Mo: Pedroia over Cano | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mo: Pedroia over Cano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The numbers also are better……..does that work for you 25?;)
1. No. Defensively, they are about equal. Offensively, they are Different players asked to do different things.
2. I thought you were an eye test guy!?!? Past posts indicate that you are one of those "can't measure defense with metrics.
3. Forgive me if I trust a 20 year veteran major leaguer's opinion over anyone whoposts on the Boneyard...;)

Reaction Score
1. No. Defensively, they are about equal. Offensively, they are Different players asked to do different things.
2. I thought you were an eye test guy!?!? Past posts indicate that you are one of those "can't measure defense with metrics.
3. Forgive me if I trust a 20 year veteran major leaguer's opinion over anyone whoposts on the Boneyard...;)

What opinion? That he plays harder? The knock from Mo was obviously how hard he played, that's all not how good anyone was.

Defensively they are maybe equal but only because of Cano's nonchalant days at 2nd……maybe.

Offensively I am not sure what the heck you mean "they are different players asked to do different things"? Pedey batted 3rd and 4th many times and isn't one to show the inside out swing to advance the runner or drop down a bunt or choke up to get apiece so explain to me what they do different? They go up swinging to drive the ball somewhere and are both good hitters but Cano is better by a decent amount, more power and overall a better average hitter.

Reaction Score
You're screwed up if you think he "blows him away"…..shove the metrics up your a* and watch the game…….they are both real good but Cano makes plays NO other 2nd baseman can make. Does he get nonchalant? Hell yeah but without that it's not close….Cano is a better player in every way unless you're a Sox fan with blinders on!
I watch the game, don't worry. I think Pedroia is better than Cano to my own eye while you see the other way. fortunately for me, the stats back up me, not you.

Career Fielding Pct:
Cano (.986)
Pedroia (.991)

Career UZR/150:
Cano: (-3.2)
Pedroia: (9.9)

Career Defense Runs Saved Above Average:
Cano (18)
Pedroia: (78)

But yeah, keep telling us that Cano - the guy who never dives for balls - makes plays that no one else can make.

What a fool.

Reaction Score
What opinion? That he plays harder? The knock from Mo was obviously how hard he played, that's all not how good anyone was.

What do you think Mariano means when he says he would take Pedroia over Cano if he had to win one game? That's a damning quote that isn't just about hustle. I can hustle but it doesnt' mean jacksh!t.

Reaction Score
What do you think Mariano means when he says he would take Pedroia over Cano if he had to win one game? That's a damning quote that isn't just about hustle. I can hustle but it doesnt' mean jacksh!t.

You can't read either Vike? We know you know jack about the game except that you are a huge Red Sox fan with only one pair of glasses but other than that……….anyway that's what he means. He likes the way he plays the game so he would take him for that reason……hell I might take him for the same reason. Doesn't mean he's a better player for 162 games but he's a gamer………….man are you stupid!

And stats in fielding……….some of the dumbest I have ever seen………..you can take those right to where the sun don't shine pal because they can't measure crap. What one guy can get to and another can't is not measured only what they can……..Cano has always made plays that Pedroia could only dream of, year in year out. Because of his crappy nonchalant attitude they may be even at worst but that's about as close as it gets. He's not even on my team and I hope 'er fails miserably with the Mariners nbut he's a better player in every way but loose that your Pedey………have fun with that Ragnar!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cano makes plays NO other 2nd baseman can make.

Pedroia doesn't? Take that incredible play in Game 3 of the WS. Infield in, Pedey makes the tough stop and throw a pea right on the money. Cano doesn't even make the stop.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Defensively they are maybe equal but only because of Cano's nonchalant days at 2nd……maybe.

Offensively I am not sure what the heck you mean "they are different players asked to do different things"? Pedey batted 3rd and 4th many times and isn't one to show the inside out swing to advance the runner or drop down a bunt or choke up to get apiece so explain to me what they do different? They go up swinging to drive the ball somewhere and are both good hitters but Cano is better by a decent amount, more power and overall a better average hitter.

"Nonchalantness" is a part of Cano's game. They cannot be separated. It's like saying the Broncos would have won the Super Bowl if only they scored more points!!!

Offensively, Petey is not a homerun hitter and if their stats are extrapolated over 162 games, Cano has a .007 advantage in Batting Average. However, Petey gets on base more, which equates to better plate discipline (He collects 26 more walks per year on average than Cano), scores more, and the difference in OPS (On Base % + Slugging %) is about equal (though Cano holds a slight advantage).

Petey is a line drive hitter. By virtue of him being a pull hitter and the dimensions of Fenway park, some of them happen to make their way over the wall. While he doesn't care where he hits in the order, he primarily hits 2nd (2800 of his 4700 PAs came in the 2-hole). Cano has hit primarily out of the 5, 7, and 3 holes (in that order,) and is expected hit homeruns and pile up RBI's. It's interesting that Cano only has 1 HR this year after just under 1/4 season. Let's see how many HRs he ends up with, playing at least 81 games in Pitchers parks. Pedroia should less the gap in hitting categories you hold so dear, and expand his lead in others.

Reaction Score
You can't read either Vike? We know you know jack about the game except that you are a huge Red Sox fan with only one pair of glasses but other than that……….anyway that's what he means. He likes the way he plays the game so he would take him for that reason……hell I might take him for the same reason. Doesn't mean he's a better player for 162 games but he's a gamer………….man are you stupid!

And stats in fielding……….some of the dumbest I have ever seen………..you can take those right to where the sun don't shine pal because they can't measure crap. What one guy can get to and another can't is not measured only what they can……..Cano has always made plays that Pedroia could only dream of, year in year out. Because of his crappy nonchalant attitude they may be even at worst but that's about as close as it gets. He's not even on my team and I hope 'er fails miserably with the Mariners nbut he's a better player in every way but loose that your Pedey………have fun with that Ragnar!
If you think Mo picked Pedroia to win one game purely on hustle than that's a low opinion you must have of Mo. The guy is driven to win. It's not his fault he doesn't have more than 4 rings or whatever number he ended up with. He's the best closer of all time for a reason.

Also, not sure if you are aware but the newer defensive stats measure range, balls you can get too and balls that you can't get to BUT SHOULD. I included fielding percentage because it's an old-school stat and I thought it would be right up your alley. And Pedroia even wins that.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If you think Mo picked Pedroia to win one game purely on hustle than that's a low opinion you must have of Mo. The guy is driven to win. It's not his fault he doesn't have more than 4 rings or whatever number he ended up with. He's the best closer of all time for a reason.

Also, not sure if you are aware but the newer defensive stats measure range, balls you can get too and balls that you can't get to BUT SHOULD. I included fielding percentage because it's an old-school stat and I thought it would be right up your alley. And Pedroia even wins that.
Mau doesn't believe that defense can be measured with statistics. While every nearly every single team employees a Sabermatician, Mau still worships at the alter of Joe Morgan.

Reaction Score
Mau doesn't believe that defense can be measured with statistics. While every nearly every single team employees a Sabermatician, Mau still worships at the alter of Joe Morgan.

Don't like Joe Morgan. Your worship of Pedey is great, he's on your team but it blinds you guys. These 2 are only close due to his lack of attention to the game or else Cano would be a better fielder going away. And this from a guy who hopes he begins to hit .250 the rest of his career……….he's better in all aspects but Pedey is damn good. Nothing to be ashamed of……...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom