MLS Playoffs | The Boneyard

MLS Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NYRB vs. NE Patriots afterbirth in the eastern finals.

I thought Columbus was too inexperienced. They're this season's Revs. DC United got exposed. They played cowardly bunker ball all season, and when it came time to play, they wilted.

Hopefully this will Landycakes's last competitive match right here.

Reaction Score
Revs versus the Red Bulls should be fun, too bad both teams are overlooked by the local media for the most part as a Boston v New York playoff series usually is very entertaining. Still, I expect sell-out for both matches (ignoring the 1/2 of Gillette that is closed-off for soccer matches of course).

That said, I predict the Galaxy will win it. The Galaxy seem to be focused on sending LD out with a bang for better or worse.

Reaction Score
So glad Landycakes finally found the motivation to play some soccer. He did a great job earning that spot in Brazil, after Brazil. He should thank JK, for cutting him. Otherwise he would have finished his career in frustrated mediocrity.

Reaction Score
I think the Revs are on a mission to destroy. In a single game, they could best any team in the league.

Reaction Score
NE is peaking at right time. They ended the season on a hot streak and that has continued thru the playoffs. Now that the Crew are out, hoping for a Sounders/Red Bulls final.

Reaction Score
NE is peaking at right time. They ended the season on a hot streak and that has continued thru the playoffs. Now that the Crew are out, hoping for a Sounders/Red Bulls final.

I think Sounders and NE would be a good final. I saw NE and NY in person. NE just has so many weapons with Nguyen, Jones, Davies and Bunbury to say the least. They are big, fast and physical. When they played SKC that was one of the best games I have ever seen in MLS. Really fast and physical.

NY is an old team, I think that they will get worn down a bit.

Reaction Score
I think it will be a Seattle/NE final, I'm just pulling for NY since it's my local team (even if not my favorite).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So glad Landycakes finally found the motivation to play some soccer. He did a great job earning that spot in Brazil, after Brazil. He should thank JK, for cutting him. Otherwise he would have finished his career in frustrated mediocrity.

Either that or he proved that he has the ability to rise to the occasion in big spots and doesn't need the zen master bullsht. His record would tend to favor the latter. You will always have Brad Davis. And Mix who didn't play a minute, though I'd still have had him on the roster.

Reaction Score
Either that or he proved that he has the ability to rise to the occasion in big spots and doesn't need the zen master bullsht. His record would tend to favor the latter. You will always have Brad Davis. And Mix who didn't play a minute, though I'd still have had him on the roster.

I am not a big fan of LD; but, did you see his fifth goal? Pass over Salt Lake's defensive line set him up for a one-on-one with the keeper that he one touched into the net. That was in a leagues semi-final.

Did that look familiar? It did to me.

That's exactly why I though LD should have been on the summer's World Cup team and not Wondo (actually would have swapped Davis for LD and Wodo for a Altidore clone, maybe Juan Sebastián Agudelo, just in case Altidore got hurt or was card suspended). LD has proven he can make big plays and make big goals in big games. Even at 75%, I would have taken him to Brazil as a super sub for moments just like that.

Reaction Score

Actually, he's playing well because he unburdened himself of his pressure filled MLS career. He us under zero pressure. We need 11 Clint Dempseys, guys that actually want to play. Donovan was average this season before he announced his retirement, whenever that guy was under pressure, there was a 50/50 chance he would lapse into a depression filled-defeatist funk.

Reaction Score
I am not a big fan of LD; but, did you see his fifth goal? Pass over Salt Lake's defensive line set him up for a one-on-one with the keeper that he one touched into the net. That was in a leagues semi-final.

Did that look familiar? It did to me.

That's exactly why I though LD should have been on the summer's World Cup team and not Wondo (actually would have swapped Davis for LD and Wodo for a Altidore clone, maybe Juan Sebastián Agudelo, just in case Altidore got hurt or was card suspended). LD has proven he can make big plays and make big goals in big games. Even at 75%, I would have taken him to Brazil as a super sub for moments just like that.

Except for the fact that Donovan wasn't even close to last night's form in April and May, I agree with you completely.

Reaction Score
Except for the fact that Donovan wasn't even close to last night's form in April and May, I agree with you completely.

agree that LD was not in form, though, according to the rumor mill, he finished in the top 5 in the fitness drills. Against Belgium, Wondo came in at the 72' mark. I am sure LD could have run around for 18 minutes and if he was in that spot just based on experience alone, would have scored.

That said. It's in the past. Pulling for the young kids to get some serious game time in the next few friendlies before the Gold Cup as team USA needs some new blood.

Reaction Score
agree that LD was not in form, though, according to the rumor mill, he finished in the top 5 in the fitness drills. Against Belgium, Wondo came in at the 72' mark. I am sure LD could have run around for 18 minutes and if he was in that spot just based on experience alone, would have scored.

That said. It's in the past. Pulling for the young kids to get some serious game time in the next few friendlies before the Gold Cup as team USA needs some new blood.

This Miguel Ibarra from Minnesota United is intriguing. The fact that this guy slipped through MLS is an indictment on the league as a whole. Sometimes I think these MLS managers have no idea what they are doing.

Reaction Score
I know some people hate penalty kicks, but that's a better way to end your season than losing the tiebreaker of a 1-1 draw and a 0-0 draw.

In order to move on in the playoffs you should have to win something.

Reaction Score
I know some people hate penalty kicks, but that's a better way to end your season than losing the tiebreaker of a 1-1 draw and a 0-0 draw.

In order to move on in the playoffs you should have to win something.

Unless I am wrong, this was the only series where the away goals rule actually was decisive. But it seems like it doesn't make sense to have this rule if you have seedlings. Seattle got lucky.

I really hate that turf in Seattle.

Reaction Score
Unless I am wrong, this was the only series where the away goals rule actually was decisive. But it seems like it doesn't make sense to have this rule if you have seedlings. Seattle got lucky.

I really hate that turf in Seattle.

Not a fan of the artificial turf either; but, it is at least better than the carpet and concrete that used to be called 'artificial turf' in my day. As for Seattle, I think its the only realistic option for them as with heavy use by the Seahawks and Sounders combined with weather in Seattle (cool, rainy, not much sun), grass would not survive.

Reaction Score
This Miguel Ibarra from Minnesota United is intriguing. The fact that this guy slipped through MLS is an indictment on the league as a whole. Sometimes I think these MLS managers have no idea what they are doing.

Agree that he is intriguing. Just watched his goal against Ft Lauderdale (2:20 mark of the clip below) and it was very inventive.

Also, looked like Minnesota had about 6K in attendance for a second division soccer game (yes a playoff) in sub freezing temps. Why is MLS intent on placing a team in Miami or a second team in LA?

In addition, saw that Jordan Morris got called up. He's a Sophomore on Stanford's team? Wow. While great for him and hopefully the USMNT, I wonder if this will hurt Stanford's chances in the NCAA tournament down the road (schedule is not out yet)?

Reaction Score
Agree that he is intriguing. Just watched his goal against Ft Lauderdale (2:20 mark of the clip below) and it was very inventive.

Also, looked like Minnesota had about 6K in attendance for a second division soccer game (yes a playoff) in sub freezing temps. Why is MLS intent on placing a team in Miami or a second team in LA?

In addition, saw that Jordan Morris got called up. He's a Sophomore on Stanford's team? Wow. While great for him and hopefully the USMNT, I wonder if this will hurt Stanford's chances in the NCAA tournament down the road (schedule is not out yet)?

Also, just read about the controversial tying goal that Ft Lauderdale got in extra time that tied the game in which they later won on PK's. It's at the 6:47 mark. The official explanation was that the ball was deliberately played by a Minnesota defender (Venegas) and thus the 3 Ft. Lauderdale players, including the goal scorer, Nunez, were not offside. I have watched the play in full speed and frame by frame and this looks like a 'Tom Brady Tuck Rule' where the referring body has to make-up a reason while such a clearly wrong call was made. The ball was bouncing around a lot and it went to Venegas who looked to deflect it off of his shin while trying to clear it as the ball bounced (cold surface) right as he tried to kick it. He never had control nor did the ball go in the direction that he swung his foot in. Thus, it was not a deliberate act. It was a deflection and in turn Nunez & company were offside as the linesman called it. Does not help that the referee who overturned the linesman was about 10 meters from the play with maybe a dozen players between him and the ball. I am sue he saw what happened, not.

http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/17...-minnesota-fort-lauderdale-match#.VGIk89F0y00

Reaction Score
Not a fan of the artificial turf either; but, it is at least better than the carpet and concrete that used to be called 'artificial turf' in my day. As for Seattle, I think its the only realistic option for them as with heavy use by the Seahawks and Sounders combined with weather in Seattle (cool, rainy, not much sun), grass would not survive.

This makes no sense to me. I mean, it never rains in England....

Reaction Score

1. Don Garber is an idiot. That's why.

2. Morris is a good one, this is his second call up. JK, seems to have taken an interest in cultivating this talent. When the USMNT trained at Stanford before Brazil, Morris scored against the Nats in a scrimmage. He is also a Sounders academy product,

3. Ibarra looks like a quality player in a league that doesn't have much. But his speed and vision are tremendous.

Reaction Score
Also, just read about the controversial tying goal that Ft Lauderdale got in extra time that tied the game in which they later won on PK's. It's at the 6:47 mark. The official explanation was that the ball was deliberately played by a Minnesota defender (Venegas) and thus the 3 Ft. Lauderdale players, including the goal scorer, Nunez, were not offside. I have watched the play in full speed and frame by frame and this looks like a 'Tom Brady Tuck Rule' where the referring body has to make-up a reason while such a clearly wrong call was made. The ball was bouncing around a lot and it went to Venegas who looked to deflect it off of his shin while trying to clear it as the ball bounced (cold surface) right as he tried to kick it. He never had control nor did the ball go in the direction that he swung his foot in. Thus, it was not a deliberate act. It was a deflection and in turn Nunez & company were offside as the linesman called it. Does not help that the referee who overturned the linesman was about 10 meters from the play with maybe a dozen players between him and the ball. I am sue he saw what happened, not.

http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/17...-minnesota-fort-lauderdale-match#.VGIk89F0y00

The offsides rule changed recently too. I don't know the specifics, but a lot of coaches didn't even know that it had changed.

Reaction Score
The offsides rule changed recently too. I don't know the specifics, but a lot of coaches didn't even know that it had changed.

The only way this play could be onside is if the new rule basically says that everyone is automatically onside if any ball is touched/deflected by a defensive player. If that is the case, I can draw-up a few new game strategies that should really liven-up a match.

Reaction Score
The only way this play could be onside is if the new rule basically says that everyone is automatically onside if any ball is touched/deflected by a defensive player. If that is the case, I can draw-up a few new game strategies that should really liven-up a match.

I don't understand the new rule, I was just suggesting it might have had something to do with the strange call. But I doubt that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom