Mike Cavanaugh: UCONN Hockey Coach? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mike Cavanaugh: UCONN Hockey Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Except the world has changed dramatically since Leetch played college hockey. Virtually every program recruits most of its players from one of the junior leagues. The number of kids going to college programs from prep schools is far fewer than it was then. Just for example, Avon Old Farms has 3 kids who were recruited this year. Two went to AHA programs and 1 to an ECAC school. The New Jersey Hitmen of the EJHL, a Tier III League, had 12, 4 of whom went to ECAC programs, 4 to Hockey East and 1 to the Big 10. You want to recruit the northeast for sure, but Connecticut talent ends up not really being Connecticut talent by the time its ready to be recruited to major college hockey. Those guys have played between 1 and 3-4 years in various junior leagues scattered around the country. The USHL largely in places like Waterloo Iowa, Dubuque, Fargo is the top Tier I league and by most estimates about 80% of the players coming through that league go on to play college hockey.

I don't care whether or not the CT or NE kid who commits to BC or UConn comes from a prep school or from a junior hockey team. Considering the hockey talent in the region, I prefer that my coach has recruiting success in the area because the hockey talent in this region is stronger than football talent.

From what I've read, Cavanaugh has done well recruiting CT, New England and internationally. That's a big plus in my book.

Reaction Score
Except the world has changed dramatically since Leetch played college hockey. Virtually every program recruits most of its players from one of the junior leagues. The number of kids going to college programs from prep schools is far fewer than it was then. Just for example, Avon Old Farms has 3 kids who were recruited this year. Two went to AHA programs and 1 to an ECAC school. The New Jersey Hitmen of the EJHL, a Tier III League, had 12, 4 of whom went to ECAC programs, 4 to Hockey East and 1 to the Big 10. You want to recruit the northeast for sure, but Connecticut talent ends up not really being Connecticut talent by the time its ready to be recruited to major college hockey. Those guys have played between 1 and 3-4 years in various junior leagues scattered around the country. The USHL largely in places like Waterloo Iowa, Dubuque, Fargo is the top Tier I league and by most estimates about 80% of the players coming through that league go on to play college hockey.

While this is true, a lot of those goes from the USHL, the US National Program, or other junior leagues are originally from other places, like CT, and so while they're not physically playing in CT, their roots and family are still in CT. For example, BU recruits heavily from the US development program, namely the U-18s. We've gotten many guys who are originally from MA but went to high school out in Michigan, where the program is based, but came back to play for BU because they've always wanted to play here, since it's the team they grew up following. While there are certainly more quality players coming out of MA than CT, there's still a good number from CT, and if Cav can start keeping the Nick Bonino's and Cam Atkinson's from going up to BU and BC, that'll be a big win for UConn.

Reaction Score
From what I've read, Cavanaugh has done well recruiting CT, New England and internationally. That's a big plus in my book.
The incoming BC recruiting class for this fall is #1 in the country by a mile, so yes, he's done something right in the recruiting world.

Reaction Score
All valid points and Cavanaugh may turn out to be Jerry York II. I was merely criticizing this foolishness about recruiting based on zip code rather than talent. We've heard it in basketball, though not so much of late. Seems winning national championships with guys from outside Connecticut tends to tamp it down there, we've been hearing in in football forever, or at least since we went D1. Now we're saying the same for hockey. OY! Give me a coach with an eye for talent and the ability to get that talent into my school and he can get it from any zip code, or international mail code, he wants.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Saw this on the women's board:

On CPTV Sports channel
Tuesday 5/14 at 7pm - Beyond The Beat -Mike Cavanaugh, UConn's new hockey coach will be our special guest

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Give me a coach with an eye for talent and the ability to get that talent into my school and he can get it from any zip code, or international mail code, he wants.

Like Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Like Kevin Ollie.
Well played Zach...
Just so you'll know, I'm not in love with this choice. Too trite. Top assistant to the best coach doesn't always work out (See Weis, Charlie or just about every UConn assistant basketball coach). It is impossible to know how much is the head coach and how much is the assistant, but I'd say most of the time its the head coach. Head coaches are head coaches for a reason and assistants, especially long time assistants, are assistants for a reason. The two jobs require different skill sets. And recruiting Connecticut, or anywhere else, to play for the best coach in the game is different than recruiting to play for his long time assistant. having said that, hockey is a little different animal where there isn't a lot of turnover, but still you have to wonder about a guy who spent 18 years as an assistant at the same place. Not that he doesn't know the game, but does he have the skill set for the top job.

Reaction Score

The fact that kids are committing earlier these days may actually help UConn in this regard. If they can get a commitment while they are here in prep school and then ship them off to the USHL for seasoning, it can be the best of both worlds. My alma mater got very promising commits a year or two ago from three prep schools - Gunnery (CT), Salisbury (CT) and Delbarton (NJ). All three recruits played in the USHL this year and will enroll in the fall far more experienced than if they'd taken the jump directly from prep (as they probably would have 10-20 years ago). UConn has already started to do this with some of its '14 and '15 commitments. We'll have to give Cavanaugh some slack because the long recruiting lead time in modern college hockey means it may be '16-'17 or even '17-'18 before he has a roster that is primarily composed of his recruits. Hopefully it will be a good one with a well established pipeline from CT and the better junior leagues such as the USHL.

Reaction Score
All valid points and Cavanaugh may turn out to be Jerry York II. I was merely criticizing this foolishness about recruiting based on zip code rather than talent. We've heard it in basketball, though not so much of late. Seems winning national championships with guys from outside Connecticut tends to tamp it down there, we've been hearing in in football forever, or at least since we went D1. Now we're saying the same for hockey. OY! Give me a coach with an eye for talent and the ability to get that talent into my school and he can get it from any zip code, or international mail code, he wants.
Just like the Florida schools have an advantage because of Florida high school football talent. The Huskies will gain an advantage because of the hockey talent in the state and region. Coach C won't need to head to the airport to begin recruiting, he can just drive to Avon. So, yes, zip code is important. It gives him an instant advantage.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony (@ManthonyCourant)
5/31/13, 7:42 PM
Source: Joe Pereira will be assistant under UConn hockey coach Mike Cavanaugh. Pereira played at BU. West Haven native. Important CT tie.

Updated story add:

Mike Anthony (@ManthonyCourant)
5/31/13, 8:36 PM
UConn Hockey Coaching Staff Is Set: Mike Cavanaugh To Hire Joe Pereira And Mike Souza

www.courant.com/sports/college/blog/hc-uconn-hockey-coaching-staff-is-set-mike-cavanaugh-to-hire-joe-pereira-and-mike-souza-20130531,0,6085101.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Reaction Score
Surprised Joe got his shot at coaching this early, he only graduated in 2011. Always was a ball-busting player for us, hustled his heart out on the ice, despite not being the most talented player on the team. Wore the C his senior year, and it was well-deserved. He very much had the makeup of someone who had more of a career in coaching as opposed to playing. No idea what his coaching skills are like, but if he can get players to perform as he did on the ice, that'll translate well for the program.

He was infamous for a play in the HE championship in 2009 where he was chasing after a Lowell guy circling behind his own net with the puck, and Joey tried so hard to catch up to him that he got his stick caught in the net, causing it to jut into his mid-section at a rapid speed and ruptured his spleen. He turned out fine, but watched the run to the title from his bedroom.

Reaction Score
Surprised Joe got his shot at coaching this early, he only graduated in 2011. Always was a ball-busting player for us, hustled his heart out on the ice, despite not being the most talented player on the team. Wore the C his senior year, and it was well-deserved. He very much had the makeup of someone who had more of a career in coaching as opposed to playing. No idea what his coaching skills are like, but if he can get players to perform as he did on the ice, that'll translate well for the program.

He was infamous for a play in the HE championship in 2009 where he was chasing after a Lowell guy circling behind his own net with the puck, and Joey tried so hard to catch up to him that he got his stick caught in the net, causing it to jut into his mid-section at a rapid speed and ruptured his spleen. He turned out fine, but watched the run to the title from his bedroom.

Great hockey family...

Reaction Score
I like the hires by Cav...2 guys who competed at the highest level in D-1 hockey..2 guys who competed at the highest level in HE. I think we may be surprised at how many living rooms these guys will get into to pitch the UCONN hockey program and a UCONN education. Every team has had their big in state catch..Chris Smith for Calhoun, Nykesha Sales for Geno, Orlovsky for Edsall..I think these guys will get their's very soon!!

Reaction Score
Mike McMahon (@MikeMcMahonCHN)
6/4/13, 8:29 PM
Hearing that word within the coaches' world is that Mike Grier is the favorite to end up at BU and former UConn coach David Berard to Brown.

(As assistant coaches)

Wish Coach B nothing but he best... He did an admirable job this year.

Reaction Score
Mike McMahon (@MikeMcMahonCHN)
6/4/13, 8:29 PM
Hearing that word within the coaches' world is that Mike Grier is the favorite to end up at BU and former UConn coach David Berard to Brown.
Wish Coach B nothing but he best... He did an admirable job this year.

Basically Berard and Souza swap Asst Coaching jobs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom