Minneapolis | The Boneyard

Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking like 2018. That's great news, so glad they spurned the Vikings bid.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wish they'd scrap the LA and ATL bid too. Can't stand teams in NFL stadiums and two franchises in LA has already failed. Why go for round two?

Reaction Score
Tangentially related, but the NASL signed a deal that puts all of their games on ESPN 3. Not a terrible deal.

Reaction Score
Wish they'd scrap the LA and ATL bid too. Can't stand teams in NFL stadiums and two franchises in LA has already failed. Why go for round two?

Completely agree. I am happy that MSP is getting a team, provided that the Vikings owner is not the winner. That would be a good move by MLS to open a new market that has a solid soccer fan base (maybe this will motivate U Minn to add men's soccer instead of everyone in Minn going to Wisconsin and Creighton to play D1 college soccer?).

I also agree that MLS should drop LA #2, its failed before and will fail again, and soccer (Atlanta) in a football stadium is foolish, unless you live in Seattle. The Miami bid needs to go away, too. MLS should focus on improving on-field play, its expansion teams in Orlando & MSP and finding a real home for DC United (tentative deal in place I believe) and the Revs.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. I am happy that MSP is getting a team, provided that the Vikings owner is not the winner. That would be a good move by MLS to open a new market that has a solid soccer fan base (maybe this will motivate U Minn to add men's soccer instead of everyone in Minn going to Wisconsin and Creighton to play D1 college soccer?).

I also agree that MLS should drop LA #2, its failed before and will fail again, and soccer (Atlanta) in a football stadium is foolish, unless you live in Seattle. The Miami bid needs to go away, too. MLS should focus on improving on-field play, its expansion teams in Orlando & MSP and finding a real home for DC United (tentative deal in place I believe) and the Revs.

It's a done deal. Minnesota United of the NASL is the winning bid. MLS didn't want anything to do with the Vikings apparently and they awarded the franchise to them to help out with the politics. Minn United has backing from the Timberwolves and the Twins as investors which is pretty interesting.

Pretty good considering four years ago this club was basically on life support and the NASL had to step in and save it.

The wrinkle is that the Mayor of Minneapolis isn't too keen on building another stadium in the city and in the end the stadium will likely get built with private funding.

LA2 won't die. the ownership group is too big and influential. They are looking to build a stadium around Solvang. They paid MLS 125 million for the spot so that check isn't about to be returned.

I read somewhere that Miami has until July to get a stadium plan or else the plug is being pulled.

How messed up is the Miami organization? It sounds like amateur hour even if the people involved are wealthy and powerful.

Read this: http://reprints.longform.org/howler-miami-marcelo-claure

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Solvang? That's a heck of a drive!

I just hope they don't keep the name LAFC. I agree Chivas's marketing strategy was a mistake, but Deportivo or Atleticò de Los Angeles is so much cooler than LAFC.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that Kroenke isn't offering to build the stadium on the land where he's supposedly moving the Rams to. I thought I read that there might be room for set up for 2 teams to play in the stadium. Maybe he could find some room to fit a soccer stadium on that land? In the end, I wish they'd end LA but as Zoo said, it's not likely.

I do think that Miami would have potential but I think they should let Orlando ride it out and carry the Florida market for now.

I thought DC was a done deal for their new stadium. However I just saw that there's going to be a public hearing on June 26. I think that would be a a great spot for the stadium. The Nats stadium is currently surrounded by not much. Seeing them add this stadium to the area would really help it flourish.

Reaction Score
DC United: Unless there's some concern about construction, there's absolutely nothing tentative regarding their soccer-specific stadium. Done deal, all approvals in hand.
LA 2 in Solvang: UC Santa Barbara's often a good college team, but suggestions of building an LA 2 stadium in Solvang must be a joke! Some areas of downtown LA are hot and ridiculously pricey, but there must be some less costly, run down industrial area versus opting for Solvang. Hey, at least it's removed from Carson.
Miami: Maybe Beckham and company need to get realistic and target a more realistic location.
Minnesota: Good for the Minneapolis mayor and taxpayers. Let the owners and MLS find and pay for their own*%&#@ stadium. Nice city, but wow those late and early season practices and games might not attract some players and fans alike. Heaters? ;)

Reaction Score
Minnesota: Good for the Minneapolis mayor and taxpayers. Let the owners and MLS find and pay for their own*%&#@ stadium. Nice city, but wow those late and early season practices and games might not attract some players and fans alike. Heaters? ;)

Its called home field advantage, just ask the Costa Ricans :)

Reaction Score
Heated field for sure in Minnesota. Those things are awesome. Definitely will have a bubble to practice in. I bet they have Target on their jerseys.

Miami is not a good sports town. Maybe they should bring Pitbull and Flo-rida in as part owners. That would fix everything.

Reaction Score
Oh and Solvang was a joke guys:) I hear they want a team in Flint, Michigan too. Go Tropics!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Rendering of LAFC's stadium plans next to the Coliseum:
lafcrendering.jpg

LAFC's Stadium Deal And What It Means For Minnesota, MLS Expansion

Re: branding:
LAFC’s ownership group, led by Nguyen, former NBA executive Tom Penn and Mandalay Entertainment chairman and CEO Peter Guber, had indicated that progress on a stadium was needed before the club settled on a brand. The Times on Sunday quoted Penn, LAFC’s president, as saying, "It became clear we had to make this decision first. Because then every other decision became easier." As of now, LAFC is expected to stick with that name and the black and red colors featured prominently at Monday’s event, on the stadium renderings and on its website.

Garber added, “Los Angeles is coming into our league and they are either ’17 or ’18 and Minnesota will be either ’17 or ’18.”

Could United start life in MLS in 2017 at its current home, the 8,500-seat National Sports Center in suburban Blaine? Upgrades on seating and lighting would be required. It would be a similar setting to Buck Shaw Stadium, where the San Jose Earthquakes played from 2008 through last season. The strength of United’s existing brand and fan base might make that feasible. But there’s no guarantee the club will be allowed to keep that brand.

Existing teams entering MLS from another league have changed their logo for trademark reasons, and there’s some concern at MLS that two teams called ‘United’ might create confusion.

Uh... but two teams called City is fine? Well, I have noticed media people call them "NYC/NYCFC" or "Orlando", not so much "City" for whatever reason. And they both entered the same year whereas DCU has been going by United since the league started. *shrug* MLS could use a club named "AC" or "Athletic" IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm ready for an American style name. Too many teams with "city" and "fc".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tangentially related, but the NASL signed a deal that puts all of their games on ESPN 3. Not a terrible deal.

All of the games on or they own all the games and show what they care to show?

Reaction Score
All of the games on or they own all the games and show what they care to show?

I think they have all of the games minus the NY Cosmos home games which are on the "One World Sports" TV Network. Which I am pretty sure nobody gets.

If you look through the Watch ESPN App you'll see them in the archives. They basically just rebroadcast the Local Networks. I think they are working a deal to get The Soccer Bowl on actual national TV.

Reaction Score
I agree. I hope Minnesota get to keep their entire color scheme and logo package. It's very slick and I like the blue they use.

minnesota-united_wide.jpg

Agree, its much better than that bird that Tottenham uses on their crest :cool:

Reaction Score
How about a club in the US called Football Union Qatar. Initializing the first two words sends a nice message in my opinion. ;)

Reaction Score
How about a club in the US called Football Union Qatar. Initializing the first two words sends a nice message in my opinion. ;)
After FIFA already FUQ'd the US for 2022, that's about enough most Yanks are willing to accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom