Movies that get better with age | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Movies that get better with age

Reaction Score
One that I like is "Syriana" . It takes several viewings and helps to have the DVD. One of George Clooney's better movies. Another is Michael Clayton. I think these will grow in stature as the years go by.

Agreed.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
"Midnight Run" was one we watched over and over in our dorm...

and "Blazing Saddles" a movie that can never be repeated...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Unforgiven came out a year earlier and is a much, much better western.

It's not a contest. Unforgiven was a much more serious movie where you knew what you were watching the first time too. I don't think many people watched Unforgiven the first time and thought "that was just OK". It's one of the best movies of all time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One that I like is "Syriana" . It takes several viewings and helps to have the DVD. One of George Clooney's better movies. Another is Michael Clayton. I think these will grow in stature as the years go by.

Both are good movies, both are a little preachy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I enjoyed both, but have to give the nod to Michael Clayton for the acting, tighter plot and character development . Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton were brilliant, and Clooney held his own. The last scene between Swinton and Clooney is simply fantastic.

A movie I love and nobody else seems to care much about is "Bandits". Billy Bob Thorton and Cate Blanchett were terrific. Willis was Willis. I so want Cate to come over and cook dinner for me after watching that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Leathal Weapon and LWII. ONE SCENE EXCEPTION: In the first one, when Roger is talking to the police psychologist on the bag cellular phone on the overpass.

Reaction Score
American Psycho: brilliant movie. Saw it when it first came out but I guess I didn't appreciate it. Also the scenes where he gets jealous his buddy's business cards are hilarious for some reason.

Mulholland Drive: what a mind slapper.

I finally watched Mulholland Drive last night. An amazing film visually and conceptually, just that things are not at all tied up with a neat bow in the end (putting it mildly)

Reaction Score
Whats funny about this thread, is that When I was in college my roommate and I basically had two movies. Heat and Tombstone, we could just about quote each movie word for word.

"I'm in my prime"

Still my go to line despite the fact that I am clearly no longer.

Reaction Score
Lone Star, City of God and Cinema Paradiso are three of the best movies ever made in my opinion and only get better with age and more viewings. For comedies Midnight Run is about as good as it gets, Grodin and De Niro have amazing chemistry. Naked Gun and My Cousin Vinny are classics and The Other Guys gets funnier on each viewing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Contact is another. Jodie Foster can be a little twitchy for me most of the time, but she was excellent in that movie.

Primal Fear is awesome too. I wish John Mahoney had done more movies in his prime, because he is a fantastic actor. Part of me wants to hate Richard Gere, but I like most of his movies. I just wish someone else was in them. I have the same response to a lot of Nicholas Cage's stuff, but unlike Cage, Gere isn't a bad actor. I just don't like him.

Reaction Score
Lone Star, City of God and Cinema Paradiso are three of the best movies ever made in my opinion and only get better with age and more viewings. For comedies Midnight Run is about as good as it gets, Grodin and De Niro have amazing chemistry. Naked Gun and My Cousin Vinny are classics and The Other Guys gets funnier on each viewing.

Lone Star is probably John Sayles best film, while Cinema Paradiso is just an absolute valentine to the allure of great old films and movie houses.

Contact is another. Jodie Foster can be a little twitchy for me most of the time, but she was excellent in that movie.

Primal Fear is awesome too. I wish John Mahoney had done more movies in his prime, because he is a fantastic actor. Part of me wants to hate Richard Gere, but I like most of his movies. I just wish someone else was in them. I have the same response to a lot of Nicholas Cage's stuff, but unlike Cage, Gere isn't a bad actor. I just don't like him.

Richard Gere does more good movies than I would ever expect. One of his to check out is Arbitrage, a terrific unusual thriller that is mostly lacking in chase scenes and gun play, two things that usually predominate in the thriller genre.

Reaction Score
Technically not a movie, but Band of Brothers. I watch it a couple times a year.
Band of Brothers is a big personal favorite. I watch a lot of movies, and I have been trying to revisit films which I really liked years ago. Many of my top favorites from the past are not as good as I remember; this is particularly true with comedies. Two of my favorites from the past: Ninotchka and To Be or Not to Be were not great films as I remembered them. They weren't bad; they were still quite good, but considering how much I liked them, not what I hoped.

So when I call a film great and even better than I remembered; you should take this as a serious recommendation. General Della Rovere
is that film. It is the last film in Rossellini's WWII trilogy. It's based on a true story of an Italian con man, a disgraced military officer, who
promised to help find and free relatives for money. He promises to help a man who has already been executed; the wife turns him over to
the Germans. The great director Vittorio de Sica plays the lead role. (I watched DiSica's The Bicycle Thief recently. This is a much more
critically favored film, but it doesn't hold a candle to General Della Rovere.) DiSica's performance as the fake De Rovere is easily one of
the half a dozen greatest performances I've seen on film.

Should anyone be interested; there is a 2013 DVD, a new digital transfer from the original negative, it is available from Amazon. It is considerably less expensive than similar films from Criterion, and I think it is of comparable quality, and has plenty of extras.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ride the High Country. Thematic background music makes this film special.
The music echoes the soul and life of the the film's hero.

Reaction Score
Band of Brothers is a big personal favorite. I watch a lot of movies, and I have been trying to revisit films which I really liked years ago. Many of my top favorites from the past are not as good as I remember; this is particularly true with comedies. Two of my favorites from the past: Ninotchka and To Be or Not to Be were not great films as I remembered them. They weren't bad; they were still quite good, but considering how much I liked them, not what I hoped.

So when I call a film great and even better than I remembered; you should take this as a serious recommendation. General Della Rovere
is that film. It is the last film in Rossellini's WWII trilogy. It's based on a true story of an Italian con man, a disgraced military officer, who
promised to help find and free relatives for money. He promises to help a man who has already been executed; the wife turns him over to
the Germans. The great director Vittorio de Sica plays the lead role. (I watched DiSica's The Bicycle Thief recently. This is a much more
critically favored film, but it doesn't hold a candle to General Della Rovere.) DiSica's performance as the fake De Rovere is easily one of
the half a dozen greatest performances I've seen on film.

Should anyone be interested; there is a 2013 DVD, a new digital transfer from the original negative, it is available from Amazon. It is considerably less expensive than similar films from Criterion, and I think it is of comparable quality, and has plenty of extras.

Same thing happened to me with Ninotchka which I just saw again recently. Garbo was annoyingly one-note stick-up-the-butt for half the movie. I was ready to stop watching but once she fell for the great Melvyn Douglas, she bloomed into actress amazing. Supporting cast of Russians was terrific, too.

Reaction Score
Same thing happened to me with Ninotchka which I just saw again recently. Garbo was annoyingly one-note stick-up-the-butt for half the movie. I was ready to stop watching but once she fell for the great Melvyn Douglas, she bloomed into actress amazing. Supporting cast of Russians was terrific, too.

I also saw Ninotchka for the first time recently. Not a great film but certainly entertaining. The movie features quite a bit of anti Soviet propaganda, most of which was quite funny. Overall, I thought the three Russian jewelry traders, led by Sig Ruman and Felix Bressart, were the best thing about the movie.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Unforgiven came out a year earlier and is a much, much better western.

Some of the most powerful dialog:

The Schofield Kid: [after killing a man for the first time] It don't seem real... how he ain't gonna never breathe again, ever... how he's dead. And the other one too. All on account of pulling a trigger.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

unforgiven.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It is amazing how well The Big Lebowski has aged.
The Big Lebowski is sort of a period piece. It was released in 1998, but set in 1990. Period pieces live up to the standards of time so much better than movies set in the future or in the all too over-used, "Current Day."

Reaction Score
Seven

Silence of the Lambs

Blade Runner

Apocalypse Now

Usual Suspects

The Boiler Room

Glen Gary Glen Ross

Chronicles of Riddick

The Road Warrior

Escape from NY

Predator

Die Hard

Sixth Sense

I can easily add to this list

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
B1GEast said:
Seven Silence of the Lambs Blade Runner Apocalypse Now Usual Suspects The Boiler Room Glen Gary Glen Ross Chronicles of Riddick The Road Warrior Escape from NY Predator Die Hard Sixth Sense I can easily add to this list
0yrNQoS.jpg

Reaction Score
As mentioned from the comedy side of it Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny was great and I could watch parts of that every day to laugh my butt off.

Weird Science always gets me too, Hall was a great character for his age.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom