Most Surprising Husky this Season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most Surprising Husky this Season?

Who is the most surprising Husky this season?

• Gabby

Votes: 51 22.1%
  • Lou

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Saniya

Votes: 90 39.0%
  • Kia

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Pheesa

Votes: 63 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
In retrospect, the loss cannot be entirely laid at Chong's feet. She was not out there on the court alone. In reference to Saniya's man, Geno referenced her man (Lili Thompson) had 30 points, actually it was 24. (www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore ). Amber Orrange had a large hand in helping Stanford defeat the Huskies. She made a go-ahead jumper with 1:38 left in overtime and the tying 3-pointer with 1.4 seconds remaining in regulation.

Auriemma: "We didn't just lose to a team that doesn't have any good players," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Sometimes, because of who we are, the biggest story is that we lost, not that Stanford played great and won, and that would be unfortunate. That would be a disservice to Stanford, but that's the reality, that's the world that we're in. ... We lost to a really good team, a better team than people would probably give them credit for."

Orrange's basket in overtime made it 85-84, and then Stanford's smothering defense took over. The Cardinal forced UConn into several poor shots and a 5-second violation, and prevented the Huskies from getting off a final attempt. Orrange also came up big at the end of regulation to force the extra session, hitting her 3-pointer from the wing to tie it. If she misses that shot, UConn wins.

"I was surprisingly calm when I took the shot," Orrange said. "I really loved how resilient our team was at the beginning of the game." UConn looked out of sorts for much of the night at Maples Pavilion in a rematch of last season's NCAA semifinals -- and it didn't help that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis never got going. Mosqueda-Lewis, coming off a 30-point, 10 3-pointer outing in the opener Friday night at UC Davis, struggled all night to find her shot.

The Cardinal hung tough on both ends of the floor in the first half and swarmed Mosqueda-Lewis, regularly getting a hand in her face. She went without a field goal until she made a 3-pointer with 9:40 left in the game, having a tough time getting open looks facing swarming defense by Karlie Samuelson. Stewart said "It seemed like there was a lot of disconnect on the court. It's up and down, our chemistry." It didn't help that Tuck and Nurse fouled out of this game, and Stokes had to grow alligator arms at the end, (which in affect lessened her aggressiveness) as she had 4 fouls herself.

I attended this game, and agree with these assessments. UConn was not ready to play that night. They had just come off a 59 point win over UC Davis 3 days before, and were still basking in the after glow of that blow out win. Standford head coach Tara VanDerveer had her team ready to play that night. They attacked UConn from tip to buzzer without any let up. They (the team) appeared to be in a zone. It seemed like everything they put up, went in. Stanford's resolve became more intense as the game progressed. Stanford shot 49.2 % from the floor and 50% (7/14) from beyond the arc. UConn shot 40.6 % from the floor and only 36.7% (11-30) from beyond the arc. Chong's name is often associated with that loss, but it was truly a group effort.
Good recall (as always) Carnac. Of course, had Kiah Stokes not taken that long jumper from the left side with nearly all the time left on the play clock, UConn would have won in regulation. I'm sure to this day Geno doesn't know what she was thinking.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I voted for Lou, however i think Geno should have been an option ( and i dont think he is "other").
Geno has taken a team where he had to make 5-6-7 players step up their games, and each of them has. It is very hard to get one or two to excel better than the previous season, yet every starter, this season, and the first two off the bench have shown it. I still think Bent and Irwin are works in progress.
WBB, and UConn, are blessed to have him and his staff together.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Voted other.

Kia's defense was a given. Wasn't sure she could get out of the mental funk on offense. In fact the beginning of this season was a continuation of last season. Her ability to knock down the three is probably one of the factors if not the most important factor that allows KLS to maintain her high scoring numbers.

Saniya's injuries last season really held her back. We had no way of knowing what senior Saniya would accomplish. Huge improvement on defense and it's great to see her not hesitate on offense. She's the player I most wanted to see have this type of season.

Naphessa did not show enough last season to predict the monster player she is this year. The combo of Naphessa and Gabby are just too much for most other teams to handle.

So those three are the reason I chose other.

I considered including KLS because her defense has improved. But I saw a lot of improvement last season to not be overly surprised. Her offense, as incredible as it is, does not surprise me at all.

Least surprised about Gabby.

Hate the term core four. Saniya has received the most votes and she's played on par with the other four to merit people thinking about core five. There is a significant reduction in play when any of these five are not in the line up. The streak would have ended at Maryland without Saniya's fourth quarter. This senior has stepped up.

Reaction Score
Gabby because you turned a 5'11" high school shooting guard into one of the best centers in college basketball. Gabby had to relearn everything, mostly playing offense with her back to the basket. Simply amazing!
I too picked Gabby--UC Miami said we saw glimpses of each of the last year--true. I also saw KLS start to emerge in game after game she became more and more of a force. Kia I expected her to take charge this year. Napheesa--saw her in the USA's a couple of years ago and she was (almost) what she is now--although she learned some new trick. Saniya I had greater hopes for her--kept awaiting her HS scoring to return--it almost has.
But Gabby--there are times in games --it becomes the Gabby show. I have posted Gabby is dead in the water against any one over 6 ft 2 inc--that's been proven false. She blocks, steals, scores (at will), rebounds against those 6 inch taller,
The point is Gabby does everything , for her size, she can't do --but she does them--and scores

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
upload_2017-1-18_17-32-33.png
Saniya and Stanford. Stanford and Saniya. Sheeeeesh! Even poor Yankee pitcher Steve Howe got a few do-overs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
View attachment 18811 Saniya and Stanford. Stanford and Saniya. Sheeeeesh! Even poor Yankee pitcher Steve Howe got a few do-overs.
OB, I love the attachment, but I'm not sure about the Steve Howe comparison. Saniya appears to be a wonderful young lady who will undoubtedly be successful in life. Steve Howe was a talented but tragically flawed individual, whose career in the Show was cut short by drug use. He ended his playing days with the Sioux Falls Canaries of the independent Northern League. Howe's life also ended prematurely in a car accident while driving under the influence of drugs. Sad story.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This one was difficult. All have stepped up their game big time.

I voted for Gabby. I knew she would be a starter and contribute but I never thought she would dominate taller post players. Her defense is scary - I say that in a very positive way. But what got me was her assists and steals. She has a sense for the ball and how a play is developing. Her passing is on the money and she and Pheesa have developed a great on court relationship - and its deadly for the opposition!. Plus she has that mid-range jump shot that makes her dangerous when she is at the foul line area. She's averaging double figures in scoring. We are running a good high-low offense and Gabby is a very big reason why.

Reaction Score
I voted Lou but I think it is a tie between her and Pheesa.
Lou surprises me with her toughness and her ability to penetrate to the basket or open spaces. She is proof that UConn takes great prospects and makes them great players like no other school.

Pheesa surprises me with her ability to score inside and rebound. She really works hard to get good position.

Nothing Gabby does really surprises me. She is an amazing athlete, with a high basketball IQ and a relentless attitude towards dominating all facets. I don't think we'll see the full Gabby until she turns pro.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I didn't vote
Read the thread...agree with everyone.
Most surprising for me is the collective Husky's

We all expected one or another to step up...I kept on remembering Pheesa destroying Texas.
We all knew Katie Lou could shoot; even if last year she was clanging all over the place at times.
One recalled that amazing steal and duet with Mo that Gabby pulled off against Miss. State
And that Saniya was a big scorer in HS as Geno is wont to say.

Sure didn't look like much...not much hight, where was the help D coming from...and all the points that the big 3 put up.

So What do we have with February just around the corner?

Geno unceasingly ragging KLS to become a Stewie clone and by god, succeeding. The flowers and fragrance of Souther Cal. are wafting away and a cold-eyed Big-East-style killer is emerging.
Who would have thunk it?
She must still have a lot of upside if Geno is still on her so relentlessly.

Pheesa and Gabby, I'm least surprised at since we saw it in miniature last season.
But what we didn't see in Gabby is the rock solid determination to do anything it takes to prevail.
And to accept responsibility for it.

And Saniya...having failed to reach her for 3 years, Geno finally figured it out or maybe they both did....She was broken, gone...the rare UConn coaching failure..Now she's back, playing well is becoming routine. A good sign: Geno ragging her in public...lazy, he called her. Expect her to get better yet.

So whom do I pick.

The man, Geno Auriemma and his trusty band. We're watching a coaching alchemist.
Win or lose in March and April, this season is by far his greatest feat.
He's my pick.

One more thing. The switching D (effort and desire Geno says) is the best I've ever seen.
Smooth as silk....Coaching again.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
OB, I love the attachment, but I'm not sure about the Steve Howe comparison. Saniya appears to be a wonderful young lady who will undoubtedly be successful in life. Steve Howe was a talented but tragically flawed individual, whose career in the Show was cut short by drug use. He ended his playing days with the Sioux Falls Canaries of the independent Northern League. Howe's life also ended prematurely in a car accident while driving under the influence of drugs. Sad story.
OD, I was trying to compare the (8, I believe) additional chance MLB gave to Steve Howe, while some of us BYers prefer to dwell on the Stanford game. I prefer to point out that Saniya applied the dagger both succeeding years to Maryland with crucial threes, topping the 12/19/2016 contest with a great block. Maybe the killer three plus a killer block this year trumps the killer three last year. We are too history-minded and stats-minded to drink of the River Lethe on things like this, but maybe we can...............

Reaction Score
I chose Gabby by a slight margin over Saniya. My reasons are these:

We all knew that Gabby was a really good defender. What is surprising to me is that she is a really great defender who can guard players 1 through 5 and should be Defensive Player of the Year.

She has surprised me on offense with her assists from the high post, decision making and scoring (although not a big scorer).

We all knew the potential this young lady had but she far exceeded it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I chose Napheesa. I'm not surprised at her stellar play or rebounding, but 19 ppg has been a very pleasant surprise. I expected maybe 12-14. I thought she could be an AA by her 3rd or 4th season; I think she makes it this year.

My second choice is Gabby. I knew she was on a steep trajectory, but she has become a very disruptive defender and an excellent passer. Her assists are well beyond my expectations. She takes over games.

Lou becoming a superstar and the go-to scorer has come a little earlier and reached a little higher level than I expected, but I knew she had greatness in her. Last year, I projected her career scoring to be very close to Kaleena's total and possibly at Tina's level. She may even challenge Stewie.

I'm not surprised at Saniya. She has pleasantly exceeded my expectations, but we had seen glimpses of her outstanding scoring ability in the past. We are now seeing it more often. Her defense and A/TO ratio have been pleasant surprises. The primary question for me was her health.

Reaction Score
My vote has to go to Phee. Saniya has made great strides over the past few games but that can't (or at least shouldn't) over take Phee's season to date contributions.

By the way oldude, very good breakdown and recap for each player.

Reaction Score
So was Diamond Deshields.....

Yea but so was Mercedes Russell or was it Diamond DeShields?
Are you guys saying those players don't have talent? I think they do and wouldn't be surprised if they were doing something extraordinary too, just like Lou. The difference being one receives world class coaching wringing out every last drop of potential, while the others might as well not have any coaching at all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you guys saying those players don't have talent? I think they do and wouldn't be surprised if they were doing something extraordinary too, just like Lou. The difference being one receives world class coaching wringing out every last drop of potential, while the others might as well not have any coaching at all.
No. I'm saying not every player ranked #1 turns into a word you used to describe KLS and claimed not to be surprised. Do you remember what word you used? The word was not "talented" or even "extraordinary", which I would not have questioned.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe the word that CocoHusky is trolling for is "Superstar"

Reaction Score
I voted Chong though I almost voted "other" similar to ucmiami and anyone else that would have picked "the team."

I thought this year's team was an E8 team and then depending on Matchups they could win it all. I thought there would be a weakness or two that other team's could exploit - either through great perimeter/wing defense or great size. I never thought thought we'd be undefeated at this point. I did think we had a potential championship team, so I thought it possible the best 4 in combination could be terrific. I've always thought over the years that size gets overrated. Plus I thought Danger could be a huge impact. I heard both Gabby and Collier were going to surprise with their 3's to start the season so of course I held onto some belief our offense would be awesome if that were true. SO I can't sya I'm surprised with their offense. And while Gaby hasn't with her perimeter game as much, but Gabby's defense has. So that is a wash - in which Gabby is a better than I thought but so are Lou and Collier. I had confidence that Collier was a stud as was Lou. OFC not this awesome but still I thought they'd be real good. And I think Kia has been real good. The Texas game she was huge. Texas could have had us on the ropes. Kia's outside shot and decisions with the ball (2 to 1 assists to to ratio) and her presence is just so darn solid.

But Saniya's brilliance vs FSU -- this is why we're number and have the record. And unlike Danger just having the one big game vs a tough opponent. But was also huge vs Md. Two of the 3 games we were challenged most, in one game she was unreal late and the other she was terrific, terrific at Md. I can watch her play now and feel an incredible comfort level and when we play again vs tough teams, I expect her to compete well. With her injury from last year and just how she has played other years, I wasn't sure to what extent she could contribute other than "she won't hurt us." Not any more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe the word that CocoHusky is trolling for is "Superstar"
What I wrote still applies. Diamond was hyped as the next greatest thing in WCBB when she first was breaking into the sport. Then injuries, a transfer, poor coaching, and perhaps a less than coachable attitude. That's the blueprint for how a potential superstar never gets there. But would I have been surprised if Diamond became a superstar? Nope. Does every #1 make superstar status? Nope, but it never ever surprises me when a #1 does, or really any of the top rated recruits in that talented 1-5 range. That was really my point. I voted Saniya because surprising to me is a player that didn't have the hype nor signs of doing what they are now doing. To me that is Saniya whose career has been marked by injuries, lack of focus, and inconsistent play, but to her credit she has put her mind to it this season and is doing things she hasn't done since she's been at UConn.

Reaction Score
Didn't know how I'd vote, so I first read all the above. Coco convinced me. I always thought Pheesa would be good (last spring, I posted that she would start every game her final 3 years, and I actually got blow-back to that prediction), but I never thought she'd be this good. Right now, she's also the best pro prospect on the team (unless or until Lou learns how to rebound).

Now I know why someone called you out on the rebounding comments on Lou.... I won't give you any slack because I get the same when I say Gabby needs to improve her shooting : - ) Pheese has surprised me and I wonder how much other non-UConn fans realize how much she actually dominates (both sides of ) the game. She got my vote on this survey.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I won't give you any slack because I get the same when I say Gabby needs to improve her shooting : - ) P
Gabby's shooting is fine, she shooting 55% 2nd best on the teamHead bang:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom