Molly's Getting Hometown Support Sunday | The Boneyard

Molly's Getting Hometown Support Sunday

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"This Sunday, the Barnstable Recreation Department will take two coach buses to the Storrs Campus of the University of Connecticut to watch Molly and her teammates take on Tulane University. This will be a great opportunity for local fans to get a glimpse of this local talent playing for the most storied women's basketball program in the country."

Former BHS hoop star Molly Bent a member of storied UConn team

Pretty lengthy article.

Reaction Score
Maybe she'll be inspired to take a couple of shots....Molly is incredibly hardworking but maybe takes the game a little too seriously (if that's possible in Storrs). Needs to trust what she's learned at practice and just be in the flow rather than in her head.

Reaction Score
Nice article. Local girl makes big. :D

May be this is the kick---in the "arse"--(thank you Meyers7--Molly needs to start scoring.
quote below:
It will be really great to have that support and I hope that they can just see a great game," said Bent. "Hopefully it will give some of the kids a little incentive seeing someone from their town being able to play for UConn, which is always cool."

Bent is the true story of a local athlete cutting her basketball teeth in humble beginnings right here in the Recreation Leagues of Cape Cod, and taking it to the highest level.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yep, these local New England kids are getting well-deserved opportunities to be scholarship athletes for the most storied wcbb program anywhere. It's too bad they haven't become the next Jenn Rizzotti or Kara Wolters, but it's great they're getting to play at UConn and make good.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Maybe she'll be inspired to take a couple of shots....Molly is incredibly hardworking but maybe takes the game a little too seriously (if that's possible in Storrs). Needs to trust what she's learned at practice and just be in the flow rather than in her head.
I think you nailed this that she doesn't trust her training and I feel like when I watch her on the court she's thinking too much instead of reacting and playing (operative word play). I do enjoy the hustle, tenacity and grit. I think that has Geno putting her in games earlier and earlier. Rooting hard for to take and make a few shots!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My second favorite person out of Barnstable (after Siobhan Magnus).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

When Geno described Molly on his latest Geno A show — outstanding work ethic but a bit hyperventilatory and performance-anxious in games — I could identify because that's something that really held me back as a kid. There is such a thing as wanting something too much. But I think it's something she can work through. The hardworking-ness will ultimately carry her.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Molly, if she maintains and refines her work ethic (and I'll bet on that), is going to be a very good player for Geno, and sooner than later. She doesn't lack smarts nor energy.

If I have one concern for Molly's trajectory, more so than her jitters, it's how she can figure into the rotation as of next year, when Geno will have an embarrassment of outstanding players among whom to apportion playing time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Geno described Molly on his latest Geno A show — outstanding work ethic but a bit hyperventilatory and performance-anxious in games — I could identify because that's something that really held me back as a kid. There is such a thing as wanting something too much. But I think it's something she can work through. The hardworking-ness will ultimately carry her.
I agree that Molly's hard work will eventually pay off. I hope it kicks in sooner rather than later. She may be the hardest working player in a hard-working group.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I have one concern for Molly's trajectory, more so than her jitters, it's how she can figure into the rotation as of next year, when Geno will have an embarrassment of outstanding players among whom to apportion playing time.
Her primary competition from among the newbies will be from Mikayla, and she'll have an experience advantage. She could slip into the rotation behind Crystal.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Maybe this could be Molly's break out game. Molly is a hard working player, but she just need the confidence. She has proven more than once that she can score. Molly just need to shoot without hesitation and without thinking so much.

Reaction Score

I keep seeing these, "the sky's the limit" prognostications for the new kids and wonder how it is they'll make the huge adjustment from high school to college freshwomen at the most arduous D1 basketball training camp in the nation so much faster than anyone else has? It's starting to sound a bit like volnation over here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I keep seeing these, "the sky's the limit" prognostications for the new kids and wonder how it is they'll make the huge adjustment from high school to college freshwomen at the most arduous D1 basketball training camp in the nation so much faster than anyone else has? It's starting to sound a bit like volnation over here.
Ouch, that Volnation slap hurt-so I'm going to let it slide because you have a valid point. The jump from high school to UCONN level of competition and expectation is monumental. A good interim step to take is either USA basketball or higher level AYBL AAU basketall. Kyla and Molly had neither while Crystal been on the AYBL circuit since she was 13. I would not bet against Kyla and Molly, just tink it is going to take a little longer.

Reaction Score
Ouch, that Volnation slap hurt-so I'm going to let it slide because you have a valid point. The jump from high school to UCONN level of competition and expectation is monumental. A good interim step to take is either USA basketball or higher level AYBL AAU basketall. Kyla and Molly had neither while Crystal been on the AYBL circuit since she was 13. I would not bet against Kyla and Molly, just tink it is going to take a little longer.

At this point any comparison to our sisters in orange has to be kind of tongue-in-cheeky. But it is amusing how great minds think alike when it comes to all star youngsters taking over a program. Besides, I was just sticking up for Molly and Kyla who sure seem to be getting a whole lot of, I think, undeserved scorn in here as of late.

Reaction Score
I think you nailed this that she doesn't trust her training and I feel like when I watch her on the court she's thinking too much instead of reacting and playing (operative word play). I do enjoy the hustle, tenacity and grit. I think that has Geno putting her in games earlier and earlier. Rooting hard for to take and make a few shots!
But this is the nature of being a freshman UCONN in what is still a young season. Crystal shows more flair, of course, but she is not there yet either. Both are playing more with their heads than with muscle memory of what they can do.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
You have to love her attitude - she plays hard and practices hard, and Geno said she is in the gym as much as the Husky logo at center court - and I hope that she has a great game in front of the Barnstable contingent.

I agree with the comments about her thinking too much out there and being hesitant to shoot. Obviously, the numbers speak for themselves in terms of the few shots she takes per minutes played. 16 shots in 167 minutes, or about one every ten plus minutes.

That notorious gunner KLS is getting a shot up every two minutes or so; Kia one every 3.7 minutes; Crystal one every 3.9 minutes; Saniya one every 5.4.

As a freshman, it is easy to defer to the others out there and we see her do just that, but I would like her to try to get the mindset to look for her shot more. Judging by the numbers she put up in high school, it is not a concept that is foreign to her.

One final point, though - she seems to me to be a slow shooter, i.e., not a quick release. There are times when it looks like she is open and getting ready to shoot, and the defender closes out as Molly goes into a rather deep knee bend and before she is able to fully load up, so she then dribbles away or passes. Maybe that is a function of being hesitant and thinking too much, but IMHO it is also in part a mechanical issue. I would encourage her to work on a quicker release when she is in the gym. I understand she spends a fair amount of time there.;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember reading that freshman, Molly Bent was a Kelly Faris clone with a jump shot!
She'll relax and things will fit together sooner than later, IMHO!

Reaction Score
Funny how things work out.........My belief is is must come from the Core 4 for her to be more aggressive along with #51.......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I remember reading that freshman, Molly Bent was a Kelly Faris clone with a jump shot!
She'll relax and things will fit together sooner than later, IMHO!

I think Geno is counting on it.

"Auriemma said Bent has worked hard, but she is still looking to find the right pace in her game and her confidence has been waning. "She's her own worst enemy right now," Auriemma said. "I hope she gets it quickly because we need her, especially right now with Crystal out. We really need another guard. I would love for her to get it."

UConn Women Have Had No Trouble Finding Points Despite Loss Of Big 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom