MLS CBA | The Boneyard

MLS CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Supposedly the hardliners have rejected the MLSPU's compromises. Players are fixing to walk. Looks like my Sunday is looking pretty clear now.

Supposedly the Player's Unions from some of the other Pro Sports in North America have pitched in to a strike fund as a show of solidarity.

I hardly ever disagree with rich guys.. but the MLS Owners are looking pretty idiotic.

Major sticking point is free agency.

Reaction Score
My soccer twitter is blowing up today. Supposedly agents are blowing up the phones lining up training stints in the NASL and some other foreign clubs. This just got real.

There are supposed to be two Champions League matches this week. Montreal and DC considering forfeiting...

Hopefully this results in a transformation of the league, so that it operates like every other league on the planet.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I never truly realized how screwed up MLS is....it's no surprise they can't get any top players...their current rules on Player contracts is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I never truly realized how screwed up MLS is....it's no surprise they can't get any top players...their current rules on Player contracts is ridiculous.

It's an abomination really. NASL doesn't need these rules, and they aren't going bankrupt any time soon.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Montreal not only played but ended in a draw and advanced on away goals in the CCL. Good win for MLS considering DC got pasted in the first leg of their series.

Reaction Score
Looks like Montreal not only played but ended in a draw and advanced on away goals in the CCL. Good win for MLS considering DC got pasted in the first leg of their series.

I saw the game from the PK on, pretty exciting.

Reaction Score
Looks like MLS and the Player's Union have managed to get a deal in...

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...-union-reach-agreement-on-new-cba-sources-say

"A source with knowledge of the negotiations confirmed that the CBA contains the first provision for limited free agency in the league's history, with players who are at least 28 years old and with at least eight years of experience eligible to pick what team they play for when their contract expires.

A source of friction had been the league's insistence that any raise for a free agency be capped at 10 percent, but the two sides reached a compromise by using a tiered system.

Players making over $200,000 will be limited to a 15 percent increase from their previous contract. Players whose salary falls between $100,000 and $200,000 will be eligible for a 20 percent raise, while those players making $100,000 or less will be able to garner a 25 percent raise.

The minimum salary is now $60,000, which amounts to a 64 percent increase over the previous minimum of $36,500"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...-union-reach-agreement-on-new-cba-sources-say

"A source with knowledge of the negotiations confirmed that the CBA contains the first provision for limited free agency in the league's history, with players who are at least 28 years old and with at least eight years of experience eligible to pick what team they play for when their contract expires.

A source of friction had been the league's insistence that any raise for a free agency be capped at 10 percent, but the two sides reached a compromise by using a tiered system.

Players making over $200,000 will be limited to a 15 percent increase from their previous contract. Players whose salary falls between $100,000 and $200,000 will be eligible for a 20 percent raise, while those players making $100,000 or less will be able to garner a 25 percent raise.

The minimum salary is now $60,000, which amounts to a 64 percent increase over the previous minimum of $36,500"
Good, I hate strikes. Now we can get the season started this weekend.

Reaction Score

I rule this a draw. I think the players could have dragged this out into this evening and eeked out a better deal.

Smart strategy by the owners though. Increasing the minimum that much bought a bunch of votes.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I still am shocked that there is a tiered limit on how much you can make. What other league in any sport in the world does this? No wonder players leave for Europe or other leagues when given the chance. I don't blame them one bit. MLS will never be a major player in soccer.

Reaction Score
Still pretty excited about getting out to the match on Sunday night. Looking forward to seeing Roger Espinoza play again. Hopefully the Red Bulls suck this year.

Reaction Score
I still am shocked that there is a tiered limit on how much you can make. What other league in any sport in the world does this? No wonder players leave for Europe or other leagues when given the chance. I don't blame them one bit. MLS will never be a major player in soccer.

Don't the NFL and NBA both limit/tier the rookie contracts? Both are capped for years/amounts and are tiered based on when you got drafted (for the lottery picks)

Reaction Score
Don't the NFL and NBA both limit/tier the rookie contracts? Both are capped for years/amounts and are tiered based on when you got drafted (for the lottery picks)

Yes. But it's not like the NBA and NFL have to worry about rookies signing with a foreign league because it can pay more. The NBA maaaaaybe, but if the NBA ran into competitive difficulties because of that limitation they would fix it quickly. Soccer is a global market. What they have ensured is that the best young American players will continue to sign with European and even Mexican teams.

Of course we'll still have some late bloomers come through but if they are that good, then they will either be sold, or will play out their contracts and sign abroad.

This season there were 3-4 college players who opted out of MLS for European clubs. At least one of which was drafted by MLS but ended up signing in Europe.

Reaction Score
I was channel surfing last night and caught part of the US against Guatamala in the CONCACAF U-17 tournament. We have two ABSOLUTE STUDs out there. Pulisic who plays in Borussia Dortmund's Academy but practices with the first team and Perez who is Fiorentina's system.

It's amazing to me that MLS's scouting is still so bad that they can't identify and sign these kids. I listen to Sirius XM a ton and one thing you hear continually is how US based foreign scouts are currently scouring the top developmental academies in the US, yet MLS is nowhere to be seen.

Perhaps this is a good thing for the US for these guys to go abroad at a young age, but if we want to see our own league raise the standard of play in an economical fashion they are going to have to get better at scouting.

http://www.ussoccer.com/us-under17-mens-national-team/latest-roster

By my count. Only six of these guys are attached to MLS Academies/Teams

Reaction Score
Watch Pulisic's nutmeg v. Cuba. They replay it in slo-mo at 13 seconds and it is significantly more impressive than at real spead.... brilliant. Also, big match for US U17 v. hosts Honduras Sunday night. Win there and they clinch their group, advance st8 to the finals, and automatically qualify for the U17 World Cup.

Reaction Score
Yes. But it's not like the NBA and NFL have to worry about rookies signing with a foreign league because it can pay more. The NBA maaaaaybe, but if the NBA ran into competitive difficulties because of that limitation they would fix it quickly. Soccer is a global market. What they have ensured is that the best young American players will continue to sign with European and even Mexican teams.

Of course we'll still have some late bloomers come through but if they are that good, then they will either be sold, or will play out their contracts and sign abroad.

This season there were 3-4 college players who opted out of MLS for European clubs. At least one of which was drafted by MLS but ended up signing in Europe.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't saying it's right, just that it isn't unheard of.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score

This is exactly it. If MLS wants to rise above even the mid-tier leagues in Europe and even Mexico, it needs to fix it's system to be more like the rest of the soccer world. There's no reason we can't be more attractive then flipping playing in Mexico! I know this is a step in the right direction but it's not going to help this league raise it's stature.

Reaction Score
Watch Pulisic's nutmeg v. Cuba. They replay it in slo-mo at 13 seconds and it is significantly more impressive than at real spead.... brilliant. Also, big match for US U17 v. hosts Honduras Sunday night. Win there and they clinch their group, advance st8 to the finals, and automatically qualify for the U17 World Cup.

I feel for the defender. I played a pick-up co-ed soccer match once in college and was playing a defensive midfielder role. I went up to challenge a girl from the opposing team who just received a pass to try and strip her before she could drive in. Before I even had a clue what was going on, she and the ball were well past me. May have been a nutmeg, may not, I have no clue. Later, I did find out the girl who embarrassed me was some chick by the name of Mia Mamm. I'll carry that memory to the grave smiling.

Reaction Score
Also, big match for US U17 v. hosts Honduras Sunday night. Win there and they clinch their group, advance st8 to the finals, and automatically qualify for the U17 World Cup..
Off topic of the thread, but a follow up to this post.... The US U17 team was so close, but still so far..... They were 3 minutes awy from clinching their group and punching their ticket to the 2015 U17 World Cup in Chile. They were leading tournament hosts Honduras 2-1 and gave up an equalizing header in the 87th minute to finish in a draw 2-2. Then they just needed to not lose against Jamaica Wednesday night to still qualify, but ended up losing 1-0 on a PK (handball in the box) in the 57th minute to finish 3rd in their group (behind Honduras and Jamaica). Now they have a one game playoff v. Jamaica (again) with the winner advancing to the World Cup (loser is out). They will be without one of the captains (the defender who was called fo rthe handball picked up his second yellow, so has to sit the next game).

Game is this Sunday 7pm, on Fox Sports 1 (or one of the Fox channels) for those interested in watching.

Reaction Score
Off topic of the thread, but a follow up to this post.... The US U17 team was so close, but still so far..... They were 3 minutes awy from clinching their group and punching their ticket to the 2015 U17 World Cup in Chile. They were leading tournament hosts Honduras 2-1 and gave up an equalizing header in the 87th minute to finish in a draw 2-2. Then they just needed to not lose against Jamaica Wednesday night to still qualify, but ended up losing 1-0 on a PK (handball in the box) in the 57th minute to finish 3rd in their group (behind Honduras and Jamaica). Now they have a one game playoff v. Jamaica (again) with the winner advancing to the World Cup (loser is out). They will be without one of the captains (the defender who was called fo rthe handball picked up his second yellow, so has to sit the next game).

Game is this Sunday 7pm, on Fox Sports 1 (or one of the Fox channels) for those interested in watching.

I've watched 2 of the U-17 matches and most of the U-20 Matches a month or so ago. Actually pretty entertaining.

It seems like the pendelum has swung for American players. We now have a loads of "technical" guys like Pulisic, Hyndman, Thompson etc. But what we don't have as much of is the athletic types. You could really see how we struggled against Jamaica. Technically we were so much better, but athletically they had enough to keep us from scoring.

For the future we are loaded at center mid. Almost need some of these guys to switch positions. Hyndman, Zelalem, Pulisic, Diskerud, Bradley just to name a few.

Reaction Score
I've watched 2 of the U-17 matches and most of the U-20 Matches a month or so ago. Actually pretty entertaining.

It seems like the pendelum has swung for American players. We now have a loads of "technical" guys like Pulisic, Hyndman, Thompson etc. But what we don't have as much of is the athletic types. You could really see how we struggled against Jamaica. Technically we were so much better, but athletically they had enough to keep us from scoring.

For the future we are loaded at center mid. Almost need some of these guys to switch positions. Hyndman, Zelalem, Pulisic, Diskerud, Bradley just to name a few.
U17's advance to the 2015 World Cup in Chile. They beat Jamaica in PK's. It was 0-0 end of regulation. At least one of my teams won today.

Costa Rica beat Canada in the first match to advance also. They join Mexico and Honduras to rep CONCACAF.

Reaction Score
U17's advance to the 2015 World Cup in Chile. They beat Jamaica in PK's. It was 0-0 end of regulation. At least one of my teams won today.

Costa Rica beat Canada in the first match to advance also. They join Mexico and Honduras to rep CONCACAF.

I literally switched over in time to watch the last two PKs. Galaxy/Timbers was the best match I saw all weekend.

Jamaica must be a really bad match up for us.

Reaction Score
I literally switched over in time to watch the last two PKs. Galaxy/Timbers was the best match I saw all weekend.

Jamaica must be a really bad match up for us.
I watched the final 10 minutes, both teams looked completely gassed, but US had a few chances and the better of the play. Apparently no 30 minutes overtime in U17's b/c they went straight to PK's after regulation. Jamaica's keeper saved the first US shot, Jamaica's shooter missed their 2nd attempt. Everyone else converted. Then, as you know, it went to a 6th shooter, US converted their 5th in a row and Jamaica missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom