Mets Hot Stove | The Boneyard

Mets Hot Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cuddyer retires. The thought is the Mets will buy out some of his final year (12m), I guess. How does that work towards their salary total? Did they just free up a big chunk of change to go and sign someone like Cespedes?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They'll pay him something to buy out the contract, but no doubt they're saving a good chunk of change. Not enough for a Cespedes, as that's not the type of signing (six-plus years for a 30-something) that they're looking for imo.

In any event, class move by a class guy. Dare say it's not a bad example for Wright to consider if his back issues flare up again.

Reaction Score
Dare say it's not a bad example for Wright to consider if his back issues flare up again.

Hahaha, yeah, I am sure he will retire owed $87 million. He would sit on the DL for the entire length of the deal and collect it all before that happens, just like Mo Vaughn did.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hahaha, yeah, I am sure he will retire owed $87 million. He would sit on the DL for the entire length of the deal and collect it all before that happens, just like Mo Vaughn did.
Ya gotta believe!

Reaction Score
8893 said:
Ya gotta believe!

Wasn't there a pitcher for KC a few years back who retired and said it didn't seem fair to make the club pay him to be on the DL for three years?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Goid riddance to Cuddyer. Worse pick up then McReynolds. What a bust. Conforto the future.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a pitcher for KC a few years back who retired and said it didn't seem fair to make the club pay him to be on the DL for three years?

It was Gil Meche and it was one year.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on Cespedes?

Heading into the winter, I wasn't bullish on signing him to a whopper of a contract, but I think there's been enough time and enough teams have signed other players where the Mets will be losers here if they don't get something done on him and let him go. The lack of any real improvement in the offseason is disappointing and no one else is out there via FA to bring this year's opening day lineup equal to last year's final day lineup. Any trades and we give up a young arm. Spend the money, Mets.

Reaction Score
Deepster said:
Thoughts on Cespedes? Heading into the winter, I wasn't bullish on signing him to a whopper of a contract, but I think there's been enough time and enough teams have signed other players where the Mets will be losers here if they don't get something done on him and let him go. The lack of any real improvement in the offseason is disappointing and no one else is out there via FA to bring this year's opening day lineup equal to last year's final day lineup. Any trades and we give up a young arm. Spend the money, Mets.

It's ridiculous that they aren't moving on from a 1-3 year deal. No reason not to offer 4 or 5 with an opt out. Granderson is gone in 2 years, let him move to RF at that time. Can live with him in CF for two years. I despise the Wilpons.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
From an outsiders perspective, the Mets need Cespedes. Even with all that pitching, they were on the outside looking in until he got there. He got you to the playoffs. Once, there, Murphy got you to the Series. If both end up leaving, how can you think of being better than you were in late-June.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
From an outsiders perspective, the Mets need Cespedes. Even with all that pitching, they were on the outside looking in until he got there. He got you to the playoffs. Once, there, Murphy got you to the Series. If both end up leaving, how can you think of being better than you were in late-June.

Easy, the while Cespedes was greet for 6 weeks he was also terrible for 7. The main mis-conception is that we were nothing before Yo. That's wrong. We didn't score bc we had Muno, Ceciliano, Recker/Plawecki, Campbell and Mayberry playing A TON of games all together due to injuries. The lineup turned around when we brought Conforto up, Wright came back, TDA came back, Uribe and Johnson were coming off the bench. The 2017 team has more depth, and a bench full of real major leaguers. The lineup is deeper with guys who can hit at least 15-20 HRs 1-7 (not Lagares). Cespedes would be icing on the cake, much like last year. A lot depends on Wright's health and TDA but unlike last year we have real MLers to back up Wright and hopefully TDA won't miss 100 games again. Also, if need be, not signing Yo will allow them the flexibility to get another bat at the deadline for 3rd, CF, 1st, C, wherever it is needed. If we got Yoenis back, it really limits their flexibility to upgrade in July. Also, this team will be getting a full year of Thor, Matz (hopefully), no innings limits and Wheeler back in late June/July and a revamped pen.

Reaction Score
But when they were great for the 6 weeks, they walked away with the division during that time. The Nats starting pitching is still top tier and their lineup is solid. To think the Mets can go into the first half without a presence in the middle of their lineup and do what they did last year again this season is fool's gold. The price tag on Cespedes and the longevity of the contract are reasonable. And don't even get me thinking about the thought of him joining Murphy in Washington.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And don't even get me thinking about the thought of him joining Murphy in Washington.
Yeah, I get Alderson's philosophy and all, but they can't let this happen. Even if he's right and Cespedes underperforms in the long run, I think there will be enough fan backlash at this to cost them a ton of money at the gate in the meantime. And there is no way that the offense as it is now can reliably generate enough runs to fight for the division.

Reaction Score
Who can the Mets currently rely on on offense consistently? All pitching and no hit won't win u guys anything. All pitching with decent hitting could though. Thst pitching staff is no joke but you still gotta score some runs

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Today is the day to get this deal done. He wants to stay in New York. If the Mets meet him half way both sides can claim victory. If they don't, it's a certain loser for the Mets no matter how it turns out for Cespedes.

Reaction Score
Supposedly now talking about a 3 year deal (with more $ per year than the Nats 5 year offer) with a 1 year opt out. The FA market is thinner next year, supposedly, and with a good season he'd potentially have an easier time getting his long term deal? Egads. Just pony up the extra two years now and put this to bed.

Reaction Score
I agree, it's one thing for him to go to the White Sox or Angels for 5 years. It's another for him to go to the Nats. They can NOT take that hit both PR wise from the media/fan backlash and also on the field. Get it done.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't even think they need to go to five. Go to four with an opt out and more per year and call it a day.

Reaction Score
Final piece of the puzzle.

They will get Wheeler and Mejia late in the year to fortify the bullpen. This team has a real shot this year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
A Cespedes for the Restuvus!!! Yeah baby. OF is sick!!!!
Comforto against Righties and Lagares lefties, and the Grandyman !!

Reaction Score
The coolest thing is the signing instantly took the buzz on this team up tenfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom