Miles out at LSU; Houston bulk ordering xanax | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Miles out at LSU; Houston bulk ordering xanax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't see that as one of the best jobs at all. The SEC is the toughest conference as far as how they treat coaches. Most schools would rename the stadium and build a monument if they could get similar achievements to Miles at LSU, they almost fired him last season in a really embarrassing saga and now this just a few games into the season, that's ruthless. With Saban in the SEC west for the foreseeable future that is not a good spot for a coach looking for long term stability.

I think you will see smart coaches do what Fuente did last year. They will wait for an opportunity where the probability of being successful is high. Being in the ACC opposite of FSU, Clemson, and Louisville is a great spot to win. Great opportunity to win the division regularly, fanbase that is ok with winning 8 games a year, fanbase that sticks with a coach for the long haul, commitment to the program, good recruiting area, etc... V-Tech is a great job in many ways.

LSU you wank in with the expectation to win the SEC in 2 years and a NC in 5 or you are likely fired. Could be fired earlier if something goes wrong, like a last second loss, bad call, etc... and a game is lost that the alumni think they should have won. Fanbase that has no loyalty, even to a proven winner. Unlikely to win division until Saban retires.

IMO there will be much better jobs/situations than LSU. I'm already convinced that Briles will be hired at LSU.
There's tons of talent in LA and they all want to go to LSU. It's like a free pass plus if you can steal recruits from Texas and AL the recruiting classes will be unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Yes really. I already gave you a list of reasons why.

Have you not watched how LSU has treated him? Nobody wants to work for a school who pulled that stunt last season and now this.

Winning a division championship is much easier for V-Tech than LSU. Moving forward with Saban And Freeze in the division winning the SEC West is going to be really difficult. Just think about it. Being better than UNC and Miami or being better than Bama and Ole Miss. Pretty easy to see which is more likely to happen.

V-Tech will give you an extension/raise for 8 wins. LSU will fire you for 8 wins.
VTech will give you time to build a program with going to a bowl being good enough for a couple years. LSU will expect instant success and likely fire you in year 2 or 3 if things have not turned around, won a SEC CC, and play for a NC.
For a young coach going to LSU it's much more likely that they get fired than it is they stay for 10 years and build up a reputation for themselves. Why would you wank into a situation that has so many cards stacked against you when there are better situations out there. Look at something like USC, much better job.

I would guess that LSU pays more than VT.
Also easier recruiting.

Reaction Score
There's tons of talent in LA and they all want to go to LSU. It's like a free pass plus if you can steal recruits from Texas and AL the recruiting classes will be unbelievable.
You guys are living in fantasy land. The LSU job has not preven to be a stable position in recent history. And LSU is not some dominant team like you make them out to be. They have 14 SEC championship going back to 1896, that's it, with all that so called talent. 5 Since the BCS era and 2.99 of those are because of the greatest coach in the modern era. That's hardly a trend

Smart coaches are going to look for great situations where they can stay for long periods and build a program/legacy. See turkey neck, Snyder, Patterson, Stoops, Dantonio, for great examples where coaches can set themselves up for long term success.

It's much better than dealing with unrealistic expectations and your job being in jeopardy every game like it would be at LSU. Knowing your life is one fumble away from being turned upside down is no way to live. Going in to LSU you know that you probably have 2 years to win a CC or you are fired. Chances of even lasting a decade are very slim. It's a short term money grab that likely end with being fired within a few years unless you plan on regularly beating the greatest coach in history.

I'd gladly bet on Fuente lasting longer at VTEch than whoever gets hired at LSU.

Reaction Score
I would guess that LSU pays more than VT.
Also easier recruiting.

So if its' so good why can't' anybody but the greatest coach in history win there?
Year Conference Coach Overall Record Conference Record

1988† SEC Mike Archer 8–4 6–1
2001 SEC Nick Saban 10–3 5–3
2003 SEC Nick Saban 13–1 7–1
2007 SEC Les Miles 12–2 6–2
2011 SEC Les Miles 13–1 8–0

1995† Big East 10–2 6–1
1996† Big East 10–2 6–1
1999 Big East 11–1 7–0
2004 ACC 10–3 7–1
2007* ACC 11–3 8–1
2008* ACC 10–4 6–3
2010* ACC 11–2 9–0

Reaction Score
So if its' so good why can't' anybody but the greatest coach in history win there?
Year Conference Coach Overall Record Conference Record

1988† SEC Mike Archer 8–4 6–1
2001 SEC Nick Saban 10–3 5–3
2003 SEC Nick Saban 13–1 7–1
2007 SEC Les Miles 12–2 6–2
2011 SEC Les Miles 13–1 8–0

1995† Big East 10–2 6–1
1996† Big East 10–2 6–1
1999 Big East 11–1 7–0
2004 ACC 10–3 7–1
2007* ACC 11–3 8–1
2008* ACC 10–4 6–3
2010* ACC 11–2 9–0

If the sole criteria is to find a job where you can have a high winning percentage, everyone would want to coach at North Dakota St or Mount Union.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah...I don't think Kelly is going to move this season either.

I do think Lane Kiffin has a real shot at the LSU job also.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah...I don't think Kelly is going to move this season either.

I do think Lane Kiffin has a real shot at the LSU job also.

Interesting, given that he wasn't great at USC, and they will likely have an opening too. I think they will get Herman, then Houston might go for Kiffin.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Kelly will get a pass this season...but if things don't change next year he will be done

No, he won't. As soon as your AD forces you to fire one of your assistants, you are done. Jack Swarbrick forced Brian Kelly to fire his DC VanGorder. He's as good as gone.

BTW - There are a couple of ND Insiders that are saying he's gone as well.

Top jobs available this coming off season:

LSU, Texas, USC, Notre Dame and maybe even Auburn.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No, he won't. As soon as your AD forces you to fire one of your assistants, you are done. Jack Swarbrick forced Brian Kelly to fire his DC VanGorder. He's as good as gone.

I know ND is arrogant but who can they get that's a better fit than Kelly?

Reaction Score

Yeah we knew that here with Pasqualoni and his BFF DeLeone. I'd still be shocked if Kelly is fired after this season unless they win only 5 games

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

To them, anybody. Brian Kelly is very unpopular there with many boosters and fans. As Terry said earlier, he didn't have the P5 experience that they wanted when he was hired. When he was at Central Michigan, he taught a theory of football class. Many thought he was an &$$ and really weren't all that upset when he left. His purple faced tirades haven't changed many opinions. It also might be why his team has quit on him.

While I agree with the sentiment that they won't find a better fit, it isn't about what I think. If they want to find someone better than him, than go for it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
To them, anybody. Brian Kelly is very unpopular there with many boosters and fans. As Terry said earlier, he didn't have the P5 experience that they wanted when he was hired. When he was at Central Michigan, he taught a theory of football class. Many thought he was an &$$ and really weren't all that upset when he left. His purple faced tirades haven't changed many opinions. It also might be why his team has quit on him.

While I agree with the sentiment that they won't find a better fit, it isn't about what I think. If they want to find someone better than him, than go for it.
One of my favorite things on Saturdays is the camera shots of Kelly chewing out his players as they come off the field. Walking heart attack.

Reaction Score

Georgia fired its coach last year. LSU just fired a guy that went 114-34 with a national title. Oklahoma may fire Stoops. Texas may fire Strong.

Lots of schools fire coaches. Who would any of those schools get that may be a "better fit" than the guy they just fired?

Who knows unless/until they try, right?

But....ND is "arrogant" if it replaces Brian Kelly? Ok.....

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Georgia fired its coach last year. LSU just fired a guy that went 114-34 with a national title. Oklahoma may fire Stoops. Texas may fire Strong.

Lots of schools fire coaches. Who would any of those schools get that may be a "better fit" than the guy they just fired?

Who knows unless/until they try, right?

But....ND is "arrogant" if it replaces Brian Kelly? Ok.....
He's been your most successful coach in the past 30 years, no? I think he's gotten the most out of his teams up until now. As one of our posters used to say about replacing Edsall (before he left), 3 things can happen with a new hire, either he's better, worse, or equal. So what are the odds you will do better? What hire is getting you back to the championship game?

Reaction Score
He's been your most successful coach in the past 30 years, no? I think he's gotten the most out of his teams up until now. As one of our posters used to say about replacing Edsall (before he left), 3 things can happen with a new hire, either he's better, worse, or equal. So what are the odds you will do better? What hire is getting you back to the championship game?

20 years, not 30 (Holtz was forced out by the ND administration in 1996).

I still am not convinced that Kelly will be out after this season. He was 54-20 at ND coming into this season. He might get another season to turn things around.

I hope he does. But, he may have indeed plateaued at ND.

All of ND's legendary coaches (Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Devine, Holtz) won national championships in their third year at ND. Kelly got them to the championship game in this third year, but lost big and has not been back.

So, the alumni have him on the other coaching career track than "legendary".

Combine that with the fact that about half the fan base has never been on board with him, plus this 1-3 start and.................

Who will get ND back to the championship game? Hell, I don't know. Maybe nobody, ever. But, maybe there is someone out there who can.

That is Jack Swarbrick's job. He better have a short list and be making contact behind the scenes if a change is to be made.

But, to your point:

Hell, why should any school hire a new coach, then? It is too risky. Under that theory, you guys should have kept Paul Pasqualoni. (and no, I am not equating Pasqualoni's record at UConn with Kelly's at ND, just making a point)

The UConn coaching search may have ended up hitting either of the last two of your coaching search trifecta.

Why did you guys take such a risky chance? I know. For the chance to hire a better coach who would get better results.

That is what ND fans want too.

(P.S. I have lived in Baton Rouge for 33 years. I have seen LSU football in the late Eighties and the Nineties when it had 8 of 11 losing seasons. LSU has not always been good. They went from 1958 until 2004 between national championships. They just fired a coach that was 114-34 with a NC. Just about every Tigah fan is happy that LSU fired him and are salivating at the chance to get Tom Herman. If it is ok for LSU to fire Miles, why not ND firing Kelly? Is LSU "arrogant"?)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
20 years, not 30 (Holtz was forced out by the ND administration in 1996).

I still am not convinced that Kelly will be out after this season. He was 54-20 at ND coming into this season. He might get another season to turn things around.

I hope he does. But, he may have indeed plateaued at ND.

All of ND's legendary coaches (Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Devine, Holtz) won national championships in their third year at ND. Kelly got them to the championship game in this third year, but lost big and has not been back.

So, the alumni have him on the other coaching career track than "legendary".

Combine that with the fact that about half the fan base has never been on board with him, plus this 1-3 start and.......

Who will get ND back to the championship game? Hell, I don't know. Maybe nobody, ever. But, maybe there is someone out there who can.

That is Jack Swarbrick's job. He better have a short list and be making contact behind the scenes if a change is to be made.

But, to your point:

Hell, why should any school hire a new coach, then? It is too risky. Under that theory, you guys should have kept Paul Pasqualoni. (and no, I am not equating Pasqualoni's record at UConn with Kelly's at ND, just making a point)

The UConn coaching search may have ended up hitting either of the last two of your coaching search trifecta.

Why did you guys take such a risky chance? I know. For the chance to hire a better coach who would get better results.

That is what ND fans want too.

(P.S. I have lived in Baton Rouge for 33 years. I have seen LSU football in the late Eighties and the Nineties when it had 8 of 11 losing seasons. LSU has not always been good. They went from 1958 until 2004 between national championships. They just fired a coach that was 114-34 with a NC. Just about every Tigah fan is happy that LSU fired him and are salivating at the chance to get Tom Herman. If it is ok for LSU to fire Miles, why not ND firing Kelly? Is LSU "arrogant"?)
Perhaps arrogant is the wrong word, but delusional doesn't quite fit either. Can LSU get better results than Miles? Maybe, but I doubt it, citing the historical record you just laid out. UConn with Pasqualoni is a different, easier decision because he was just so bad. Getting equal or better performance from a new hire was much higher odds.

And thinking each hire should result in a Legendary coach (National Championship in third year) is arrogant, in today's college football landscape which is designed to favor the P5 champions.

Reaction Score
If you want to see where Herman goes just watch Texas vs Oklahoma St. on Saturday. Should the Horns lose--Herman will be Texas' coach next year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Now Pete Thamel is saying that Charlie Strong is pretty much gone.
Georgia, Oregon and Auburn could join USC, UT and LSU. Thamel runs down all the musical chairs.

Every school wants to win, but it really isn't possible.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And they are piling on. The ESPN take is here from Jake Trotter.

I think UT doesn't want to miss out to LSU on the Tom Herman sweepstakes.

Reaction Score
Georgia, Oregon and Auburn could join USC, UT and LSU. Thamel runs down all the musical chairs.

Oregon could end up being the jewel out of all these jobs. The question then becomes do they go the Scott Frost route or do they use Phil Knight's checkbook to go big game hunting.

Don't be shocked if we see Chip Kelly Part 2

Reaction Score
Oregon could end up being the jewel out of all these jobs. The question then becomes do they go the Scott Frost route or do they use Phil Knight's checkbook to go big game hunting.

Don't be shocked if we see Chip Kelly Part 2

Doubt the Niners would mind much. Why on earth the took him on after the mess in Philly, which is now 3 and 0 without him, is mind boggling.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't put Kirby Smart at UGA on this list in his first season starting a freshman QB. The SEC East SUCKS and he's recruiting at a very high level. He'll be given some time to get things going. UT and USC are locks to be looking for new coaches, with Auburn around 50/50 depending how their season plays out. I suspect that Helfrich will be given more time as he did take them to a title game a few years ago and he's dealing with a lot of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom