Mitch Vingle: WVU and the ACC, football odds and hoops | The Boneyard

Mitch Vingle: WVU and the ACC, football odds and hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Probably worst case scenario for us is WVU somehow to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Christ, if I had a dollar for every time someone from WVU talked about conference realignment and the Mountaineers, I'd be rich. Of all the conference realignment "people" they are by far the craziest.

pj

Reaction Score
ACC would always prefer us to WVU. WVU's best chance is not ND joining in full, it's a good-sized meteor falling on the campus of BC or Wake.

Reaction Score
Although this article is essentially a throw away piece, it does make you remember just how foolish The ACC has been throughout conference realignment. They easily could have added WVU, a state flag ship with a regional following and solid history in football when The Big East was collapsing. Academics and fit were cited as reasons for turning down The Neers at the time. The comedy played out later when The ACC accepted Louisville, a city school with inferior academics and football to fill the void left by Maryland. Brilliant.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
ACC would always prefer us to WVU. WVU's best chance is not ND joining in full, it's a good-sized meteor falling on the campus of BC or Wake.

That's not true. If FSU and Clemson once again grab control of alignment decisions....WVU would be their pick. ACC is not the "we care about athletics" conference anymore. Any they have shown they aren't as concerned about tv markets as they are with making FSU and Clemson happy.

Maybe I am just suffering from PTCRS (post traumatic conference re-alignment syndrome), but I can easily see the ACC making the wrong call and inviting WVU over UConn.

Reaction Score
That's not true. If FSU and Clemson once again grab control of alignment decisions....WVU would be their pick. ACC is not the "we care about athletics" conference anymore. Any they have shown they aren't as concerned about tv markets as they are with making FSU and Clemson happy.

Maybe I am just suffering from PTCRS (post traumatic conference re-alignment syndrome), but I can easily see the ACC making the wrong call and inviting WVU over UConn.

It would basically be the exact same thing as inviting Louisville over us. WVU is technically a state flagship, but it's of a pretty marginal state, and their #2 in their home market (Pittsburgh).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If the local columnist is pushing WVU to the ACC, I guess WVU to the SEC is truly a non-starter.

pj

Reaction Score

I think you are missing the reality that has dawned on the ACC since their last expansion. After FSU and Clemson had their anti-Tobacco Road anti-basketball anti-Yankee temper tantrum, the value of TV markets and academics has become crystal clear, also the ephemeral nature of football success for this mid-tier schools. If FSU and Clemson had a do-over, they would take UConn in the last round. When their next opportunity comes, they aren't going to choose the flagship of a state of 1.8 million people far from population centers over the flagship of a state of 3.6 million people next door to New York and Boston which also has hugely valuable secondary sports, and moreover is more highly regarded academically.

You need to get that PTCRS treated!

Reaction Score
FSU guys have had a certain kinship with WVU....Bobby Bowden came to FSU from the Mountaineers, his sons grew up in Morgantown, his daughter married a WVU football player who became a GA at FSU and then a coach at Morgantown High School.

Jimbo Fisher is a West Virginia native as is offensive line coach Rick Trickett.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing though. FSU and Clemson to the extent they had leverage it was that they would leave for the SEC/B12. Someone calls their bluff this time and they'll fold. If Tobacco Rd had done that last time they'd have won too. Instead they faltered and ended up with a whorehouse quite literally.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UL is a gateway drug to other bad academic schools - once you invite them, harder drugs are easier to rationalize.

A bigger issue might be Pittsburgh. Both schools essentially share a market.

Reaction Score
The ACC will do....what ESPN tells them to do.

It is a game of "Mother, may I?"

Just as it is in the Big 12...except that they have a Mother and Stepmother to ask "May I?"

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The ACC will do....what ESPN tells them to do.

It is a game of "Mother, may I?"

Just as it is in the Big 12...except that they have a Mother and Stepmother to ask "May I?"
ESPN told the ACC to add Syracuse and UConn, and we all know how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom