Most Surprising Husky this Season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most Surprising Husky this Season?

Who is the most surprising Husky this season?

• Gabby

Votes: 51 22.1%
  • Lou

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Saniya

Votes: 90 39.0%
  • Kia

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Pheesa

Votes: 63 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
All of the starters. Gabby's ability to play anyone on defense, rebound and suddenly becoming the best passer on the team. Lou's ability to diversify her game and become a more complete offensive player while improving her defense. Pheesa's ability to score with such a wide assortment of shots, rebound, a remain a steady inside contributor. Saniya's ability to be a steadying influence on offense, not turning over the ball, and especially, consistently stay in front of her opponent on defense. Lastly Kia's ability to maintain her energy on defense and offense, shoot well while always taking the toughest guard or wing.

Reaction Score
I too picked Gabby--UC Miami said we saw glimpses of each of the last year--true. I also saw KLS start to emerge in game after game she became more and more of a force. Kia I expected her to take charge this year. Napheesa--saw her in the USA's a couple of years ago and she was (almost) what she is now--although she learned some new trick. Saniya I had greater hopes for her--kept awaiting her HS scoring to return--it almost has.
But Gabby--there are times in games --it becomes the Gabby show. I have posted Gabby is dead in the water against any one over 6 ft 2 inc--that's been proven false. She blocks, steals, scores (at will), rebounds against those 6 inch taller,
The point is Gabby does everything , for her size, she can't do --but she does them--and scores

She is everything you said, except she does not score at will. She is very good at driving to the basket, good in the post, and average at best hitting open shot at the high post. Scoring at will is what Lou and Pheese do as they have a variety of was to score.

Reaction Score
My first impulse was Saniya, then I went for Gabby because she is playing out of position and has at times taken over the defense with steals, rebounding, assists and blocks. Saniya came to UCONN as a prolific shooting guard needing only to assimilate the UCONN systems. That she took over three years to flower is certainly surprising. That she is doing so well, seemingly out of Geno's doghouse, is wonderful. But this year, this TEAM has collectively risen to so many occasions with timely stops and scoring that we are all in awe of their commitment, passion and skill. So kudos to this dedicated group where surprise remains an operative word until such time when their performances become expectation.

Reaction Score
Gabby's shooting is fine, she shooting 55% 2nd best on the teamHead bang:D

I guess since Shaq had a high FG% he had a good outside shot too. It did not matter for him because he was 7' 1" weighing 300 pounds going into the NBA and she is 5'11" at 170? Please look at what the point is, those critiques were regarding (A) what she needs to improve on to be a POY winner and (B) become really good at next level. Sorry she is averaging 11pts because of physical gifts, converting on steals, putbacks and drives. If they let her shoot as often as Pheese and especially Lou, she would not score as much as they do and her percentage would be lower. :p:p:p

Reaction Score
While all of them surprised me to some extent, Gabby is my choice as her growth as a basketball player is the most astounding to me. She was always exciting to watch due to her crazy hops but who would have bet that she'll lead the team in assists???

Reaction Score
Apparently....

And that is why Geno said in a practice the only thing he knows is if they pass it to Lou or down low to Pheese the ball is going in the basket, otherwise its an unknown. I watch the games, and many other posters have stated the same thing about her shot. I am sure she was aware of it because her coaches are honest with her. In fact, they needed to tell her to relax just like lastnight after she missed a few more free throws with that great shot...LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pheesa............................and it isn't close.

She has made the biggest jump in America as far as I'm concerned. From limited time as a freshman in mainly meaningless situations, to 1st Team AA caliber play in the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation, 7 months later.

Reaction Score
The first game of the season when geno told chong she was going to make the winning play in the huddle and she did to beat FSU. Then she hits the 3 to end Maryland's thoughts of an upset. She is definitely the biggest surprise so far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And that is why Geno said in a practice the only thing he knows is if they pass it to Lou or down low to Pheese the ball is going in the basket, otherwise its an unknown. I watch the games, and many other posters have stated the same thing about her shot. I am sure she was aware of it because her coaches are honest with her. In fact, they needed to tell her to relax just like lastnight after she missed a few more free throws with that great shot...LOL
If you are going to quote Geno please do so accurately since KLS was not a part of that Geno quote you just butchered.
Regarding Gabby Geno said:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess since Shaq had a high FG% he had a good outside shot too. It did not matter for him because he was 7' 1" weighing 300 pounds going into the NBA and she is 5'11" at 170? Please look at what the point is, those critiques were regarding (A) what she needs to improve on to be a POY winner and (B) become really good at next level. Sorry she is averaging 11pts because of physical gifts, converting on steals, putbacks and drives. If they let her shoot as often as Pheese and especially Lou, she would not score as much as they do and her percentage would be lower. :p:p:p
Shaq weighed more than 300 lbs.
Gabby's weigh is none of our business.
The discussion was not about POY winner it was about making an AA team.
"Sorry she is averaging 11pts because of physical gifts, converting on steals, putbacks and drives." - What is there to be sorry about?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Shaq weighed more than 300 lbs.
As info, Shaq was relatively lean when he entered the NBA, weighing in at around 250 lbs. He consciously added weight/muscle over his NBA career to help him deal with the physical pounding he faced every game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As info, Shaq was relatively lean when he entered the NBA, weighing in at around 250 lbs. He consciously added weight/muscle over his NBA career to help him deal with the physical pounding he faced every game.
He later regretted adding the weight when more sleek players like "The Dream" were schooling him and his own teammate (Kobe) though the offense should be run through him until Shaq was in better condition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Remember the old Nike commercial in the 90's with Michael Jordan and Spike Lee?...."It's gotta be the shoes"!! Thinking along those lines: It's gotta be the system,
Yes, the great Mars Blackmon. "Yo, Mony, it's gotta be the shoes"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think KLS's emergence as a super star is very surprising. She was a good outside shooter last year, and an adjunct to the Big Three. But this year she is far more productive, rebounding, scoring underneath, as well as hitting three's. I never thought she would emerge as a star as she has.
No surprise here, I had her pegged (at least thought she had the ability) to be one of the greats at UCONN. So far so good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pheesa and Gabby, I'm least surprised at since we saw it in miniature last season.
But what we didn't see in Gabby is the rock solid determination to do anything it takes to prevail.
And to accept responsibility for it.
I think we've seen that. From her determination at coming in as a guard and becoming a force in the post, to her FT shooting from FR year to SO year. And add in when Geno sat her in some big games early in her career, she blamed herself for not forcing herself into the rotation. I think we've definitely seen her rock solid determination. Not sure we all realized how far the determination would take her.

Reaction Score
She is everything you said, except she does not score at will. She is very good at driving to the basket, good in the post, and average at best hitting open shot at the high post. Scoring at will is what Lou and Pheese do as they have a variety of was to score.

I'll give you she is not a superior shooter beyond the foul line--thats a given. She's much better than she was.
Down low and driving to the basket she has rarely ever been stopped. And I'll give you Precious (the translation of her name) is a scoring machine, and rebounder---the base question for this thread--Which player surprised you the most this year---Napheesa (Precious) and KLS I saw their abilities (Napheesa) in the USA and KLS HS and Last year, Chong I had hopes for--but what she has done hasn't surprised me--I expected it from day one from HS.
I stated--On any given day--(given day)--Gabby can take over a game. A poster reminded me she took over the ND game.
We don't really disagree--different phraseology !!

Reaction Score
Pheesa........and it isn't close.

She has made the biggest jump in America as far as I'm concerned. From limited time as a freshman in mainly meaningless situations, to 1st Team AA caliber play in the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation, 7 months later.
If you had seen her in the USA's a couple of years ago--you'd know she was going to shine brightl

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you had seen her in the USA's a couple of years ago--you'd know she was going to shine brightl
Unfortunately, unlike many BY'ers, I did not see Pheesa play for USA BBall. Those who have do not appear to be all that surprised about her tremendous performance this season, which makes me wonder just how much of a setback her hip injury was during her freshmen season at Uconn. Pheesa was my choice as the biggest surprise this season, possibly because I was only familiar with the injured (undisclosed) Pheesa of last season.

Reaction Score
But that's because she's so effective underneath. What's her % from 10' and beyond?

Gabby has scored on smalls and bigs--she scored driving and within 15 feet and is fairly effective--has shot a three or two that went in--point is--she has 55 percent scoring average against good competition--does it really matter that she can't shoot the 3 as KLS does??
Her
Freshman and Soph years didn't impress me--she wasn't as effective against those over 6 ft 2in --but this year some how some way she does score.
KLS, Napheesa (Precious), Kia , Soniya, Gabby --have exceeded EVERYONE's expectations --by yards .

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, unlike many BY'ers, I did not see Pheesa play for USA BBall. Those who have do not appear to be all that surprised about her tremendous performance this season, which makes me wonder just how much of a setback her hip injury was during her freshmen season at Uconn. Pheesa was my choice as the biggest surprise this season, possibly because I was only familiar with the injured (undisclosed) Pheesa of last season.
I think the Frosh year way more of a rehab season--and Gene and medical--probably brought her along slowly--obviously Geno knew her talent too.

Reaction Score
OD, I was trying to compare the (8, I believe) additional chance MLB gave to Steve Howe, while some of us BYers prefer to dwell on the Stanford game. I prefer to point out that Saniya applied the dagger both succeeding years to Maryland with crucial threes, topping the 12/19/2016 contest with a great block. Maybe the killer three plus a killer block this year trumps the killer three last year. We are too history-minded and stats-minded to drink of the River Lethe on things like this, but maybe we can.....
\]

Mercer---such a good and prolific Lyricist he has a building at one of the Georgia Universities.
With Saniya---You gotta Accentuate the Positive--Eliminate the Negative--but don't mess with mister in between. And you have to ask: Who takes care of the Caretakers Daughter--while the Caretakers busy taking care??

Reaction Score
If you are going to quote Geno please do so accurately since KLS was not a part of that Geno quote you just butchered.
Regarding Gabby Geno said:

So before you act arrogant, it was during practice on the gym floor. Guess what, he spoke than once about the team.. When I get time I will post. I like the back forth discussions but please refrain from acting like your better than other people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom