Moriah Is A Candidate For The Lieberman Award | The Boneyard

Moriah Is A Candidate For The Lieberman Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
JEFFERSON AMONG 10 CANDIDATES FOR LIEBERMAN AWARD
Jefferson averages 13.5 points and 5.6 assists per contest
Feb. 8, 2016

Senior point guard Moriah Jefferson (Glenn Heights, Texas) has been named as one of 10 candidates for the 2016 Nancy Lieberman Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced on Monday. Candidates exhibit the floor leadership, play-making abilities and ball-handling skills of Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman.

Since its inception in 2000, four Huskies have taken home the award a total of seven times. UConn point guards earned the honors in the first five consecutive years of its existence, with Sue Bird earning the award its first three years (2000-2002) and Diana Taurasi receiving the accolades in the subsequent two years after Bird (2003, 2004). Renee Montgomery nabbed the honor in 2009 and Jefferson was the last Husky to net the award in 2015.

The Selection Committee for the Nancy Lieberman Award is composed of top women's college basketball personnel including media members, head coaches, sports information directors and Hall of Famers. The list will be narrowed down to five finalists in early March. The Lieberman Award winner will be announced during the WBCA Award Show in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Women's Final Four.

[LINK]

[PAST WINNERS]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The complete list of 10 nominees are:
Kelsey Minato - Army
Niya Johnson - Baylor
Moriah Jefferson - Connecticut
Jessica January - DePaul
April Robinson - Duquesne
Brene Moseley - Maryland
Lindsay Allen - Notre Dame
Kelsey Mitchell - Ohio State
Jasmine Nwajel - Wagner
Kelsey Plum - Washington

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Suspect the list will get narrowed down to these 5 in March.
Niya Johnson - Baylor
Kelsey Plum - Washington

Moriah should win!

Reaction Score
Niya Johnson - Baylor
Kelsey Plum - Washington

Moriah should win!

I'll be surprised if Minato doesn't win it. She's had a ton of good press lately and for good reason. I'm a Moriah fan but she's got some decent competition for this this time around.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Minato - Great bball stats and on her way to being a fine officer in the US Army. Lieberman, I don't think so. You have to consider the competition. Imagine what Jefferson's numbers would be on a mid major team with a "supporting cast."

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think the title of the thread should be changed to read...Moriah Jefferson is THE candidate for the Lieberman Award

Absolutely and after this game she could possibly have a career in the UFC :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if Minato doesn't win it. She's had a ton of good press lately and for good reason. I'm a Moriah fan but she's got some decent competition for this this time around.
Love Minato said so in the Post My favorite player not on my favorite team. Mo had more competition for the award last year including Samantha Logic & Rachael Theriot.

Reaction Score
Minato - Great bball stats and on her way to being a fine officer in the US Army. Lieberman, I don't think so. You have to consider the competition. Imagine what Jefferson's numbers would be on a mid major team with a "supporting cast."
Moriah is on a mid-major team with a pretty good supporting cast.

HGN

Reaction Score
Niya Johnson - Baylor
Kelsey Plum - Washington

Moriah should win!
CoCo, I agree with your FF (Final Five) . But its going to be tough , tough going to select a winner..........All your FF are good and deserved. I think its going to boil down to which one has the better NCAA Tournament run. And maybe even which one takes their team the farthest in the Tournament. Which I too think it should be MORIAH.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CoCo, I agree with your FF (Final Five) . But its going to be tough , tough going to select a winner.....All your FF are good and deserved. I think its going to boil down to which one has the better NCAA Tournament run. And maybe even which one takes their team the farthest in the Tournament. Which I too think it should be MORIAH.
Tournament play does not factor into any of the post season awards including this one. Which makes sense because what happens if you are playing on a team putting up great numbers and your team does not make the tournament. Minato and Army for example might not make the tournament this year.
Pretty sure Moriah locked this award up last night as Gus said.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Jefferson will win and rightfully so. I wish someone kept plus/minus stats for wcbb. I bet Lindsay Allen's would be rather dramatic.

HGN

Reaction Score
Tournament play does not factor into any of the post season awards including this one. Which makes sense because what happens if you are playing on a team putting up great numbers and your team does not make the tournament. Minato and Army for example might not make the tournament this year.
Pretty sure Moriah locked this award up last night as Gus said.
When is the winner announced ??

Reaction Score
If you look at what IMO are the top 6....MO, Plum, Mitchell, Minato, Johnson and Allen. Rate them 1 to 6 on scoring average, assists, turnovers and steals you will find that Mo completely separates herself from the rest of them...not even close. Statistically she should win. If the voters have an agenda, who knows. IMO, If she doesn't win it would be a shock.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is a consensus developing--and not just on the Boneyard--that Moriah is the second best player in the country. She won last year. She'll win again. Look at her defensive devastation. She simply demoralizes the opposition.

Reaction Score
JEFFERSON TABBED AS FINALIST FOR LIEBERMAN AWARD
March 14, 2016

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - University of Connecticut senior point guard Moriah Jefferson (Glenn Heights, Texas) has been selected as one of five finalists for the 2016 Nancy Lieberman Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced on Monday. Candidates exhibit the floor leadership, play-making abilities and ball-handling skills of Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman.

MORE...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is there anyone out there that doesn't believe Mo is the best point guard in America? If not, what else does she have to do to prove it?

Cricket cricket cricket.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
JEFFERSON TABBED AS FINALIST FOR LIEBERMAN AWARD
March 14, 2016

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - University of Connecticut senior point guard Moriah Jefferson (Glenn Heights, Texas) has been selected as one of five finalists for the 2016 Nancy Lieberman Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced on Monday. Candidates exhibit the floor leadership, play-making abilities and ball-handling skills of Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman.

MORE...

Moriah Jefferson has nearly redefined the PG position in WCBB. She has far exceeded the coaching staff's expectations of her once she committed. If Stewie is the straw that stirs the drink, Mo's doing the pouring. To illustrate how talented Mo is, I challenge anyone to find a coach in WCBB that would not like to have Moriah on their team.

She can do it all.....distribute, score, defend, rebound; and be that extra coach on the floor. Rarely does she turn the ball over, or make bad decisions with the ball. Traits that your consummate PG must have.

With her talent, experience and leadership skills in tow, Jefferson would instantly make any team better. It's because of this unique skill-set, that she will be highly coveted at the next level. She's been said by more than one TV announcer/color analyst) that she is "the quickest guard in the country".

Jefferson will leave a lasting impression on the UConn program, as well as WCBB. She will be a welcome addition to whatever WNBA team drafts her. We all have a favorite player on the team, Mo is mine.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting - Brene Moseley isn't a starter on her team (1 start all year) - really nice assists and TO numbers and is the clear team leader there, but comes off the bench for 22.6 minutes a game.
And
Kelsey Mitchell isn't the team leader in assists and only has a few more assists than turnovers - great scoring guard and gets a lot of assists but Alston seems more of the floor general to me.

Always surprises me who ends up as finalists for: floor leadership, play-making abilities and ball-handling skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom