MLS Playoffs | The Boneyard

MLS Playoffs

Reaction Score
Just to give you an idea of how absurd the parity has gotten in this league, both teams that played (Portland and Columbus) in the MLS Cup Final missed the playoffs. This is even more absurd when you consider that making the playoffs is actually pretty easy given that the Top 6 from each of the conferences qualify.

FC Dallas has already won the US Open Cup and locked up the Supporter's Shield, they actually have a chance at a "Treble", although I would hesitate to call it a true treble. Dallas was my favorite to win basically everything this season. They scout smart and sign young talent that doesn't get hurt all that much and they can be pretty explosive.

On the east side, the Red Bulls look the strongest to me, but I would also give Toronto a nod. I think NYCFC might struggle simply because this is there first experience in the postseason.

So I'm predicting a Dallas/Red Bull final

The western knockout round matches this week should be great. While the visiting teams almost never win these matches,RSL and KC are capable of beating LA and Seattle. KC has beaten Seattle twice this season, including one game in Seattle. KC basically got Sigi Schmid fired. Seattle is very improved, and perhaps a different team since Sigi got canned.

LA has not been solid and I wouldn't put it past RSL winning.

Eastern Conference
Knockout Round Bye: #1 New York Red Bulls, #2 New York City FC

Knockout Round Matches:

• #3 Toronto FC vs. #6 Philadelphia Union (Wed., Oct. 26 @ 7:30 pm ET on ESPN2, TSN2, UniMás)
  • #4 D.C. United vs. #5 Montreal Impact (Thurs., Oct. 27 @ 7:30 pm ET on UniMás)
Western Conference
Knockout Round Bye: #1 FC Dallas, #2 Colorado Rapids

Knockout Round Matches:

• #3 LA Galaxy vs. #6 Real Salt Lake (Wed., Oct. 26 @ 10:30 pm ET on TSN/TSN5, RDS2, UniMás)
  • #4 Seattle Sounders vs. #5 Sporting KC (Thurs., Oct. 27 @ 10 pm ET on FS1, UniMás)

Reaction Score
So in the Eastern Conference, Toronto absolutely crushed New York City. Which is notable for because Jozy and Bradley are actually in really good form at the moment.

The biggest surprise for me was the Red Bulls being ousted by Montreal. The Red Bulls have two MVP candidates, but Montreal looks really good at the moment.

In West, Seattle got by FC Dallas, but really Seattle doesn't deserve to be where it is because of not one but three BS calls in the wild card game.

The biggest surprise and disappointment I am sure for the league was Colorado taking out Los Angeles in penalties.

This leaves us with an all Canadian eastern final and a Colorado/Seattle western final.

I'd prefer to see Toronto go through and face Colorado, simply because I hate Seattle so much. But both matchups would be pretty interesting with plenty of good players.

Reaction Score
So in the Eastern Conference, Toronto absolutely crushed New York City. Which is notable for because Jozy and Bradley are actually in really good form at the moment.

The biggest surprise for me was the Red Bulls being ousted by Montreal. The Red Bulls have two MVP candidates, but Montreal looks really good at the moment.

In West, Seattle got by FC Dallas, but really Seattle doesn't deserve to be where it is because of not one but three BS calls in the wild card game.

The biggest surprise and disappointment I am sure for the league was Colorado taking out Los Angeles in penalties.

This leaves us with an all Canadian eastern final and a Colorado/Seattle western final.

I'd prefer to see Toronto go through and face Colorado, simply because I hate Seattle so much. But both matchups would be pretty interesting with plenty of good players.
I'd think it helps the league that Tim Howard is still in the playoffs and made three saves in the PK shootout. By the way, I would never call a PK save easy, but it didn't look like LA was even trying on their shots. And Colorado had two decent shots, but one horrible one that the LA goalie jumped right over.

Reaction Score
Seattle wins a most undeserved championship. I didn't even watch the game but I heard it was a dog. MLS needs to rearrange the season and figure a way to go from August to May.

Reaction Score
Seattle wins a most undeserved championship. I didn't even watch the game but I heard it was a dog. MLS needs to rearrange the season and figure a way to go from August to May.

You can't blame the weather for Seattle getting 0 shots on goal in 120 minutes.

Having your championship is Toronto in December is certainly problematic, but so is playing games in Boston and Chicago and Denver in January and February. There are ways to avoid snow games (by not having outdoor northern teams play at home for 3 months), but there are no good ways.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am not an MLS follower, mostly because I haven't become a fan of any one team. But why are the playoffs so drawn out? It must have affected the level of play. not to mention the momentum.

Reaction Score
I am not an MLS follower, mostly because I haven't become a fan of any one team. But why are the playoffs so drawn out? It must have affected the level of play. not to mention the momentum.

Because an international break falls in the middle of them. Otherwise it's just a normal one game a week.

Reaction Score
You can't blame the weather for Seattle getting 0 shots on goal in 120 minutes.

Having your championship is Toronto in December is certainly problematic, but so is playing games in Boston and Chicago and Denver in January and February. There are ways to avoid snow games (by not having outdoor northern teams play at home for 3 months), but there are no good ways.

Season needs to go from August to May. Take a month and a half off from mid December to Pro Bowl week or abouts. Play the MLS Cup on the same weekend as the Champion's League final.

Reaction Score

Because of what BL said and because too many teams make the playoffs.

Seattle won the Cup as a Wildcard team.

This is the second year in a row that a WC team won and the second year that the team that beat KC in the Wildcard game won it all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom