More hockey realignment? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

More hockey realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I do not see collegiate hockey having a broad national TV audience, I can see it maybe making a difference in CR when conference networks like the BTN are involved and need content.

I can not imagine why Cuse would not have a hockey program, given their geographics...how does their club team do?

Reaction Score
Even weirder than Cuse not having D1 hockey is Buffalo not having it, since UB is located right inside an actual hockey hotbed. Unlike Cuse.

Reaction Score
Even weirder than Cuse not having D1 hockey is Buffalo not having it, since UB is located right inside an actual hockey hotbed. Unlike Cuse.

Part of the reason that U Buffalo does not have a hockey team and is not stronger in other sports (no reason any upstate NY team shoudl not have Lax) is the fact that the school only made the jump from DII/III to DI in the mid 1990's, That cost a lot of money and I suspect that there was simply not enough to go around at the time.

U Buffalo Football: D 1: x- 1970, No program: 1970 - 1977, D III 1977 - 1992, D I-AA 1993 - 1998, D I: 1999 - current.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason that U Buffalo does not have a hockey team and is not stronger in other sports (no reason any upstate NY team shoudl not have Lax) is the fact that the school only made the jump from DII/III to DI in the mid 1990's, That cost a lot of money and I suspect that there was simply not enough to go around at the time.

U Buffalo Football: D 1: x- 1970, No program: 1970 - 1977, D III 1977 - 1992, D I-AA 1993 - 1998, D I: 1999 - current.

Not sure that has anything to do with it since there are a lot of schools in D1 hockey that no one really ever heard of. Mercyhurst? Findlay?

Reaction Score
Findlay's gone. Northern Arizona used to have a D1 team.

Reaction Score
Well, I can't even keep up. The point is, it wouldn't take much for UB. Heck, Terry Pegula offered use of the 4k rink he just built. And the Sabres are now leaving the big rink (1k) across the street from UB where the Sabres used to practice.

Reaction Score
The Arkansas Ice Hogs and the Alabama Frozen Tide are going Div. I.....who'da thunk it?

Reaction Score
Uh oh. SEC hockey is gonna be big. Can't wait. The SEC should bring in UAH as a hockey only member. It'll be the oldest D1 hockey program in the SEC. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
2 Hockey East teams, BU and PC, in the championship game. I've just been informed that UCONN will have 15 games at the XL. 8 of the 11 conference foes have reached the Frozen Four in the past 12 years. Feels good to be in a top conference!

Reaction Score
2 Hockey East teams, BU and PC, in the championship game. I've just been informed that UCONN will have 15 games at the XL. 8 of the 11 conference foes have reached the Frozen Four in the past 12 years. Feels good to be in a top conference!

Many of those games will sell out, assuming they put up the curtains.

Reaction Score
50/50 chance that it's this, or ASU/UND to B1G, ND to NCHC, QU to HE. Trading ND for QU would be a-OK with me.

I really don't see much chance in ND leaving Hockey East.

It is a nice set up with 24 of its other sports in an East Coast oriented league like the ACC .

The same with Hockey East, especially with ND having its own home game contract with NBC Sports in addition to coverage/exposure with the Hockey East TV deal.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...2-notre-dame-fighting-irish-hockey-games-year

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/media/tv.php

Reaction Score
I really don't see much chance in ND leaving Hockey East.

It is a nice set up with 24 of its other sports in an East Coast oriented league like the ACC .

The same with Hockey East, especially with ND having its own home game contract with NBC Sports in addition to coverage/exposure with the Hockey East TV deal.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...2-notre-dame-fighting-irish-hockey-games-year

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/media/tv.php

The ND institution is not easy to like. Neither are most ND fans.

I find that to be true about You. Why is that?

Reaction Score
I don't know. I am a friendly, likable guy. Maybe you are a bad judge of character or you let your institutional bias spill over? :)

I posted my opinion that ND will not leave Hockey East and gave my reasons for that opinion.

If any of that was offensive on its face, point out why and I will go back and edit it.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I am a friendly, likable guy. Maybe you are a bad judge of character or you let your institutional bias spill over? :)

I posted my opinion that ND will not leave Hockey East and gave my reasons for that opinion.

If any of that was offensive on its face, point out why and I will go back and edit it.
Wasn't offensive. ND's own paper quoted ND's own coach as not being happy with the HE set up. Numerous HE writers then wrote they'd been hearing rumblings of unrest on both sides about ND's setup in HE. It's really just not a fit for both sides.

Reaction Score
Wasn't offensive. ND's own paper quoted ND's own coach as not being happy with the HE set up. Numerous HE writers then wrote they'd been hearing rumblings of unrest on both sides about ND's setup in HE. It's really just not a fit for both sides.

But coaches gripe all of the time. Conference affiliation is beyond the coach's pay grade. IF you hear Jack Swarbrick gripe, then this rumor would have some traction. Jeff Jackson is irrelevant to this and he will soon be gone and replaced by another coach.

Swarbrick didn't work to set up this deal to mirror image the ACC one (East Coast) to just pull out two years later (in my opinion).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Notre Dame didn't plan to move the hockey team east - the CCHA disintegrated around them when the Big Ten decided to form a new conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame didn't plan to move the hockey team east - the CCHA disintegrated around them when the Big Ten decided to form a new conference.

While the irony bucket isn't full, it's not completely empty either.

Reaction Score

But they chose to move east to Hockey East than any other (more Midwest oriented) hockey conference.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
But they chose to move east to Hockey East than any other (more Midwest oriented) hockey conference.

Of course they did. Doesn't mean it was the best choice.

Reaction Score
Of course they did. Doesn't mean it was the best choice.

And just as obviously, it did not mean that it was not the best choice. It matches their ACC move perfectly.

Reaction Score
Only in Hockey - unlike in Football (or even Mens/Womens Basketball), the Hockey East power structure won't kiss your ring. You are just the Western outpost. And, I think the first few times around the league, many don't see your imperial nature to add much to ticket sales or TV dollars.

Reaction Score
I think what Notre Dame is finding, in Hockey East, is that this East Coast move doesn't bring them the same breadth of markets that the ACC or the Old Big East or Old New Big East had and so "East Coast access" is not as bountiful.

To wit, 6 of the 11 other HEA teams are sandwiched in the Boston media market (BC, BU, UNH, UML, Northeastern and Merrimack), and the only other potential needle-movers are Hartford-New Haven and Providence. Burlington, Springfield and Bangor aren't much to speak of. No access to NY, Philly or DC. Of course, you won't find home teams in those markets in hockey anyway.

By contrast: Boston, Providence, Hartford-New Haven, New York, Syracuse, Philadelphia, DC, Pittsburgh, Miami in the OBE; subtract Boston and Miami but add Cincy, Louisville, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Tampa for the ONBE; the ACC gives Boston, Syracuse, some New York, Pittsburgh, DC, Louisville, Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, Miami, and presence in Charlotte, Richmond, Norfolk, Orlando and Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom