surprise to me that they would go off and win the national championship given all the battles that they gave UConn when they were in the Big East. Syracuse men's soccer is another matter entirely. Big East men's soccer had a bunch of real good teams over the years, and it seemed that Syracuse was not remotely one of them. Their sudden success in soccer over the last two or three years is really a marked turnaround for that program. A quality Syracuse men's soccer team may be the current reality, but it is something that is really hard to get used to considering that they pretty much hardly made any noise in the days when the Big East was a terrific men's soccer league.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has been real good in Field Hockey for several years. It is no real surprise to me that they would go off and win the national championship given all the battles that they gave UConn when they were in the Big East. Syracuse men's soccer is another matter entirely. Big East men's soccer had a bunch of real good teams over the years, and it seemed that Syracuse was not remotely one of them. Their sudden success in soccer over the last two or three years is really a marked turnaround for that program. A quality Syracuse men's soccer team may be the current reality, but it is something that is really hard to get used to considering that they pretty much hardly made any noise in the days when the Big East was a terrific men's soccer league.

Tough to remember and records are hard to come by; but, I remember Syracuse being decent in soccer in the late '80's and early 90's. Their downfall from what I remember was moving their game into the Carrier Dome and playing on fracking astro turf as no sane soccer player wants to do that. According to their website, the soccer stadium up on the hill was opened in 1996. So that was likely just part of the reason.

Reaction Score
Tough to remember and records are hard to come by; but, I remember Syracuse being decent in soccer in the late '80's and early 90's. Their downfall from what I remember was moving their game into the Carrier Dome and playing on fracking astro turf as no sane soccer player wants to do that. According to their website, the soccer stadium up on the hill was opened in 1996. So that was likely just part of the reason.

What luck! I found the Big East soccer records and year by year standings on the current Big East website. Included in this vat of information was how Big East teams did in the NCAA tournament each year of its existence. Anyway, I did a brief scan looking for Syracuse. Syracuse soccer was in the Big East from 1982 to 2012. In that time Syracuse made the NCAA tournament twice, in 1984 and 2012. Another interesting item is that from 2001 to 2012 the Big East never sent less than five teams to the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
What luck! I found the Big East soccer records and year by year standings on the current Big East website. Included in this vat of information was how Big East teams did in the NCAA tournament each year of its existence. Anyway, I did a brief scan looking for Syracuse. Syracuse soccer was in the Big East from 1982 to 2012. In that time Syracuse made the NCAA tournament twice, in 1984 and 2012. Another interesting item is that from 2001 to 2012 the Big East never sent less than five teams to the Big East tournament.

I meant to say that from 2001 to 2012 the Big East never sent less than five teams to the NCAA tournament, not the Big East tournament. Oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom