Michala Johnson back at Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
May be Stokes should come back to UConn studying a Ph.D. degree,

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I guess she didn't want to go to New York, and literally climbed back into the womb. I wonder if she'll get drafted again next year after pulling this stunt.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I guess she didn't want to go to New York, and literally climbed back into the womb. I wonder if she'll get drafted again next year after pulling this stunt.
not a stunt... the NCAA "just" decided her fate, so that changed everything! The Liberty nor MJ sat around waiting, the NCAA did.

the Liberty still own her rights (I think)...

Reaction Score

How is this a 'stunt?' The kid can get a 6th year of college eligibility and do more work on a degree that will surely pay her more money than basketball in the long run.

Carnac

Reaction Score
How is this a 'stunt?' The kid can get a 6th year of college eligibility and do more work on a degree that will surely pay her more money than basketball in the long run.
I called it a stunt because 1. Rarely does any college get 6 years of eligibility granted to them. I assumed (incorrectly I might add) that she knew she had more eligibility, and declared for the draft. The NCAA could have and should have made a decision on granting her a 6th year or not BEFORE the WNBA draft. This is unprecedented. Getting drafted, then going back to school for another year. Correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that when you declare for the draft, after a certain date (usually the Monday before the draft), you can't withdraw from it. She withdrew AFTER the draft had taken place, and AFTER she was selected by a team. THAT'S why I called it a stunt. 2. I've NEVER heard of or seen this done before. My question is why did the NCAA wait so long in making this decision? What changed in the last two weeks that made a difference in their decision? Why could this decision not have been rendered a month earlier BEFORE the draft? Someone is dragging their feet in the NCAA office. If I'm the Liberty, I'm upset. I could have used that draft pick on someone else that is in fact coming out, and could have made the cut, and helped us win some games. I call them like I see then. When was the last time you saw someone get drafted, and then go back to school for another year? I went to Wisconsin's website and read an article explaining how this scenario occurred. I don't follow Wisconsin basketball, nor do I follow Michala Johnson. I wrote my comment based on the comments of others on the thread. Admittedly, sometimes this can be a dangerous practice. Especially if one wants to maintain some semblance of credibility. I called it like I saw it at the time. Again...when was the last time any college (man or woman) basketball player got drafted by the NBA or WNBA, then went back to school? This is an aberration to be sure.

Reaction Score
I called it a stunt because 1. Rarely does any college get 6 years of eligibility granted to them. I assumed (incorrectly I might add) that she knew she had more eligibility, and declared for the draft. The NCAA could have and should have made a decision on granting her a 6th year or not BEFORE the WNBA draft. This is unprecedented. Getting drafted, then going back to school for another year. Correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that when you declare for the draft, after a certain date (usually the Monday before the draft), you can't withdraw from it. She withdrew AFTER the draft had taken place, and AFTER she was selected by a team. THAT'S why I called it a stunt. 2. I've NEVER heard of or seen this done before. My question is why did the NCAA wait so long in making this decision? What changed in the last two weeks that made a difference in their decision? Why could this decision not have been rendered a month earlier BEFORE the draft? Someone is dragging their feet in the NCAA office. If I'm the Liberty, I'm upset. I could have used that draft pick on someone else that is in fact coming out, and could have made the cut, and helped us win some games. I call them like I see then. When was the last time you saw someone get drafted, and then go back to school for another year? I went to Wisconsin's website and read an article explaining how this scenario occurred. I don't follow Wisconsin basketball, nor do I follow Michala Johnson. I wrote my comment based on the comments of others on the thread. Admittedly, sometimes this can be a dangerous practice. Especially if one wants to maintain some semblance of credibility. I called it like I saw it at the time. Again...when was the last time any college (man or woman) basketball player got drafted by the NBA or WNBA, then went back to school? This is an aberration to be sure.

I think this may be a good time to change your avatar.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for her - hopefully she gets 100% healthy and shows everyone what she can do. Maybe have a "breakout" year like Tuck had. Either way Johnson was putting up really good numbers IIRC when she was healthy at Badgerville...

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on the WNBA draft, but I believe your premise is faulty because I don't think Johnson declared for the draft. I don't think you have to declare for the draft if you are automatically eligible according to the rules. If you still have college eligibility left, then you have to renounce that eligibility in order to be drafted. At the time of the draft, Johnson had no college eligibility left to renounce.

Reaction Score
Larry Bird..may not have been the last time, but pretty close.

Reaction Score
You didn't cross your I's or dot your T's . You are now on the Boneyard. I think some thought possibly a more suitable word would have been used to replace STUNT. Stunt implies a game or something with strange or unnecessary motivations. I don't remember this kind of support for Johnson while she was at Uconn. Her physical problems got her few if any minutes at Uconn, Geno did her a favor asking or allowing her to leave. I guess this is some feedback your envelops didn't foresee.

Reaction Score
Could it be that the Liberty will retain the right to M. Johnson for 2016? Maybe
they knew what they were doing. Lets not forget that she may still be rehabing.
I don't know the answer to this question but I'm sure it will be answered shortly.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on the WNBA draft, but I believe your premise is faulty because I don't think Johnson declared for the draft. I don't think you have to declare for the draft if you are automatically eligible according to the rules. If you still have college eligibility left, then you have to renounce that eligibility in order to be drafted. At the time of the draft, Johnson had no college eligibility left to renounce.

BINGO... I think he's getting this mixed up with what the guys do

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think this may be a good time to change your avatar.
If I continue to make comments based on knee-jerk reactions that later prove to be in error, you may be right. It's too early to talk about changing avatars. I'd have to string together a series of inaccurate posts and blunders before any thought could be given about changing avatars. That being said, I'll keep it for the time being. The cape and turban served me well the last two seasons. I had a 90% success rate predicting games last year (no one is right ALL the time). I'm right more than I'm wrong. I don't have a problem being challenged by someone who thinks a comment is incorrect or not factual. Opinions cannot be backed up with facts. They can be based on interpretation of facts and records. Everyone does not read, understand, and draw the same conclusions from the same set of facts. One can think a person is a horrible coach. Another person can think that same person is a great coach. Those two conclusions are opinions. This type of banter goes on a lot on the ESPN threads. I love the reaction and the feedback my comment received. I'm new to the boneyard, and I love it already. I'm a regular poster on ESPN's threads. I'm not a person that likes or needs to argue and challenge every comment that is contrary to my belief and or understanding. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and I don't have to have the last word. I come here more for information than to comment. I've already read news items and stories that I can't get anywhere else. Just for the record, I'm a huge UConn women's basketball fan. This appears to be the place to be if you want the latest news and information about program during the summer months. Sometimes we'll agree. Sometimes we'll agree to disagree. That's why we come here. To read others comments, and in turn share our comments.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You didn't cross your I's or dot your T's . You are now on the Boneyard. I think some thought possibly a more suitable word would have been used to replace STUNT. Stunt implies a game or something with strange or unnecessary motivations. I don't remember this kind of support for Johnson while she was at Uconn. Her physical problems got her few if any minutes at Uconn, Geno did her a favor asking or allowing her to leave. I guess this is some feedback your envelops didn't foresee.
I'm not new to posting and commenting. I'm a regular poster on the ESPN threads. I've never had someone suggest to me that I change my avatar, or that they had a problem with a word that I used. If they took issue, it was with the whole comment, not a word to two. I've admitted to not being completely aware of Johnson's situation. I don't follow her, and I've never been a fan of hers. I don't have anything for or against her. I don't follow Wisconsin women's basketball. I'm a UConn fan. I really don't care what she does, or where she goes. I just thought it odd that she could get drafted, and then go back to college. A huge reason for that snafu was the NCAA dragging their feet on making a timely decision with regard to her remaining eligibility. As for my choice of words. I could have used a more subtle adjective to describe what I believed her actions to be. I'm still comfortable with the word I chose to use...STUNT. I'm not here to ruffle any feathers. I've been commenting and posting for years. The folks that comment on ESPN's thread have a lot thicker skin than some of you appear to have. That same post there would not have raised an eyebrow, let alone a comment. The parameters are not quite as stringent there, thus giving the posters a much wider birth with respect to self expression. At times, they get down and very dirty. I understand the concept of "when in Rome, do as the Roman's do", which I will adhere to. But if some of you were offended because I used the word "STUNT", we're going to have some lively debates in the future. I stated MY opinion. If you don't agree with it, that's OK. I'm secure enough in my ability to formulate thoughts and ideas, and translate them into written expression. When I post a comment, it will be written to MY satisfaction, not yours. If you choose to read it fine. If not, move on. I'll use the words and phrases I deem appropriate that best express the thought or observation I'm attempting to share, not the words I think YOU may be comfortable with, or deem acceptable. I don't do character assassination, or name calling. You'll never read me calling out, or berating a UConn player or coach. I'm a UConn supporter, not a detractor. I'm very easy going. We can agree to disagree, but I'm not going to be dictated to by any poster who has a problem with my choice of words. If you see the post, that means that the censors have read it, and approved it's content for posting. That's good enough for me. Remember....No one is twisting your arm or forcing you to read my comments. Everybody please...........have a blessed day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom