Miss Maya and Miss Kaleena | The Boneyard

Miss Maya and Miss Kaleena

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From John A.:

"Everyone in the world has a body-double. Of course, you hope yours eventually shows up on the cover of GQ or Glamour as opposed to Weight Watchers Magazine or Field and Stream's special issue: The Best Place to Hunt Moose.

"Look at Miss Maya and Kaleena Lewis-Mosqueda (sic), the UConn freshman, and tell me these two didn't spawn from the same gene pool. It is remarkable; same big eyes, same basic body type, same number (23), same jump shot, same All-American pedigree. Hey fans, you didn't lose Maya. You got her kid sister."

Actually, "Miss Kaleena" doesn't sound right. I've seen her shoot, and she doesn't miss.

Note to John--If she has an All-American pedigree, which she does, you gotta get the name right. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is really going to give some people nightmares as it seems Maya continues at UConn for 8 years.

One of the first things I noticed about Kaleena three years ago was her resemblance to Maya.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is really going to give some people nightmares as it seems Maya continues at UConn for 8 years.

One of the first things I noticed about Kaleena three years ago was her resemblance to Maya.
The casual observer will see number 23 making 3-pointers in bunches and wonder how long that kid has been playing at UConn. I love it!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I guess TN will not play us for another 4 years;)
HA good one!

from what i've seen and read so far, it seems that the comparison is a good one however... KML lacks Maya's athleticism and defensive prowess, but she is a superior ball handler and shooter at similar points in their careers. i'm sure KML feels the weight of expectations on her shoulders and the "moore" the comparisons are made, the higher the expectations will be. not saying that's a bad thing, but it's sure going to be fun to watch this young lady over the next 4 years...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping John A. doesn't refer to "Miss Kaleena" for the next four years.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
HA good one!

from what i've seen and read so far, it seems that the comparison is a good one however... KML lacks Maya's athleticism and defensive prowess, but she is a superior ball handler and shooter at similar points in their careers. i'm sure KML feels the weight of expectations on her shoulders and the "moore" the comparisons are made, the higher the expectations will be. not saying that's a bad thing, but it's sure going to be fun to watch this young lady over the next 4 years...

There are also expectations associated with uniform number 23.

This said, Kaleena specifically asked for the number and is confident she can do it justice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping John A. doesn't refer to "Miss Kaleena" for the next four years.

Forget John A., I'd prefer we not hear either Bob Joyce or Bob Picozzi utter those two words together very often during the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
You have to admire the chutzpah of a young woman who would bulldoze over the objections of the Great Maya Moore to grab the #32 jersey before its even cold.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I love that KML was willing to come to UConn despite the distance, the work involved, the pressure of expectations, etc., and then took a number that belonged to the greatest men's player and one of the greatest women's players of all time.

I just hope she's given some room to breathe and develop. Maya basically hit the ground running, but not everyone develops at that pace, even high school #1s.

But from Day 1, she's going to be in an offense that will allow her plenty of open shots. If you can shoot, you can shoot. And she can shoot. Her shooting will extend defenses and allow for slashers like Tiff and low post players like Stef to be more effective as well. UConn doesn't need KML to be Maya. Being KML will be more than good enough.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Well, I'm just ready for the season to start and see "Miss Kaleena" in action!!!!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I love that KML was willing to come to UConn despite the distance, the work involved, the pressure of expectations, etc., and then took a number that belonged to the greatest men's player and one of the greatest women's players of all time.

I just hope she's given some room to breathe and develop. Maya basically hit the ground running, but not everyone develops at that pace, even high school #1s.

But from Day 1, she's going to be in an offense that will allow her plenty of open shots. If you can shoot, you can shoot. And she can shoot. Her shooting will extend defenses and allow for slashers like Tiff and low post players like Stef to be more effective as well. UConn doesn't need KML to be Maya. Being KML will be more than good enough.

+1, Alex. Your perspective is just right -- for both KML and all UConn fans.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
You have to admire the chutzpah of a young woman who would bulldoze over the objections of the Great Maya Moore to grab the #32 jersey before its even cold.

JS

Reaction Score
Face double, OK. Body double, NO! Hard body versus soft body type.
I remember reading on the SoCal Hoops board when Diana was in high school that she wouldn't be such a star in college because of her pudginess -- particularly that her heavy thighs made her slow. It didn't take long at UConn for her to develop a chiseled bod, and look at her now.

One can argue whether body "types" are inevitable. Certainly there are those like Kaili for whom physical progress is always a struggle. But I don't know whether that's because of a body type or because of attitudinal factors.

In any event, I'd say that for the majority you see clear results from the college level training program within the first year or two, and the refinements continue indefinitely.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sorry, but the number of the greatest men's basketball player was #6. And talk about confidence, how about Tiffany Hayes wanting #3, Babe Ruth's old number.

Ruth wore #3and Gehrig #4 because when they first started to put numbers on uniforms, they used the players' place in the batting order.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I remember reading on the SoCal Hoops board when Diana was in high school that she wouldn't be such a star in college because of her pudginess -- particularly that her heavy thighs made her slow. It didn't take long at UConn for her to develop a chiseled bod, and look at her now.

One can argue whether body "types" are inevitable. Certainly there are those like Kaili for whom physical progress is always a struggle. But I don't know whether that's because of a body type or because of attitudinal factors.

In any event, I'd say that for the majority you see clear results from the college level training program within the first year or two, and the refinements continue indefinitely.
To your point...from John's blog/interview with Geno on physical changes he sees in Bria and Stef:

"The two players who have made the most progress, and not unexpectedly, are Stefanie and Bria. Following your freshman year is the time when your body changes the most, the time when coaches normally see the biggest improvement. And that's the case with both of them. You watch their workouts and compare where Stefanie and Bria were in October of last year, to where they are this year, and its night and day.

"Physically, Bria has gotten much stronger and her entire approach has changed. But for Stefanie, she has changed physically, her approach has changed and her expectations have dramatically changed. I'd be surprised if Stefanie doesn't have a great year. By many standards, she had a great year as a freshman. There is no doubt in my mind that she will build on that."

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Replicant...your optimistic report if true...doesn't bode will for the opposition. I mean we have lost arguably the best woman player to ever wear a UConn uniform as well as her little side-kick Lorin. All of us know that we can not replace Maya...she was a unique player, a single player replacing her exact skill set is not realistic. However, UConn has always been known for its teamwork. Teamwork is exactly what will be needed this year for UConn to make a realistic run at a championship. Replacing Maya by committee is indeed possible, however, it requires a number of players stepping up. Bria and Stefanie were valuable contributors to last year's effort but given the fact that they were only freshmen, they were only just beginning to tap into their true potential. If what you say regarding their progress is true...many of us, me included will have to adjust our expectations for them as well as UConn as a team. When one sits down with a pencil and begins to assign numbers to the players based on their performance from last year and then you include the potential of the three freshmen coming in this season...it is hard to project anything but a high scoring team. This team will score a lot of points in a hurry. Geno will try to take his foot off the gas and he will insert the reserves but this years bench will be much better than last years nearly non-existent bench. It will be hard to keep the score down. Three point shooting will be impressive and as some have said it will make life easier for the slashers and post players. There will be many high scoring games...I think we will see something in the 86 point range fairly consistently. This is troublesome for the opposition because their game plan will include two things: 1. Trying to keep UConn under 80 points. 2. Trying to figure out how to score in the mid-eighties themselves (not too many teams will be able to do that against UConn). Additionally, if UConn is able to put a suffocating man to man defense on their opponents it could get ugly real quick for some teams. I believe that this year's team because of its improved depth will concentrate on using a very tough man to man defense. They will press often and for great lengths of time. This will be the first area that Geno will back off of when his team starts blowing another team out. He will back of the press and go to a half-court pick up your man and maybe even some zone in an effort to keep the score respectable... I suspect he will not have as much success in this area that he would like and despite his efforts to not run the score up....it will be unavoidable.

UConn returns from Last Year - 59.3 points; 29 rebounds

Tiffany Hayes - 13.7 points; 4.6 rebounds
*Stefanie Dolson - 13.6 points; 7.3 rebounds *her average for the last 16 games.
Bria Hartley - 12.4 points; 3.6 rebounds
Kelly Faris - 7.8 points: 6.7 rebounds
*Caroline Doty - 6.8 points; 2.5 rebounds *her average for the 2009 - 2010 season
Heather Buck - 2.0 points; 2.1 rebounds
Laura Engeln - 1.6 points; .7 rebounds
Michala Johnson - 1.3 points; 1.5 rebounds

If UConn is going to average 86 points a game, they will need to get 26.7 points and if UConn would like to match their 42.2 rebounds per game they will need to get 13.2 rebounds from a combination of their returning players and their three incoming freshmen.

If we conservatively assign rebounds and points to the incoming freshmen we can determine what we will need from our returning players.

Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis - 12 points and 4 rebounds
Brianna Banks - 7 points and 2 rebounds
Kia Stokes - 4 points and 5 rebounds

This brings our totals to: 82.3 points and 40 rebounds. Therefore in order to achieve 86 points a game and 42 rebounds a game we would only need 3.7 points and 2 rebounds from our returning players. I am pretty confident that between Bria, Stefanie, Tiffany and Kelly, that this task will be easily accomplished and probably exceeded.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno did not want to press last year, because our numbers were limited. This year, we can. Brianna is a great defender. Kiah has a huge wingspan. Kaleena has good positioning and quick hands.

Next year with Breanna's 6'10" wingspan and Moriah's speed, well it's just insane.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno did not want to press last year, because our numbers were limited. This year, we can. Brianna is a great defender. Kiah has a huge wingspan. Kaleena has good positioning and quick hands.

Next year with Breanna's 6'10" wingspan and Moriah's speed, well it's just insane.

Kind of like, crazy good..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger