Mid Season Transfer Thread | The Boneyard

Mid Season Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and another

Raoul‏@Raoul_000
WBB: Source says former Arkansas player Jordan Danberry (5-7 soph. PG) has transferred to Mississippi State. Top 50 player in 2015 class.

Reaction Score
does the SEC have unique transfer rules ? most conference you sit for 2 years if you transfer within the conference

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've said this before, but these committee decisions need to be done with absolute transparency. The reasons why the transferring player can or cannot play and in what period of time needs to be carefully and clearly delineated. Transfers are coming hot and heavy these days with the numbers seemingly increasing yearly, and I'm tired of asking "Why her and not her?".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah - that SEC to SEC transfer is strange - I am pretty sure they have a hard two year RS requirement with or without a release.

Might as well add in the earlier ones here:

Eleanna Christinaki from Florida to Maryland

Lili Thompson from Stanford to ND (graduate transfer)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've said this before, but these committee decisions need to be done with absolute transparency. The reasons why the transferring player can or cannot play and in what period of time needs to be carefully and clearly delineated. Transfers are coming hot and heavy these days with the numbers seemingly increasing yearly, and I'm tired of asking "Why her and not her?".
Problem is that these are confidential hearings and some of the issues may be private and sensitive and no one's business but the parties involved. They are amateur athletes and confidentiality should not be breached for the curiosity of fans. I like Geno's attitude - no idea why they were granted in other cases but there was no reason for us to apply for special consideration.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
does the SEC have unique transfer rules ? most conference you sit for 2 years if you transfer within the conference

I looked this up and I think it's just one year:

4.5.5.1 Transferring within the Southeastern Conference. A transfer student from a member institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at another member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters) at the certifying institution.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0721/FINAL Bylaws 7.18.14.pdf

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Problem is that these are confidential hearings and some of the issues may be private and sensitive and no one's business but the parties involved. They are amateur athletes and confidentiality should not be breached for the curiosity of fans. I like Geno's attitude - no idea why they were granted in other cases but there was no reason for us to apply for special consideration.
I'm not interested as to why the player wants to leave. Admittedly these reasons are almost always personal. I'm interested in the seemingly arbitrary reasons as to why some players need to wait an academic year and some not, even though they may be leaving from the same circumstances. Even a little transparency there would be appreciated. Am I off base here?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm not interested as to why the player wants to leave. Admittedly these reasons are almost always personal. I'm interested in the seemingly arbitrary reasons as to why some players need to wait an academic year and some not, even though they may be leaving from the same circumstances. Even a little transparency there would be appreciated. Am I off base here?
The sitting requirement applies to any undergrad. If a student has graduated (Lilli Thompson this spring from Stanford) and they have eligibility remaining, they can transfer and play immeditely. The thinking was the student fulfilled her academic requirement as a student athlete. However the school/coach can and often must approve the waiver of an undergrad what school a player can go to. For example, Eleana Christokas was not allowed to transfer to another SEC school, hence her looking at Baylor, Louisville or Maryland. Does that help?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But the devil is in those personal details - two apparently identical situations may be significantly different based on that confidential information. And even just saying 'special circumstances' could lead to all kinds of speculation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is not accurate only two or three require the two sit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I just did a search and the only "unique" rule I found was in the Big10 that said if a player transferred to another Big 10 school, they would sit out one year AND lose a year of eligibility so if you transferred after your freshman year to another Big 10 school you would have to sit your sophomore year and and then only have 2 years left, not 3 years. I did not find any 2 yr sit requirement.

Reaction Score

As of a few years ago, I know there were about five that had a two year policy on intra-conference transfers. Those included the Atlantic 10, CAA, MVC, and the Patriot League. I know the Patriot League still has that rule in place, but I haven't checked the others.

Somewhat more common is for an athlete to lose a year of eligibility for an intra-conference transfer. As of a few years ago, conferences such as the ACC, PAC12, Big 10, Big 12, and MWC had that rule. I know the PAC12 still has that rule, and I think the others do.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
De'Janae Boykin (Penn St), a former transfer from UConn.........

I've been keeping tabs on our recent transfers. Boykin has only played in 6 games so far this season, and none lately. I understand she did not become eligible until mid-season. Anyone have any current or updated information on Boykin?

Reaction Score
De'Janae Boykin (Penn St), a former transfer from UConn....

I've been keeping tabs on our recent transfers. Boykin has only played in 6 games so far this season, and none lately. I understand she did not become eligible until mid-season. Anyone have any current or updated information on Boykin.

Boykin's status remains a mystery. She began her Penn State career averaging 14 points a game. Banks provided valuable minutes, and Sadie Edwards is lighting up USC, At 6' 2", De'Janae promised at least that much help for her new team

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
De'Janae Boykin (Penn St), a former transfer from UConn....

I've been keeping tabs on our recent transfers. Boykin has only played in 6 games so far this season, and none lately. I understand she did not become eligible until mid-season. Anyone have any current or updated information on Boykin?
De'Janae last played in a game for Penn State on January 7, 2017 against Purdue playing only 7 minutes. She has not played in the last 5 PSU games.
The start of Spring Semester for PSU was January 9th.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Players transfer for a variety of reasons but this one was a head scratcher. It's not lack of playing time. And she was a great little point guard for the Wolverines.
She's from Long Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69