Miles out at LSU; Houston bulk ordering xanax | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Miles out at LSU; Houston bulk ordering xanax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't see that as one of the best jobs at all. The SEC is the toughest conference as far as how they treat coaches. Most schools would rename the stadium and build a monument if they could get similar achievements to Miles at LSU, they almost fired him last season in a really embarrassing saga and now this just a few games into the season, that's ruthless. With Saban in the SEC west for the foreseeable future that is not a good spot for a coach looking for long term stability.

I think you will see smart coaches do what Fuente did last year. They will wait for an opportunity where the probability of being successful is high. Being in the ACC opposite of FSU, Clemson, and Louisville is a great spot to win. Great opportunity to win the division regularly, fanbase that is ok with winning 8 games a year, fanbase that sticks with a coach for the long haul, commitment to the program, good recruiting area, etc... V-Tech is a great job in many ways.

LSU you wank in with the expectation to win the SEC in 2 years and a NC in 5 or you are likely fired. Could be fired earlier if something goes wrong, like a last second loss, bad call, etc... and a game is lost that the alumni think they should have won. Fanbase that has no loyalty, even to a proven winner. Unlikely to win division until Saban retires.

IMO there will be much better jobs/situations than LSU. I'm already convinced that Briles will be hired at LSU.

Reaction Score
I don't see that as one of the best jobs at all. The SEC is the toughest conference as far as how they treat coaches. Most schools would rename the stadium and build a monument if they could get similar achievements to Miles at LSU, they almost fired him last season in a really embarrassing saga and now this just a few games into the season, that's ruthless. With Saban in the SEC west for the foreseeable future that is not a good spot for a coach looking for long term stability.

I think you will see smart coaches do what Fuente did last year. They will wait for an opportunity where the probability of being successful is high. Being in the ACC opposite of FSU, Clemson, and Louisville is a great spot to win. Great opportunity to win the division regularly, fanbase that is ok with winning 8 games a year, fanbase that sticks with a coach for the long haul, commitment to the program, good recruiting area, etc... V-Tech is a great job in many ways.

LSU you wank in with the expectation to win the SEC in 2 years and a NC in 5 or you are likely fired. Could be fired earlier if something goes wrong, like a last second loss, bad call, etc... and a game is lost that the alumni think they should have won. Fanbase that has no loyalty, even to a proven winner. Unlikely to win division until Saban retires.

IMO there will be much better jobs/situations than LSU. I'm already convinced that Briles will be hired at LSU.
It's nice to see you back here OkieLite!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The part you are missing is "we have been peeling..." does not include you.

It's like you come to a party, 4 hours after it started and think you know everyone and act like you've been buddies with everyone for years.

Back to the women's BB board now, would you please?

I can only guess at which member of my invisible boneyard that was written for. I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat. The Good Doctor.

Reaction Score
LSU is a 10x better job than Va Tech, really? LSU can realistically compete for a NC 2-3 out of every 5 years, VA Tech maybe 1 in every 25, if that often.

Yes, more pressure, but isn't that what competitive people want? They have to compete against FSU, Clemson, Miami, Louisville and every now and then GTech, UNC, etc.

Reaction Score
Wow. What a crazy world we live in. Paying Les over 10 million to leave so they can pay the next guy 4-5 million a year.

They like weird, and dirty down there. And there really aren't a lot of big names out there. An offense is what they desperately want. Wonder if Art Briles phone has been ringing. I know the Ken Star endorsement seem to have interesting timing.

While Mr. Star has his laughable and disgusting position (it wasn't our fault, it was the media's!), I don't think university presidents, even in the SEC, will touch Mr. Briles until there is full disclosure of the report that Pepper Hamilton did, which is likely buried in a deep, deep, hole somewhere in Texas. Just too much legal and risk exposure should it be revealed that Coach Briles was more involved in the mess at Baylor than currently believed. A Federal DOJ Title IX investigation is a serious matter, unlike say a NCAA witch-hunt.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
There's a lot of reason to believe Herman would stay if UH went to the B12, not the least of which is his salary jump in his contract. But at this point, how do you evaluate UH if Herman leaves?

Houston's big advantage is location. They have a great recruiting area and a large city. That is still there without Herman. They are the 3rd largest city in the US. It's pretty easy to be sustainable when you have that kind of advantage. They are the anti-Boise St. Herman being a coach there will not impact their decision....that is if they are smart (?).

Reaction Score
LSU is a 10x better job than Va Tech, really? LSU can realistically compete for a NC 2-3 out of every 5 years, VA Tech maybe 1 in every 25, if that often.

Yes, more pressure, but isn't that what competitive people want? They have to compete against FSU, Clemson, Miami, Louisville and every now and then GTech, UNC, etc.

Yes really. I already gave you a list of reasons why.

Have you not watched how LSU has treated him? Nobody wants to work for a school who pulled that stunt last season and now this.

Winning a division championship is much easier for V-Tech than LSU. Moving forward with Saban And Freeze in the division winning the SEC West is going to be really difficult. Just think about it. Being better than UNC and Miami or being better than Bama and Ole Miss. Pretty easy to see which is more likely to happen.

V-Tech will give you an extension/raise for 8 wins. LSU will fire you for 8 wins.
VTech will give you time to build a program with going to a bowl being good enough for a couple years. LSU will expect instant success and likely fire you in year 2 or 3 if things have not turned around, won a SEC CC, and play for a NC.
For a young coach going to LSU it's much more likely that they get fired than it is they stay for 10 years and build up a reputation for themselves. Why would you wank into a situation that has so many cards stacked against you when there are better situations out there. Look at something like USC, much better job.

Reaction Score
While Mr. Star has his laughable and disgusting position (it wasn't our fault, it was the media's!), I don't think university presidents, even in the SEC, will touch Mr. Briles until there is full disclosure of the report that Pepper Hamilton did, which is likely buried in a deep, deep, hole somewhere in Texas. Just too much legal and risk exposure should it be revealed that Coach Briles was more involved in the mess at Baylor than currently believed. A Federal DOJ Title IX investigation is a serious matter, unlike say a NCAA witch-hunt.

You do realize they already contacted him right?
After Les Miles is fired, LSU reportedly reaches out to former Baylor coach Art Briles | SportsDay
After Les Miles is fired, LSU reportedly reaches out to former Baylor coach Art Briles

Reaction Score
Houston's big advantage is location. They have a great recruiting area and a large city. That is still there without Herman. They are the 3rd largest city in the US. It's pretty easy to be sustainable when you have that kind of advantage. They are the anti-Boise St. Herman being a coach there will not impact their decision....that is if they are smart (?).
If their big advantage is location why have they been passed over so many times by the Big 12 and others?

Reaction Score
Good Lawd. Asking that is like asking why was UConn passed over so many times by the B1G and ACC?

Reaction Score
Look above...I think that will the prevailing feeling...if UConn was gonna get left out better for nothing to happen. That should also coincide with no GOR extension and a count down to B-12 implosion.

Gives UConn several years to build football program for the impeding implosion

Reaction Score
Good Lawd. Asking that is like asking why was UConn passed over so many times by the B1G and ACC?
It was a quasi-rhetorical question. The point being, if Herman isn't their big advantage point, then why during the multiple rounds of Big 12 expansion in the past did they not look at UH and their location in the #3 market and take them? My point is that their location is only a minor consideration of their candidacy, it's their football program that suddenly got into the playoff picture under Herman.

Reaction Score

I think Briles goes G5 for a few years as Petrino did.

Reaction Score
It was a quasi-rhetorical question. The point being, if Herman isn't their big advantage point, then why during the multiple rounds of Big 12 expansion in the past did they not look at UH and their location in the #3 market and take them? My point is that their location is only a minor consideration of their candidacy, it's their football program that suddenly got into the playoff picture under Herman.

I see. I agree for the most part but location is still a factor. I think the TV ratings in the Houston TV market as well as nationally have been more impressive from an expansion standpoint than just the wins. I guess I think lots of people knew Houston could be really good but didn't' expect them to be this good or have this good of TV ratings. Essentially they have reset the high water mark for the program.

One interesting thing is to look at thier coaching hires getting 3 out of the lst 4 with excellent candidates along with some great assistants like Kliff Kingsbury and Dana Holgorsen.

Reaction Score
We weren't passed over by the B1G. They have yet to publicly consider us for expansion. We are definitely of interest to them, though.

Reaction Score

WE ARE a far better pick in the long run than BC or Syracuse or Rutgers ... maybe even Pitt. We just lack about a decade of Bigtime Football. Starting in 2003 (essentially) is why we "got passed over". If you think WVU has better long term value as a Football/AD placeholder in a P5 conference, I disagree as well.

Swofford deserves zero respect; Delany (imho) at least had a clear angle to what he did.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe but when it comes to football morals get thrown out the window in the SEC. He is actually a perfect fit for them and I'd be shocked if he weren't successful. I dont' see Hermann as a good fit. He seems more like a Texas guy than a scumbag. LSU needs a scumbag. Petrino might be the next best option but he is in a better situation at Louisville than would be as LSU. Heck a few more years at Louisville and they will probably build a statue and start naming buildings.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I agree that their football program in general has gotten them into consideration...but my point is that the program has been good before Herman...and they have the resources to be good after Herman. I don't think if Herman left tomorrow the Big 12 expansion committee would change their vote on Houston.

Don't forget...Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin were coaches at Houston....and the program succeeded after they left.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The Big 12 will not be expanding. Nothing to see here. :cool:

It's time we start facing the reality here folks. We've been peeling the infected band aid ever so slowly for years.

Time to rip it off, get medical attention and move on.

Someone had to say it. :eek:
You are on record for this. At this point it may be best for us. Still the hope we're on the lifeboat hopes you are wrong.

Reaction Score
What is crazier is that Louisiana faces a $2 Billion budget shortfall 2016-2017 and this is okay for a public university. Yeah donors will cover it but insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom