1. The cesspool is now available to unregistered users. If you enjoy politics, feel free to read posts, or register to participate. Scroll down. You'll find the cesspool under "Off Topic Boards."
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Recruiting: Mohamed Bamba

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by The Smart One, Apr 14, 2015.

1. InKembaITrust

InKembaITrust

Sooooo what's the latest on Bamba? haha

2. AntG168

AntG168

No one really knows. But our chances don't seem good

3. UConnStats

UConnStats

About the same chances of UConn winning a National Championship this year.

4. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

Great. But you were guessing. There were statements that he would play here that were clearly based on what Diallo himself was telling our players. Would it have been rational to go with your guess rather than words that were, third hand, emanating from the player himself?

5. nomar

nomar

[​IMG]

Ricker and UConNation like this.
  6. TitleTown

TitleTown

I absolutely agree, but there was no chance of that happening. Even without losing Gilbert and Larrier this was a mediocre 18-20 win team at best. As soon as Calipari got in the mix it was over.

7. TitleTown

TitleTown

What a recruit says and what a recruit does are two entirely different things. The bottom line is that when Calipari got involved anyone could see the writing on the wall that Diallo was going to end up at Kentucky. As far as rational goes, I was basing my guess on a pretty clear track record that shows that Calipari gets who he wants the majority of the time, while others were basing their guesses off hearsay.

8. pj

pj

The bottom line is that if Hami had been of UConn/JC/KO character, eager to challenge himself and take the stairs not the escalator, he would have snubbed Calipari and enrolled in UConn in September 2016.

He wanted to take the escalator, and he believed Calipari's snake oil that enrolling at Kentucky would be enough to get him drafted. And so things went the way they did.

If Calipari beats UConn for players a majority of the time, it just proves that UConn character is a rare thing.

Kembacity, UConnSwag11 and HuskyHawk like this.
  9. KembaStepback

KembaStepback Rains Triples

I know we don't appear to be in a good spot here...but can we change that? Lets put the press on. Whats the worst that can happen? It doesn't seem like there is anyone else we are in on...so might as well go for the big shot. Go see him. Put in some face time. Get that final official visit.

Bamba seemed to like KO at the USA Basketball stuff, right?

10. navery12

navery12

Eh, I don't know. People killed KO for recruiting Diallo up until Saturday since apparently it was so obvious to everyone he was going to UK. I'd much rather have them focus on a guy like Olden and a grad transfer big that could actually come here and help

11. Matrim55

Matrim55

It's not an either/or, though. If we assume we're all-in on Olden (which is a pretty good assumption), we can still be all-in on Bamba. And Bamba, of course, is likely to make his college choice before we even know which big men are eligible as postgrads.

Now if his recruitment drags into June like Thompson's did for Syracuse last year, I'd prefer we cut bait sign a postgrad as soon as one comes available. But as of this moment that situation is hypothetical and the reality is there's no opportunity cost to going hard after Bamba for the next 2.5 months, even if our chances of landing him are remote.

12. navery12

navery12

That's fair, I still want us to go all in on Bamba and hopefully convince him. That scenario where it's going into June is more what I was referencing. I have no problem with them going all out for Bamba, I just hope its not at the cost of finding another useful player to come. But I trust KO to know who to prioritize and when

13. TitleTown

TitleTown

"UConn character" hasn't meant much in terms of winning games.

14. upstater

upstater

Oh, I think Uconn has done more winning than your team, that's for sure.