'MSN's Top 25 Teams of All Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

'MSN's Top 25 Teams of All Time

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have no issue with the 99 team being the highest rated “team” from UCONN. The 04 team had more talented, but at time we’re disconnected.

If you were to look up the defintion of “team” in a dictionary, 1999 UCONN Huskies would be there.

I believe 99 would expose the weaknesses of 04. However, if 04 played to their potential (Oaklahoma, G-Tech, Duke) 99 might fall short

I'll play.

What were the '04 team's weaknesses?

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
The 2006 team (which didn't reach the final four) was good enough to beat all our NC teams.
Define "good enough". Maybe on paper, but they were blown out by Marquette in the regular season, barely squeaked by Washington, and then got manhandled by George Mason. On the court (particularly in March, where it really matters), they were quite simply an inferior product.

Reaction Score
Define "good enough". Maybe on paper, but they were blown out by Marquette in the regular season, barely squeaked by Washington, and then got manhandled by George Mason. On the court (particularly in March, where it really matters), they were quite simply an inferior product.
Not to mention that they were down about 10 to 16th seeded Albany about half way through the 2nd half. I swear to this day that game took a couple years off my life.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The problem with ‘04 was their inconsistency earlier in the season. For ‘99, you’re looking at a team that lost only one game (by a single possession) with its full lineup intact.
...and defeated its common opponents with Duke by larger margins, fwiw.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I still think 99 team beats 04 in a very close game. I think moore would have shut down Gordon which would have really disrupted that team. I don't think anderson/d brown could have shut down rip. Okafor would have been the wild card. Don't know if 99 team could afford to double him like they did Elton.

Great analysis, but I love me some Gordon. Especially at that point, he was really at his peak as a player from the BET right into the NCAA.

If anyone could, it’s Ricky. That 04 team had some serious length, though.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I love that team. I believe that was our most dominant and most complete team ever. People probably look and see the 6 losses and hold that against the 2004 team. Two of those losses (Georgia Tech, Syracuse) were essentially without Okafor because of his back, and Charlie was not eligible yet for the Georgia Tech game either. When that team was at full strength and motivated, they were not going to lose to anybody, anywhere.

A career ending back injury, if I correctly remember what some alleged doctor was posting on this site back then. What a miracle that Oak could walk again, much less lead the way to a title!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They got incredibly hot but remember the team was 9-9 in conference and basically had to play everyday at the big east tournament

That team did not lose a single elimination game all year. 14-0.

They were 9-9 in the BE because BE refs let them commit assault and battery on Kemba night in night out. I miss the OBE.

Reaction Score
That team did not lose a single elimination game all year. 14-0.

They were 9-9 in the BE because BE refs let them commit assault and battery on Kemba night in night out. I miss the OBE.
Its extrodinary. Top 25 luckiest team of all time? Sure, but don't think they were one of the best

Reaction Score
The problem with ‘04 was their inconsistency earlier in the season. For ‘99, you’re looking at a team that lost only one game (by a single possession) with its full lineup intact.
Yup. Could you imagine what the 04` team that showed up in March could've done from day one? Maybe loses 1 or 2 games tops!
People forget just how close that `99 team came to being undefeated. An injury and a possession?

Reaction Score
99 was the toughest team ever. Got it from the toughest coach ever. 99 over 04, 79-77.

Reaction Score
There is no way the 2004 team beats the 99 team by 18. No way. Sorry.
99 finds a way to win just like they did in every game they were at full strength. Ricky slows down Gordon, Jake slows down Emeka, and Rip would be the best player on the floor just like he was in every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom