Montel Harris(BCU RB) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Montel Harris(BCU RB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First, let me say that I think McCombs did a hell of job last year and played some very gutsy football.

But, the next time he breaks a tackle will be his first. And after him we at best have untested guys. MH did not look good to me during the spring game and I just did not see enough of MD or Williams to form an impression.

Frankly, why we have struggled bringing in higher profile recruits at RB is a bit of a mystery to me given the backs that have been through the program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
First, let me say that I think McCombs did a hell of job last year and played some very gutsy football.

But, the next time he breaks a tackle will be his first. And after him we at best have untested guys. MH did not look good to me during the spring game and I just did not see enough of MD or Williams to form an impression.

Frankly, why we have struggled bringing in higher profile recruits at RB is a bit of a mystery to me given the backs that have been through the program.

i agree. if we were able to get a kid like harris in asap, next year would be crazy as our offense would go from horrible to good over night.

i'm first worried about the OL, but adding a back like harris to the roster would be a great move. those 2 would complement each other.

Reaction Score
When they were freshmen, Todman and Brown weren't Todman and Brown.

Yes, they got better as they went along. Brown, red shirted and then got on the field as a RSF and was immediately effective. Todman played as a true frosh and to my eye was not yet strong enough, but with his speed there was no way a RS made sense.

Reaction Score
Can Harris play? Last i heard his knee was still effed up, i think he hurt it(again)in the spring. Either way, Spaz/Gene are clowns.

Reaction Score
If your standard for what should be at TB is a Brown or a Todman, than 98% of programs go into the season worried every year. If your standard for what should make you worried is a more reasonable "do we know that we at least have above average TB play compared to our peers," we shouldn't be worried.

I think we could struggle with the running game this season. Especially given the losses on the line.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Todman wasn't breaking tackles either as a freshman, and rarely as a sophomore. How easy we forget.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Did Meterparel find a way to put a positive spin on this for BC football?
He was just happy that BC was being discussed. Probably had to change his shorts.

Reaction Score
Todman wasn't breaking tackles either as a freshman, and rarely as a sophomore. How easy we forget.

I agree with that. But, from the moment Todman stepped onto the field he had the ability to take a seam or the corner and drop the ball in the endzone. We do not currently have a back that can do that.

Reaction Score
Well, from my perspective, our workhorse back is a kid who weighs in at about a buck 65 and does not have break-away speed. Everyone else is at best, untested. Someone want to tell me what the running game looks like if Lyle gets banged up?

btw, I'm a believer that one of the easiest positions to fill on offense is RB, because so much of the success at that position is dependent on the line and scheme. But, I think we're potentially exposed unless MD or Williams have something show other than what they showed in the spring game. Hypolite, to my eye, lumbered.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I agree with that. But, from the moment Todman stepped onto the field he had the ability to take a seam or the corner and drop the ball in the endzone. We do not currently have a back that can do that.
Well, in McCombs defense you're comparing him to an all-american. McCombs is a solid 1 and he proved it with a 1,000 yard season as a frosh. He does not have home run speed, agreed. He needs to get stronger and we may not see significant improvement this season. He has decent shake and I expect him to do a better job picking his spots next season. We could do a lot worse.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
btw, I'm a believer that one of the easiest positions to fill on offense is RB, because so much of the success at that position is dependent on the line and scheme. But, I think we're potentially exposed unless MD or Williams have something show other than what they showed in the spring game. Hypolite, to my eye, lumbered.

The one thing I don't think you incorporate here is vision and quick decision-making ability, which for a RB is so critical and not all RB's have. I generally agree with your assessment of LM (no breakaway speed, doesn't break tackles) but what you are missing is that he generally made very good decisions in terms of cuts, direction and using his blockers. It took Frey 2+ years to pick that up (how many times did we see him run straight into the back of a blocker?) and even Todman in his FR year was mostly used on outside runs. Donald Brown was just special - hence being a 1st round draft pick. Between the tackles, I'm pretty happy with McCombs and hope he'll get stronger and will improve his ability to break poor tackles.

Reaction Score

Oh, I dunno? Maybe it's the messed up status of the Big Coast-to-Coast East, except for the West Schools. You know. TCU in? TCU out? Navy in? Navy out? BE 2015 Championship showdown betweem San Diego State and SMU. Seriously?

Or, could it be the desire to be seen by 45+ more fans at home games?

Reaction Score
i think a lot of you underestimate Lyle McCombs. all i keep hearing is "he did well, but". there should be no buts. the guy averaged 4.2 yds/carry as a freshman, and i think most of us would agree that his vision improved quite a bit as the season went on. he's smallish and i'd always prefer a second option at RB, but McCombs is a very good back. everyone says our Oline made it tough for our QBs, well they made it tough on the RBs too. in the spring game he did pretty well whenever he had any kind of chance to pick up some yards, and i thought he clearly looked the best of our RBs so everyone should expect a very healthy dose of McCombs again this year. i'd like to see him get 20+ carries/game again like last year.

as much as everyone says all they care about production, last year we had one of our most productive years passing the ball since DanO and we got production out of our running game, averaging over 4 yds/carry. all despite having what most would agree is not the best talent we've had. with the passing game what it is now, i doubt we'll see 2000+ yards rushing like we used to, but i think we'll get what we need. i'm actually pretty optimistic about our offense for this year. last year i liked our schemes and i think this year we'll see them better executed.

Reaction Score
as much as everyone says all they care about production, last year we had one of our most productive years passing the ball since DanO and we got production out of our running game, averaging over 4 yds/carry. all despite having what most would agree is not the best talent we've had. with the passing game what it is now, i doubt we'll see 2000+ yards rushing like we used to, but i think we'll get what we need. i'm actually pretty optimistic about our offense for this year. last year i liked our schemes and i think this year we'll see them better executed.

Matty, don't get bent out of shape on this but. . . our passing game was horrible last season regardless of what some numbers crunch out to be. QB, Wr's, OL - just bad, bad, bad.

Other than that point, I agree entirely with what you've detailed.

pj

Reaction Score
Matt's point stands - if a "horrible passing game" with relatively untalented players making many mistakes in an unfamiliar system can still be statistically productive, how productive will it become with more talented players and better execution thanks to an extra year in the system? There are grounds for optimism. Aside from the OL, the offense looks solid.

Reaction Score
Matt's point stands - if a "horrible passing game" with relatively untalented players making many mistakes in an unfamiliar system can still be statistically productive, how productive will it become with more talented players and better execution thanks to an extra year in the system? There are grounds for optimism. Aside from the OL, the offense looks solid.

Assuming Whitmer starts, the jury is still out on how quickly he can pick up the offensive scheme. We cannot assume, from his productivity in the spring game, that he has picked it up fast. They only ran basic sets.

pj

Reaction Score
Good point, but if he picks it up at least as quickly as McEntee did last year, then the QB play should be much improved.

Reaction Score
Good point, but if he picks it up at least as quickly as McEntee did last year, then the QB play should be much improved.

I agree, but that's not a given. From all accounts, JM is a very smart kid.

I still worry about the OL more than anything else on this team this year.

Reaction Score
Not only that, but are we going to have to go through 4 OOCs not utilizing the total offense - saving it for conference games - only to see (like last season) that the offense is just as anemic in the BE as in non conference.

Reaction Score
i think a lot of you underestimate Lyle McCombs. all i keep hearing is "he did well, but". there should be no buts. the guy averaged 4.2 yds/carry as a freshman, and i think most of us would agree that his vision improved quite a bit as the season went on. he's smallish and i'd always prefer a second option at RB, but McCombs is a very good back. everyone says our Oline made it tough for our QBs, well they made it tough on the RBs too. in the spring game he did pretty well whenever he had any kind of chance to pick up some yards, and i thought he clearly looked the best of our RBs so everyone should expect a very healthy dose of McCombs again this year. i'd like to see him get 20+ carries/game again like last year.

But, but, but, but, give it a break, why would you hate on your best offensive weapon?
The RB position is in good hands, a second option is needed, and a third.
Robbie Frey would have done this, Nick Williams could have done that, everbody loves the underdog.
Underdog is wearing #43, he doesn't look like a 20+ carry a game back, he doesn't look like he has breakaway speed, he doesn't look like a good blocker, he doesn't look like a good pass catcher.
He averaged over 20 carries a game, he has 4.4? speed so he can breakaway, his blocking technique improved greatly, his hands are solid.
What we saw last season was a freshman back learning the ropes, picking up the nuances of the blocking scheme.
His confidence should be up, just like his weight and strength for this season.
I'm not a hot dog guy, but I like that "cooking it up" move.
Who could run for over 1100yds behind a under performing Oline, when all 11 on D, and all 45K fans know your getting the ball?... UNDERDOG!

I agree with you Matt.

Reaction Score

Agreed, he was a freshman All-American, Big East Conference leading rusher, ran behind an Offensive Line that had trouble knowing who to block but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom