Mohamed Bamba | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Mohamed Bamba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I notice none of them are big men, and for those three everyone here could name way more misses. I hope we land Bamba just as much as anyone here, but odds are we miss on both Richards and Bamba.

In KO we trust.
Well yeah, we've missed on players. But that's not the point I was making. Those are the players that KO and the staff went all out for and put a ton of effort into. While there's definitely room for some people to criticize him for spreading himself too thin and offering too many guys (I don't agree, however), he has a good track record of getting that one guy he wants.

Now whether that guy is Bamba/Richards which is how it seems this summer or Diallo I couldn't say. But I have confidence in KO to close on his top target, whoever that may be

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why does effort = a signing? ko has put just as much, if not more effort into several other recruits that have gone elsewhere. Very likely Bamba goes to duke and Richards goes to Kentucky. Would love either one of these, but we are on the outside looking in on both.
When a coach spends a good chunk of their time recruiting a player, watches all their games, and said player schedules a visit, means you have a good chance of signing. Our main competition is Duke, whose first option is Wendell carter according to the "experts." That's why we have a good chance of signing.

Reaction Score
When a coach spends a good chunk of their time recruiting a player, watches all their games, and said player schedules a visit, means you have a good chance of signing. Our main competition is Duke, whose first option is Wendell carter according to the "experts." That's why we have a good chance of signing.
So, you seem very confident we will get one of either Bamba or Richards right? That would be super ideal but if worst comes to worst who would we go for if we miss?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So, you seem very confident we will get one of either Bamba or Richards right? That would be super ideal but if worst comes to worst who would we go for if we miss?
My source hasn't asked Ollie this question, but in his opinion, Simms.

Reaction Score
@James is one of the best posters on the board and someone he trusts thinks that we are in great shape so I'm going to be optimistic for the time being.

You still hearing the same ?@James

I still exist the worst considering I am a uconn fan

Last edited:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Well yeah, we've missed on players. But that's not the point I was making. Those are the players that KO and the staff went all out for and put a ton of effort into. While there's definitely room for some people to criticize him for spreading himself too thin and offering too many guys (I don't agree, however), he has a good track record of getting that one guy he wants.

Now whether that guy is Bamba/Richards which is how it seems this summer or Diallo I couldn't say. But I have confidence in KO to close on his top target, whoever that may be
I think that KO did a great job with the recruiting of the current class, but how do you know who was his primary target?

Reaction Score
I think that KO did a great job with the recruiting of the current class, but how do you know who was his primary target?

Usually by who he and the coaches spend the most time watching. Also the kids will say in interviews who is "coming at them the hardest." For example, UCONN has been 3 coaches deep at almost, if not all, of Ham D's games during the earlier evaluation periods (I'm not sure about recently; I haven't been paying attention). He has also consistently mentioned us as recruiting him hard during interviews.

UCONN has consistently had coaches at all of Bamba's and Richard's games. They've also put in quite a bit of work with DJ Harvey, and MAL. We have tons of other offers out, but the coaches have invested themselves in these players.

The other offers are sometimes contigency plans, sometimes kids who have expressed interest in UCONN, sometimes kids making things up so they look better (KO and co. can't comment even if a kid is lying about an offer), kids who are decided but want to enjoy the recruiting experience, longshot offers, offers to try and pressure a commit from another player (ie. Possibly Waters interest to pressure MAL; Wilkes/Harvey to pressure Diallo) anything really.

For those saying KO is spreading himself thin-- HE IS NOT. I repeat--he is not and has not in the past. Putting an offer out there is easy. He has obviously prioritized MAL, Richards, Bamba, Diallo, Harvey, and maybe Waters. I'm not sure of that yet. These are the kids they are watching regularly, making the long phone calls to, talking to parents and coaches, pushing for visits, etc. Just because an offer is reported doesn't mean KO is clueless or we stand no chance at these recruits. The time investment is in a very specific few kids. He can't spend money on the kids, so his time is the most valuable asset KO has.

Sorry for the rant DogBreath. I answered your question then went on a wacky rant there. Still leaving it--those are two minutes of typing I'll never get back.

Reaction Score
@James is one of the best posters on the board and someone he trusts thinks that we are in great shape so I'm going to be optimistic for the time being.

You still hearing the same ?@James

I still exist the worst considering I am a uconn fan
Not much new buzz since earlier in the summer but a trip to storrs after going to chile with ko is a good sign.

Few notes on bamba~ larrier and vital's PSA/munch williams ties definitely help, also the fact that Larrier has gotten some first round buzz after a year under KO.

Reaction Score
The article (which came out on Sunday) Mo said he's visiting next Thursday, which is somewhat ambiguous. I'm guessing it's the 11th.

None of the freshman are on campus this week so hopefully they're around next week to make a better visit. Only guys on campus right now are Rodney, Jalen and Terry.

Also, we have no idea if it's an official or unofficial visit.

Reaction Score
The article (which came out on Sunday) Mo said he's visiting next Thursday, which is somewhat ambiguous. I'm guessing it's the 11th.

None of the freshman are on campus this week so hopefully they're around next week to make a better visit. Only guys on campus right now are Rodney, Jalen and Terry.

Also, we have no idea if it's an official or unofficial visit.

silly question - what is the difference between official and unofficial visit? I know recruits are only allowed something like 5 officials. But practically, is there any difference? Like can you not commit on an unofficial visit?

I'm sure this is readily available on the NCAA site or something, but I figured I would call on the collective wisdom of the yard.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
silly question - what is the difference between official and unofficial visit? I know recruits are only allowed something like 5 officials. But practically, is there any difference? Like can you not commit on an unofficial visit?

I'm sure this is readily available on the NCAA site or something, but I figured I would call on the collective wisdom of the yard.

The main difference is the schools pay for official visits (travel, meals, etc.) and the players' families pay for unofficial visits. I think there are some differences on the interactions that can occur while the player is on campus also.

Reaction Score
Pushing all visits to August 26-28 would be ideal. These recruits coming the first weekend back for all students will give them the skewed perception that we're a major party school. Like it or not, I believe that factor is in some, or many, of their decisions.

Reaction Score
It would be great if he could go to the Calhoun Alumni game on the 12th. What a great recruiting tool that could be!
The current players usually drive up for that, that would be pretty cool.

Reaction Score
Recent unofficials bamba has taken; duke/wake together and nova last fall. It was said he visited Harvard but no confirmation. (Mods maybe want to change the spelling of his name in thread title?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom